Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 17 2014, 04:53 PM   #5731
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
After hearing it was going to air between Agents of Shield I had wondered if it would have a short order.
Well, we always knew it would have less than 22, but I'm surprised it's quite that low.
I actually think that's a good number. No filler episodes.
Old May 18 2014, 12:05 AM   #5732
Reverend
Rear Admiral

After hearing it was going to air between Agents of Shield I had wondered if it would have a short order.
Well, we always knew it would have less than 22, but I'm surprised it's quite that low.
Yeah I would have expected something more like 10-13, but it does appear to be fairly short notice as far as these things go, so perhaps we shouldn't be too surprised.

Assuming all goes well, I'd anticipate the second season will get a larger order. Probably not a full 22 episodes given the extra inherent cost of doing any period piece (never-mind one with super spies and cold war era bond villains) but something in the 10-16 range.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2014, 05:41 AM   #5733
Aldo
Admiral

Looks like most of the ground has been covered with this episode. But I didn't notice anyone bring this up:

When Garret punches the army general in the stomach did anyone else think that could be a subtle reference to Paxton's (small) role in Terminator? I'm pretty sure he was the punk that Arnold punched through the stomach in a similar manner.
Old May 18 2014, 08:07 AM   #5734
kitik
Lieutenant Commander

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
I was hoping for 13 episodes, but I guess 8 will do. If nothing else, I hope it means they have a solid and tight arc lined up for the show.

By the way, should this be discussed in an Agent Carter thread?
kitik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2014, 10:37 AM   #5735
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I had Sebastian Shaw and Sebastian Stan mixed up there, which was why I was confused...
Tosk wrote: View Post
Heh, and I was thinking of the actor Sebastian Shaw instead of the character.
I was thinking Sebastian the Crab. I can see him disemboweling somebody in a fit of pique.
Old May 18 2014, 01:58 PM   #5736
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
You think a 13 episode season would have filter episodes? I understand a 22 episode season probably would, but 13?
Old May 18 2014, 09:48 PM   #5737
shivkala
Rear Admiral

^
One could argue Doctor Who, which runs about 13 episodes a season, has filler episodes ("Love and Monsters" immediately springs to mind). And while it had 16 episodes, instead of 13, The Walking Dead has had a few filler episodes in terms of seasons 3-4. I left out season 2, since most view the whole season, arguably, as a filler season. Most recently, "Still," seems to be viewed universally as a filler episode.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2014, 11:05 PM   #5738
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Some people's definition of "filler episodes" persistently baffles me. Most seem to think "filler" is anything that's not directly advancing the main plot.
To my way of thinking, "filler" means the episode does *nothing* but kill time. It is not bottle shows with a focus on character ahead of plot, nor is it world building episodes.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2014, 12:09 AM   #5739
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile

I just want to say that I was a bit iffy on AGENTS of Shield when it first started, and for the first several episodes. It really started to get good after a while though and is turning to a fun show that can maybe stand on its own without relying on movie references. I hope this trend continues in the next season. It's also interesting to see that we seem to be getting quite a cast shake-up so early on.
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2014, 12:26 AM   #5740
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

But the movie references are half the fun...especially if you drink every time they say "Romanoff"!
Old May 19 2014, 12:45 AM   #5741
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
But the movie references are half the fun...especially if you drink every time they say "Romanoff"!
It better be vodka.
Old May 19 2014, 04:33 AM   #5742
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
Some people's definition of "filler episodes" persistently baffles me. Most seem to think "filler" is anything that's not directly advancing the main plot.
To my way of thinking, "filler" means the episode does *nothing* but kill time. It is not bottle shows with a focus on character ahead of plot, nor is it world building episodes.
QFT. I can't even imagine thinking "Still" (for example) is a filler episode. I think it's also used by people to mean "episodes focusing on characters I don't like."
Old May 19 2014, 05:48 AM   #5743
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
a subtle reference to Paxton's (small) role in Terminator? I'm pretty sure he was the punk that Arnold punched through the stomach in a similar manner.
No, Paxton is the one who gets thrown backwards into the gate. Brian Thompson is the one penetrated by a Terminator hand. That said, I still made the same connection you did.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2014, 09:35 AM   #5744
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Kestrel wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
QFT. I can't even imagine thinking "Still" (for example) is a filler episode. I think it's also used by people to mean "episodes focusing on characters I don't like."
There's no such thing as filler episodes. A good episode is a good episode, and a bad episode is a bad episode.
Old May 19 2014, 01:08 PM   #5745
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

As to which episodes into which categories...that's going to be a continuing debate!

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote