The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 4 2013, 10:33 AM   #601
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

RJDemonicus wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post

Bit of a long shot (and I'm no expert in Marvel comic mythos) but isn't the guy who gave that sceptre to Loki supposed to be the master of death or some such? You know, the sceptre Coulson was stabbed with? The one last seen in SHIELD's (Romanoff's) hands?

Just saying maybe there's a connection there.
That would be Thanos, yes. Interesting thought, although I suspect that they're going to save any big Thanos-related revelations for the movies . . ..
A tie-in with Thanos seems like a strong possibility, considering what's supposed to be coming up in the movies.
I'm not suggesting he make a personal appearance, or even referred to by name--because they don't even know he exists yet--but if a guy croaks after he gets shanked by the "sceptre of death" then comes back to life...well that seems just too good for a writer to pass up! It's entirely possible to work this angle while keeping the characters mostly in the dark and simultaneously tease the audience for 'Guardians of the Galaxy'.

Maybe that thing sent his "soul" to Niflheim (or is it Helheim?) and Thor had to get him back? Maybe the memories were so traumatic they had to be suppressed hence the Tahiti related post-hypnotic suggestion/conditioned response he keeps parroting.

Or maybe it's like that glove in Torchwood (I know, not the best example) or maybe he's being sustained by some "magic" like say the tesseract...you know, the thing that powered the sceptre he was stabbed with?

Small aside, but didn't the Chitauri all drop dead the second their connection to Thanos was lost...? I forget if it happened when the nuke took out that mothership/space station or when the wormhole closed.

Oh and Agent Ward is neither Batman nor Bond. He's clearly more of a Jason Bourne type (pre-memory loss.)

Last edited by Reverend; October 4 2013 at 11:00 AM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 11:46 AM   #602
Mr Light
Admiral

I hope they do some kind of indirect tie-in to every movie that comes out. Not necessarily having movie characters guest-star, but dealing with the destructive aftermath of the movie and doing some kind of foreshadowing to the movie's events.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 11:51 AM   #603
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Though them calling the plane a "bus" is similar to how the crew called Serenity their "boat.")
Fury also called the Helicarrier a boat which whilst it technically is, he said it whilst they were flying.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 01:04 PM   #604
Lonemagpie
Writer

but if a guy croaks after he gets shanked by the "sceptre of death" then comes back to life...well that seems just too good for a writer to pass up!
They're definitely working an angle about that in some way, since there was that line about "he must never know" when the subject of him having been in Tahiti to recover comes up - I'm guessing at the very least it was more complicated than being in Tahiti, and maybe he's not the original Coulson.

Just so long as it doesn't involve a song about him having been pulled out of heaven.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 01:54 PM   #605
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Maybe that thing sent his "soul" to Niflheim (or is it Helheim?) and Thor had to get him back? Maybe the memories were so traumatic they had to be suppressed hence the Tahiti related post-hypnotic suggestion/conditioned response he keeps parroting.
Given that the Cinema'Verse is playing the Asgardians as a highly advanced ET species, journeys to Niflheim, Hel and Valhalla as depicted in the comics would seem to be ruled out.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 03:36 PM   #606
Reverend
Rear Admiral

DEWLine wrote: View Post
Given that the Cinema'Verse is playing the Asgardians as a highly advanced ET species, journeys to Niflheim, Hel and Valhalla as depicted in the comics would seem to be ruled out.
^That's why I put the word soul in "quotation marks."

Indeed, for all we know that place Loki kept communicating with may have been one of the two underworlds as I do recall something that looked like a dark version of the yggdrasil nebula being in the back ground. Remember that the last time we saw Loki he was falling to his apparent death from the bifrost. Where else would dead, fallen Asgardians/Frost Giants end up? In top of that it *is* the home of the Marvel version of death incarnate, no?

Of course that would mean that the plot of Avengers was really about an undead villain opening a gateway to hell and unleashing it's hordes upon the Earth...which is totally not something Joss Whedon has ever done before.
Old October 4 2013, 05:45 PM   #607
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Synopsis for 1.05, "The Girl In The Flower Dress"...

An elusive girl in a flower dress may hold the key to the mystery that brings Coulson and team to Asia to rescue a young man with an unusual and dangerous power; and Skye has a secret that jeopardizes her relationship with the team right when they need her most.
While the description says "Asia", the episode is supposedly introducing an obscure Savage Land character from the comics named "Raina". (Unless this another "Mike Peterson" situation where they just happened latch on to a similar name.)

I would love to see the Savage Land brought to life. I wonder how expensive it would be to do an episode filled with dinosaurs?
Old October 4 2013, 06:14 PM   #608
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Isn't the Savage Land an X-men thing? That's what I thought at least but I guess not of they're allowed to use it on this show.
Old October 4 2013, 06:16 PM   #609
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

The Savage Land and Ka-Zar (At least the modern version of the character) were introduced in X-Men 10, but I'd call it less of an "X-Men thing" and much more of a "Marvel thing". I doubt it would have included with the X-Men franchise rights.
Old October 4 2013, 07:34 PM   #610
Christopher
Writer

I wonder if a visit to Asia means that Chloe Bennet will get a chance to speak Mandarin.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 09:10 PM   #611
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Coulson=Mal
May=Walsh & River
Grant=Simon & Jane
Skye=Kaylee

Fitz & Simmons do not equate to Book but I can see at least where she's going with that analogy.
If you have to draw traits from two different characters on one show to compare to one character on another show, I'd call that proof that there is no legitimate analogy.
Whoa, whoa, whoa slow down there guys.
I was just playing along with LaxScrutiny, seems it was taken way, way too serious by a few of you.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 11:34 PM   #612
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

Synopsis for 1.06. "The New Adventures of Old Lola"
Agent Coulson is visited by a mysterious woman from his past. Guest star: Julia Louis-Dreyfus.
Old October 4 2013, 11:43 PM   #613
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Coulson=Mal
May=Walsh & River
Grant=Simon & Jane
Skye=Kaylee

Fitz & Simmons do not equate to Book but I can see at least where she's going with that analogy.
If you have to draw traits from two different characters on one show to compare to one character on another show, I'd call that proof that there is no legitimate analogy.
I was just playing along with LaxScrutiny, seems it was taken way, way too serious by a few of you.
Cabin in the Woods.

Specific genres rely on the inclusion of specific archetypes.

I want Julia to play Madame Hydra, when she had to wear that angry octopus on her head as a wig to stay living and breathing.

(Emily Rutherford next please.)

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 11:47 PM   #614
Christopher
Writer

Sorry, I meant the generic/indefinite "you," as in the less pretentious version of "one." Nothing personal was intended.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2013, 12:07 AM   #615
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I create more enemies that way...

It's like when they were inventing English, that this odd flaw is a pomposity valve that attracts unnaturally angry persons to punch (indefinitely) you in the face.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote