Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 9 2014, 12:34 AM   #5416
Christopher
Writer

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Gaith wrote: View Post
gblews wrote: View Post
Next, we are shown Buddy lined up in the scope of Ward's rifle and then (I believe) we hear a shot.
Nope. We expect to hear one, but it cuts to a hiss-chunk sound as present-day Ward pulls a lever of some kind.
But that was deliberate parallelism. The sound of the shot blended into the sound of the lever being pulled because they were both the same thing: Ward going ahead and delivering the deathblow despite his reluctance. The whole point is that the Buddy scene is symbolic of the Fitz/Simmons scene.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 12:54 AM   #5417
Sean_McCormick
Captain

Regarding Fiz and Simmons, the art piece for this episode shows them alive in the container underwater.
Sean_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 12:57 AM   #5418
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Also, it's entirely possible the network vetoed an explicit depiction of a shot sound effect, plus reaction shot of Ward looking out from the scope. Wasting anonymous humans is one thing, but wasting a lab could bring in unwanted complaints, particularly as this show (mostly) aims for a family audience.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 02:16 AM   #5419
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Gaith wrote: View Post
gblews wrote: View Post
Next, we are shown Buddy lined up in the scope of Ward's rifle and then (I believe) we hear a shot.
Nope. We expect to hear one, but it cuts to a hiss-chunk sound as present-day Ward pulls a lever of some kind.
But that was deliberate parallelism. The sound of the shot blended into the sound of the lever being pulled because they were both the same thing: Ward going ahead and delivering the deathblow despite his reluctance. The whole point is that the Buddy scene is symbolic of the Fitz/Simmons scene.
If so it bodes well for the dog since there's no way in Hell Fitz/Simmons are dead.
Old May 9 2014, 02:19 AM   #5420
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

These is when we find out that one or both of Fitssimmons is an Atlantean double agent?

Fitz would freak the shit out if everyone on the team turned out to be a double agent except him.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 02:47 AM   #5421
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
kitik wrote: View Post
-So when the container with Fitz/Simmons dropped out of the plane from a relatively low altitude, should it have skipped along the surface or contained some sort of forward momentum from the speed of the plane?
Some, but that thing is clearly heavy and has all the aerodynamic characteristics of...well a metal cube. The drag alone should cancel out most of the lateral inertia before it hit the water. Either way, it's got to be a rough ride for Fitz & Simmons unless they somehow managed to strap themselves down in the two and a half seconds they were airborne.

Realistically there should be broken bones and concussions at best...but this is a TV show with killer cyborgs juicing on alien bio-matter, so we can let realism slide in favour of drama every once in a while.
The way I remember it The Bus was in VTOL mode with its engines rotated so it should have been moving at helicopter speed and not a C-17s cruising speed making the splash even more survivable.
Old May 9 2014, 03:02 AM   #5422
Christopher
Writer

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
If so it bodes well for the dog since there's no way in Hell Fitz/Simmons are dead.
No, because the parallel was about Ward's actions and intentions. If Fitz & Simmons live, it'll be because the team homes in on the beacon in the quarter and comes to their rescue, not because Ward "let" them live. Nobody came to the rescue of the dog -- that's the difference. Ward's intent was to kill them, just as he chose to kill the dog, however reluctantly.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 03:03 AM   #5423
intrinsical
Commodore

Its simple folks. The dog was running AWAY from Ward. Switch to the sniper and suddenly, instead of the dog running away from ward it is now running from left to right. It is an obvious switch to the perspective of a different person, most likely Garrett (unless there was a 3rd person nearby). And we did not hear a gunshot.

Similarly the Bus was in VTOL mode, moving forward slowly at a very low altitude. It is at best a four level drop. It will still hurt or even kill, but at least this is much more survivable than say a drop from 10,000ft.

Does that mean Ward has some humanity left? I don't know. All I know is it was intentionally written this way to raise the stakes, and that next week's episode will show whether anyone shot the dog and if Fitz and Simmons survive in the box (they will survive, its just a matter of how and who saved them).
Old May 9 2014, 03:12 AM   #5424
Gaith
Rear Admiral

intrinsical wrote: View Post
All I know is it was intentionally written this way to raise the stakes, and that next week's episode will show whether anyone shot the dog and if the Fitz and Simmons are in the box.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 03:38 AM   #5425
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

ABC has renewed the show and ordered Agent Carter to series.
Old May 9 2014, 03:39 AM   #5426
dansigal
Commander

ABC has renewed SHIELD and picked up Agent Carter series as well...

http://www.hitfix.com/the-fien-print...er-from-marvel
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 03:44 AM   #5427
Mr Light
Admiral

Huzzah! I don't see Agent Carter being that interesting though. Nothing truly huge can ever happen in it.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 03:58 AM   #5428
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Oh.

So that's why they were playing with all those toys from the 60s.

Oh fuck.

Is B.J. Britt going to be playing Triplett and Triplett's grandfather simultaneously?

Oh?

Derek Luke played gabe Jones in First Avenger, but recasting is always a possibility.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 04:14 AM   #5429
dansigal
Commander

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Huzzah! I don't see Agent Carter being that interesting though. Nothing truly huge can ever happen in it.
Depends on what you care about. If you're more interested in character than Marvel history, there's no limit to "huge" things that can happen, other than we know that Carter makes it thru to present day.
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 04:16 AM   #5430
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

I think they can make it work. They have a great lead in Atwell. Happy to hear about Agent Carter and Shield's renewal.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote