TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 10 2013, 03:32 PM   #766
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Kytee wrote: View Post
Any idea why Coulson didn't slingshot the black gravity goo at the end ? I thought 0-8-4 suggested that this was standard operating procedure for powerful crap they can't control? I didn't get any impression that Coulson thinks Dr Hall is alive .

-Kytee
I'd think throwing a bunch of goo that dicks around with gravity uncontrollably into the sun would be a bad idea.
Old October 10 2013, 03:54 PM   #767
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I'm sticking with SHIELD but, really, only out of some sense of loyalty to the MCU but, right now, it's not a show I'm raving about or would itch to get people to watch.
This is pretty much how I feel. I really want this show to be great, but so far it is not giving me any of those "oh my god, this is awesome" feelings.

It has potential though, so I'm willing to wait.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 04:54 PM   #768
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Kytee wrote: View Post
Still love FitzSimmons, they amuse the crap out of me

-Kytee
They are annoying. Show has been improving except them as I see it.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 04:57 PM   #769
billcosby
Commodore

The major flaw with this show is the hacking character. What's her name, Sky?

She's the epitome of cheap writing: a super sexy heroine who apparently is socially awkward, has no friends, etc etc we've seen this a million times before and it's not very exciting. I can only feel indifference towards statuesque models who are trying to play the frumpy "every(wo)man" and really have no effort to put forth to succeed, yet you know it will inevitably happen. It's probably a little insulting to the audience to use that kind of cookie cutter character, for women especially. The rest of the characters are more or less interesting.

Well, every moment Sky is not on screen is good. When she is on screen, it's not good. Maybe it's not cheap writing per se, but studio influence? "Note: Put a non spy in the show so that people will feel grounded, etc" Anyway, those were my thoughts on ep.3.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 05:11 PM   #770
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I'm not seeing the "socially awkward" part at all.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 05:53 PM   #771
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Skye Theory

It was mentioned upthread that Skye just doesn't come across as intelligent or skilled enough to be the world's greatest hacker.

I am wondering if this is on purpose.

Look at what the writer's could have done. Claudia from Warehouse 13. Charlie from Supernatural. Felicity from Arrow. Let's throw in Topher from Dollhouse for gender fairness. All of these characters had something that made them believable: A personality that was quirky enough to make us believe that they were THAT good.

Skye doesn't have this. She is ballsy, but really not that smart, not that focused, not that dedicated, not that obsessive.

The quirks that make Fitz and Simmons somewhat believable as geniuses, at least as far as the genre tropes go, are completely lacking in Skye. Is this on purpose?

Here is my thought: Rising Tide is available to her through a secret secure channel in her cell. So here is the thing, what if she is not the hacker? What if the hacker is elsewhere, and she is just the front? What if every brilliant hack she does is being pulled off by someone else behind the scenes?

Look at what happens in "The Asset." She goes to her phone and she has an invite. She doesn't have access to her computer, there are no firewalls to break through, she sends a text, and a moment later she has an invite to the party.

Who did she send the text to? Quinn? Or Rising Tide?

Skye doesn't come across as a genius. She comes across as a groupie that provides the face and voice for the real anti-goverment nerd(s) that spend 24/7 in front of a computer screen and have no clue how to address the public.

So, I might be completely off base, but if it isn't something lke this, the IMHO the character is very poorly drawn and needs some serious revision to be believable. Given the writers' previous efforts, I think they have more in mind than what we've seen so far.

Last edited by LaxScrutiny; October 10 2013 at 06:08 PM.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 06:17 PM   #772
Kytee
Commander

Re: Skye Theory

I'd think throwing a bunch of goo that dicks around with gravity uncontrollably into the sun would be a bad idea.
Very good point, they probably like the sun the way it is.

LaxScrutiny wrote: View Post
It was mentioned upthread that Skye just doesn't come across as intelligent or skilled enough to be the world's greatest hacker.

I am wondering if this is on purpose.

The quirks that make Fitz and Simmons somewhat believable as geniuses, at least as far as the genre tropes go, are completely lacking in Skye. Is this on purpose?

Here is my thought: Rising Tide is available to her through a secret secure channel in her cell. So here is the thing, what if she is not the hacker? What if the hacker is elsewhere, and she is just the front? What if every brilliant hack she does is being pulled off by someone else behind the scenes?

Look at what happens in "The Asset." She goes to her phone and she has an invite. She doesn't have access to her computer, there are no firewalls to break through, she sends a text, and a moment later she has an invite to the party.

