Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 11 2013, 07:55 PM   #811
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

I don't think the problem is so much "non-stop action", as it is a desire to move through the story as fast as possible. There's almost never any time to slow down and have a serious or thoughtful moment, which is something I think the show really needs more of.

Even when the show does try to slow down (to, say, delve into the backgrounds of Skye and Ward), it has to be through some kind of training sequence. Or the scene is so packed full of cute quips that it's hard to really take seriously.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 11:23 PM   #812
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Icemizer wrote: View Post
Very 80's you say? Coulson loves it when a plan comes together.
When gunfights result in bad guys dusting themselves off after exiting flipped-over vehicles, I am officially outta here.
Old October 12 2013, 12:00 AM   #813
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The Dead Mixer wrote: View Post
When gunfights result in bad guys dusting themselves off after exiting flipped-over vehicles, I am officially outta here.
I'm out when they go to help the cute single-mother from the evil biker gang of ex-husbands.
Old October 12 2013, 12:22 AM   #814
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

The opening skirmishes of episode 2 came close, for all the bullets flying I think there was only one body seen peripherally shot.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 12:49 AM   #815
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Two quick questions:

Which "DRTC" do you suppose Quinn was talking about in his promotional speech re: Gravitonium?

How to rationalize atomic # 123 for Gravitonium?

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 01:16 AM   #816
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I'm out when they go to help the cute single-mother from the evil biker gang of ex-husbands.
And they take a kid's piggy bank as their only form of payment!

And Ward says he ain't gettin' on no plane flown by no damn crazy woman!

Last edited by The Old Mixer; October 12 2013 at 01:26 AM.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 04:42 AM   #817
Christopher
Writer

Kytee wrote: View Post
Any idea why Coulson didn't slingshot the black gravity goo at the end ? I thought 0-8-4 suggested that this was standard operating procedure for powerful crap they can't control? I didn't get any impression that Coulson thinks Dr Hall is alive .
He was honoring Hall's wish to keep the discovery of the gravitonium secret. If it were launched into space, there'd be an official record of its existence. SHIELD would know it was out there to be found, somewhere on Earth. (After all, Quinn surely didn't mine the only quantity of it anywhere on the planet. If there was one deposit, there must be more.) And Coulson knew Hall wasn't entirely wrong in his fears that SHIELD would exploit that power for weapons -- as they did with the "Phase 2" weapons based on Tesseract/HYDRA tech before.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 04:47 AM   #818
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
My wife has officially informed me that if I wish to continue watching this show, I may proceed to do so alone.
LOL, my wife watched the second episode with me. She told me that she was glad that Coulson was alive and hopes to see him in the movies because she won't be watching the series with me.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 05:42 AM   #819
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

So what the two of you are saying is that if someone else who is not the two of you wants to make a constant 60 minute block in the week to have a steamy extramarital affair, all they have to do is show the wife Marvel Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and that they are sorted with 60 minutes of complete abandoned freedom to play around inside of?

Really?

really?

Because that's not cool.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 07:07 AM   #820
Gaith
Rear Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
This show continues to be dumb and bland. I'm not foreseeing a long run.
You've obviously never heard of a little franchise called NCIS.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 10:24 AM   #821
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Having May just turn around and decide that whatever happened wasn't all that bad after all. It is just lazy. I'm not asking for "grimdark", just drama.
I suspect this will be the focus of an episode now that she's back in the field. Coulson knew she was wasting her talent at a desk job and she must have known that accepting his offer was the first step in getting back into action. In this episode, she realized that she can't sit back and drive the bus and let Coulson do her job for her. Next she'll have to have that crucial moment where she gets past whatever's blocking her.

Vulture Capitalist wrote: View Post
I think the "22 episodes is too much!" theory is garbage. Do shows need 22 episodes? Of course not, but there's also no reason 22 episodes can't be fun and used well.
I completely agree. With good writers, there can be any number of episodes. Back in the 50s and 60s, some shows had 30 or 40 episodes in a season. These short seasons can be very frustrating.

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
It's funny how different people perceive the same thing because "not-stop action" is not at all how I would characterize this show.
I agree with this, too. Non-stop action bores me. I actually fell asleep twice during the Avengers movie and had to rewind-- only to find that I didn't actually miss anything. But SHIELD doesn't bore me at all.
Old October 12 2013, 11:37 AM   #822
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

davejames wrote: View Post
I don't think the problem is so much "non-stop action", as it is a desire to move through the story as fast as possible. There's almost never any time to slow down and have a serious or thoughtful moment, which is something I think the show really needs more of.

Even when the show does try to slow down (to, say, delve into the backgrounds of Skye and Ward), it has to be through some kind of training sequence. Or the scene is so packed full of cute quips that it's hard to really take seriously.
Totally agree with this. I also agree with another poster who said there hasn't been a moment yet that's made me think, 'Oh wow, that's awesome!'

I did think the third episode was an improvement, although it still wasn't perfect. I liked Quinn, I thought he was quite a charismatic bad guy. The scenes where the gravity was messed up was pretty cool. I liked it when Skye took the gun and then when asked if she had what it took to pull the trigger so said 'nope' and jumped out of the window.

I also liked the little hints with Coulson's muscle memory, although I am wondering how long this mystery will last, and if they're going to continue to hint at it in every episode.

I think it's a shame that Fitz and Simmons weren't involved more, I thought given that Hall was their old professor there was a chance to learn more about them.

But it's still pretty generic and there's no spark to the show.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 01:16 PM   #823
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Caught the third episode. It's my favorite so far. Finally they have a recurring villain, and one that appears formidable enough, and they finally get their first supervillain. Not sure if I'm buying the guy playing Dr. Hall as being threatening, but once he returns I might as Graviton I might. Granted I know next to nothing about Graviton so it shouldn't be a hard sell.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 02:45 PM   #824
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Well, a quick look at Graviton's wikipedia page suggests a reluctant villain, so it's kind of fitting. In his very first appearance, he attacks a laboratory and lifts it into the air. He's defeated when he's convinced that one of the scientists, who he cares about, has committed suicide (which causes him to panic and lose control of his powers).
Old October 12 2013, 04:14 PM   #825
Lonemagpie
Writer

Episode 3... That was a Leverage episode, really, but with less wit, rather than a Marvel show, IMO.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote