Nimoy Memories From Friends and Family
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Stewart: It’s in My Genes
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Star Trek Beyond
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Trek-themed Car Accessories
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old May 7 2014, 11:19 PM   #5371
kitik
Captain

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Btw.. is it official that Shield got a season 2?
No news, but I found some useful information for those of us who don't follow this stuff every year:

-ABC is announcing their fall schedule next Tuesday, May 13.

-Lots of announcements are apparently expected to happen this week, so we may know by Friday. So within the next 48 hours maybe.

-Don't assume that no early news is a bad sign, because apparently ABC hasn't officially renewed any shows for next season yet. All the other networks have made lots of early announcements, many of them months ago, but it looks like ABC is waiting to announce everything all at once.
kitik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 12:18 AM   #5372
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Pretty much seemed to confirm that she's Inhuman to me.
Skye and the GH "alien" being Inhumans is a very interesting possibility. Being an Inhuman could account for the GH alien's appearance but still allow for Skye to look normal...and Skye and parents were found in China, whereas the traditional location of the Great Refuge was somewhere in the Himalayas....
The Old Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 12:37 AM   #5373
Reverend
Rear Admiral

kitik wrote: View Post
-So when the container with Fitz/Simmons dropped out of the plane from a relatively low altitude, should it have skipped along the surface or contained some sort of forward momentum from the speed of the plane?
Some, but that thing is clearly heavy and has all the aerodynamic characteristics of...well a metal cube. The drag alone should cancel out most of the lateral inertia before it hit the water. Either way, it's got to be a rough ride for Fitz & Simmons unless they somehow managed to strap themselves down in the two and a half seconds they were airborne.

Realistically there should be broken bones and concussions at best...but this is a TV show with killer cyborgs juicing on alien bio-matter, so we can let realism slide in favour of drama every once in a while.

-Funny to see Glenn Morshower playing the general at the very end. Does this place AOS in the same universe as Transformers or X-Men?
Nah that's just the gods of typecasting at work.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 01:11 AM   #5374
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The Great Refuge was mobile. If it had been sitting there for the last 20 thousand years then the human base line characters in the Inhumans would not have looked central European, since the appearances of different ethnicities are derived from 40 thousands years of continuously similar weather and inbreeding.

Inhuman fits well, but had the child not underwent terrigenesis, or had the child come out the other other side of that transformation as still human... Which sounds familiar and pissed off Inhuman Genetic Council, creating a Moses like situation.

Skye is entirely Human in so as far as Human technology can determine, because she has been tested and prodded since S.H.I.E.L.D. found her, and then gave her that awful name.

Oh frakk.

Is that the origin they gave her?

A name so awful, that she could never settle for, that would force her to track down her REAL origin.

Cluish anagrams of Mary Sue Poots...

A Trey Opossum
Tearoom Pussy
Mousetraps Yo
Maestro Soupy
Teary Opossum
Amorous Types
Pastor Mousey
Autopsy Mores
A Mousers Typo
A Messy Uproot
Tearoom Spy Us
Mare Stops You
Smear Post You
Masseur Top Yo
Same Spot Your
Same Typos Our
Assume Too Pry
Amuse Root Spy
Meat Soup Rosy
Meaty Spoor Us
Opera Smuts Yo
Arouses My Pot
Orates My Soup
Reaps Most You
Rapes Most You
Payers Sum Too

(full list)

http://www.wordsmith.org/anagram/ana...ts+&t=1000&a=n

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 01:18 AM   #5375
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Pretty much seemed to confirm that she's Inhuman to me.
Skye and the GH "alien" being Inhumans is a very interesting possibility. Being an Inhuman could account for the GH alien's appearance but still allow for Skye to look normal...and Skye and parents were found in China, whereas the traditional location of the Great Refuge was somewhere in the Himalayas....
I don't think she has any direct relationship whatsoever with the Kree alien, nor that the Kree had anything to do with the attack. Not sure where those assumptions are coming from anyway.

I'm basing it purely on the fact that "monsters" attacked the village (a plural term suggesting a variety of them, rather than, say, "blue skinned aliens" or "monsters with tiger-like faces"), that Raina identifies herself as being like Skye, and the fact that many Inhumans can look perfectly human until their potential "inside" is released, such as with Terrigan Mist. Which certainly goes along with Raina's obsession with Skye and herself.

The fact that the Inhumans have a relationship with the Kree (they performed genertic experiments on Humans, creating the Inhumans) just makes it all the more likely to me, thus giving a reason why the extracted chemicals worked just fine on Skye without causing her to go nuts like it does on most Human subjects. It's also a nice way for Marvel to reclaim mutants without being able to actually use the Mutants.

They also hinted at their existence in one of the movies, with The Fault scribbled on Selvig's chalkboard.

Also, I seriously doubt if Skye learned to master shapeshifting into human form as a toddler, and never noticed she had such an ability.

Last edited by Mister Fandango; May 8 2014 at 01:42 AM.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 02:17 AM   #5376
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Have you considered how difficult it is to be a Skrull parent if there wasn't a simple device that allowed you to temporarily lock the genetic structure of your toddler like some humans harness their kids to leashes before they take them to the park.

(Although Skrulls have hypnotic powers, so they might not even need a device... Although, since the Johnny Storm's egg was a fake, and everything we found out about Skrull biology from the Skrull Kill Krew... Are we sure that Skrulls breed at all? They could just assimilate by feeding parts of themselves to other races?)

If my parents leashed me in public, after the first time I saw the Empire Strikes Back, I would have added one plus one and those fucks would have gone down.

Old May 8 2014, 02:19 AM   #5377
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Tying the GH alien in as another potential Inhuman is my contribution. An Inhuman can look like pretty much anything, and it fits with Sif's assertion that the Kree hadn't visited Earth recently.

Skye doesn't need to be a shapeshifter, several of the most prominent Inhumans look like humans (Black Bolt, Medusa, Crystal, Maximus).

A bit more circumstantial evidence of an Inhuman connection with the GH alien....I was just rewatching the episode with the Guest House, the location of which was a subject of debate here. Between it being in a WWII bunker and the guards' passphrase being "How was the drive from Istanbul?", I'd say that a Eurasian location would be quite likely.
Old May 8 2014, 02:49 AM   #5378
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I think you misunderstand the nature of code phrases like that.
Old May 8 2014, 03:32 AM   #5379
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I'm well aware, but it would make sense for the code phrase to sound innocuous within the setting.
Old May 8 2014, 03:37 AM   #5380
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Clearly nobody thought it was anything but a callsign, though. Then again, Coulson has good deductive reasoning so he might have figured it out anyway, but there might have been at least some confusion is they could have driven from Istanbul.
Old May 8 2014, 03:39 AM   #5381
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

It makes a lot more sense for a WWII bunker to be someplace where you could drive from Istanbul than in America, where there wasn't a ground war.
Old May 8 2014, 03:50 AM   #5382
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

I would say she's a member of the Frost Giants.
Old May 8 2014, 04:18 AM   #5383
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

GH = Growth Hormone?

Old May 8 2014, 04:47 AM   #5384
Tosk
Rear Admiral

gblews wrote: View Post
Yep, there was a reason we were shown that little bit. But it was the first thing I thought about when Fitz set off the EMP. I'm sure there will be some technobabbly reason it didn't get fried.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that electronics that are not in use when an EMP goes off remain unaffected. Only operational electronics are wiped. At least, that's the way it is often presented in fiction.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2014, 09:59 AM   #5385
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Well, this felt more like SHIELD again, with the can-do attitude and everybody on the team back in character. And Triplett is fitting right in nicely. I loved the 60s-era spy tech, Coulson's reaction to it, and Fitz's use of it to fry Garrett. Also loved Coulson and May going undercover and their "file transfer." Not to mention the pizza delivery to "Pablo Hernandez."

Ward was clearly a psychopath even before Garrett messed with him, and he had no problem killing the dog and Fitz/Simmons despite having mixed feelings (unless they reveal that it was actually Garrett who killed the dog). But there have been worse characters on TV that have been redeemed-- Spike and Londo, for example-- so who knows? But he's so boring now that I'd just as soon they kill him off. Hopefully this "SHIELD No More" storyline won't last very long anyway.

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Did anyone else get a chuckle out of Ian Quinn's "Better, stronger, faster" comment?
Yeah.