Who did she send the text to? Quinn? Or Rising Tide?

Skye doesn't come across as a genius. She comes across as a groupie that provides the face and voice for the real anti-goverment nerd(s) that spend 24/7 in front of a computer screen and have no clue how to address the public.

So, I might be completely off base, but if it isn't something lke this, the IMHO the character is very poorly drawn and needs some serious revision to be believable. Given the writers' previous efforts, I think they have more in mind than what we've seen so far.
Well said, I'm having the same problem with the character, and I also wonder if it's done on purpose. However my pet theory is she's going to turn out to have supernatural hacking skills, it just comes to her without much effort.

The very first time she mentions her hacking skills she say's she is 'Weirdly' good with computers when talking to Mike in the coffee shop. We also have more then one bit of dialog about how she hacked SHIELD with very little tech ' A laptop she won in a bet'
To me that's like saying she can carve stone like Michelangelo; using only a wet noodle. Maybe they are just trying to emphasize how good she is and I'm reading to much into it.

-Kytee
Kytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 07:42 PM   #773
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

AoS has gotten a full season order. So we'll at least have 20 more episodes for them to iron out the kinks and make this show something truly special.
Old October 10 2013, 07:50 PM   #774
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

To be fair, Quinn did say that she just asked for an invite.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 08:02 PM   #775
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

AoS has gotten a full season order. So we'll at least have 20 more episodes for them to iron out the kinks and make this show something truly special.
Marvel's Agents of SHIELD given a full 22 episode order.

ABC is investing in a full first season of “Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD,” after the first three episodes of the tentpole drama drew impressive returns in adults 18-49.

Full season pickup takes “SHIELD’s” episode count to 22.

“SHIELD” opened to over 12 million viewers on Sept. 24 (the Alphabet’s biggest drama debut in four years), and while the program has seen a decline since its premiere, it is still holding strong against juggernaut timeslot competitors “The Voice” on NBC and “NCIS” on CBS.

“SHIELD” ranks as the night’s top series in key male demos, which is a notable win given the typically femme-skewing viewership of ABC.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 08:02 PM   #776
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

After she hacked into their system and said "YOOHOO!" instead of bringing it all crashing down.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 08:48 PM   #777
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Marvel's Agents of SHIELD given a full 22 episode order.

ABC is investing in a full first season of “Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD,” after the first three episodes of the tentpole drama drew impressive returns in adults 18-49.

Full season pickup takes “SHIELD’s” episode count to 22.

“SHIELD” opened to over 12 million viewers on Sept. 24 (the Alphabet’s biggest drama debut in four years), and while the program has seen a decline since its premiere, it is still holding strong against juggernaut timeslot competitors “The Voice” on NBC and “NCIS” on CBS.

“SHIELD” ranks as the night’s top series in key male demos, which is a notable win given the typically femme-skewing viewership of ABC.
Yay!

Well, It's "Yay"for me anyway...

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 09:03 PM   #778
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Even people who don't like the show should have no interest in wanting it canceled, best as I can tell.
Old October 10 2013, 09:16 PM   #779
stj
Rear Admiral

RJDemonicus wrote: View Post
Coulson's a fantastic character, of course, and so far it's been free of all the adolescent grittiness that's plagued so much pop culture over the past years.
Clark Gregg and a guest actor speechifying at each other about hard choices, followed by Gregg pushing him into a turbine, sorry, that's committing to adolescent grittiness. It's not just a shout out to Firefly fans.

The Coulson persona is very pleasant, but...We listened to the scientist guy explain why he wanted to kill the the ostensible guest villain by destroying the gravity whatsis. We want to believe when Coulson announces that his security measures are what they guy would have wanted, but unless you just aren't watching the show, you can't. He just said what he wanted, which was to kill Smarmy.

High school dropout who just naturally whizzes as computer science. Well, high school is more about social adjustment than education, so that's irrelevant. Nonetheless, Sky's militant ignorance contradicts the ostensible character. Reversing her alleged political commitments for no obvious reason destroys what little character she had in the first place.

SHIELD exists to preserve the status quo, no matter what. I know we're all supposed to be raving reactionaries since the Wall has fallen, but shouldn't somebody want to actually change things? Having Mr. Smarmy associate social change with nineteenth century capitalism may have suited Whedon's nineteenth century politics but it gives SHIELD an unpleasant status as villains in their own story.
Old October 10 2013, 09:17 PM   #780
RAMA
Vice Admiral

This show continues to be dumb and bland. I'm not foreseeing a long run.

RAMA