Meaney In Talks For McGuinness Role
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Stewart And Son To Act Together

Quinto: If I Wasn’t An Actor…

Star Trek Beyond Update

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old May 7 2014, 01:05 PM   #5356
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

"Blue" doesn't really make them seem like monsters?

Did the partial corpse seem enlarged?

Although a Kree Sentinel.

Those Bastards are massive.

Let's say Skye is 20, so really in 1994 are we really to expect that sort of language was going to be used by the most uneducated rural hicks in Red China.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 01:14 PM   #5357
dansigal
Captain

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
I think maybe Ward did with Fitzsimmons what Garrett did to him--Left them to their own devices to survive. Tough love.
It's comic book killing of a sort.. this way he can claim he executed Garrett's order while having the small chance of them surviving. Ward may be in Garrett's camp from the beginning but he's clearly not a cold killer like Garrett.
I didn't see this is Ward being particularly lenient. Yes, the method he chose to get rid of them gives them a chance of survival (and clearly they'll be fine), but i don't think that's why he chose it. They had locked themselves in that room/container thing. He couldn't get to them otherwise, so dropping them in the ocean like that, which in real life is an absolute death sentence, was his only way of executing Garrett's orders.
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 01:18 PM   #5358
Forbin
Admiral

Or could she just be using the term "Monsters" to indicate they were evil people committing mass murder?

That would be a typical real-world way to use the term. On the other hand, this IS a comic book, so...
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 01:30 PM   #5359
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

But Flowers has the horn for super powers.

"Transformations"

However... She is lying.

The tools she was manipulating Ward with, to turn him on Garret were textbook.

"Are you sure that you are as important as Garret that you are a big boy enough to know my secrets? Oh yes you are a big boy, I'm so sorry for not realizing how big a boy you are, so much more bigger than Garret. My big big boy."

Flowers was also pretending to be an idiot so that Ward would think that he was the smartest man in the room, when he was clearly not.

"Monsters" is bait for a trap, even if it's true.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 02:02 PM   #5360
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
"Expect a large file transfer" -
My favorite part of the episode. We had to rewind that several times.
Old May 7 2014, 02:21 PM   #5361
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
"Blue" doesn't really make them seem like monsters?
Pretty much seemed to confirm that she's Inhuman to me.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 04:18 PM   #5362
Jolaris
Commander

I'm now expecting a twist that G.H. is Skyes father...

And May in those glasses while beating the crap out of people. I... uh... *faints*

To get to the other side of course!
Jolaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 05:46 PM   #5363
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I'm not taking that account of "monsters" at face value quite yet. There's something more to it. Kree would be the most obvious...which raises the disturbing possibility that the "guest" was one of her parents? Or perhaps someone sent to find them? Is there a Kree related story in the comics about one of their number hiding on earth? I mean what else would two Kree and an infant be doing here besides laying low?

I really liked that Cytek were intelligent enough to know that the best way to guard against their records being hacked is to use only hardcopy and a strong lock. Not foolproof, clearly, but still nice to see.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 06:07 PM   #5364
Christopher
Writer

Re: The fate of Fitz/Simmons: Consider Chekhov's Gun. This episode made a point of Triplett mentioning that the walkie-talkie quarter he gave Fitz had a homing beacon in it. We were later shown that Fitz had that quarter in his pocket aboard the Bus, along with the EMP joy buzzer. Assuming the EMP didn't fry the quarter -- which it wouldn't, because clearly the quarter is being set up to have a later payoff -- it follows that its homing beacon is how the team will find Fitz/Simmons in the ocean.

Kirby wrote: View Post
I loved that part.
Old May 7 2014, 08:21 PM   #5365
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

dansigal wrote: View Post
FPAlpha wrote: View Post
I think maybe Ward did with Fitzsimmons what Garrett did to him--Left them to their own devices to survive. Tough love.
It's comic book killing of a sort.. this way he can claim he executed Garrett's order while having the small chance of them surviving. Ward may be in Garrett's camp from the beginning but he's clearly not a cold killer like Garrett.
I didn't see this is Ward being particularly lenient. Yes, the method he chose to get rid of them gives them a chance of survival (and clearly they'll be fine), but i don't think that's why he chose it. They had locked themselves in that room/container thing. He couldn't get to them otherwise, so dropping them in the ocean like that, which in real life is an absolute death sentence, was his only way of executing Garrett's orders.
Agree. There was a reason we were shown the shot of Ward apparently reconsidering and once again drawing down on poor old "Buddy". BTW, how long was Ward in the woods? The first time Garrett comes back, young Ward said 6 months, but later we see Ward again and the character has morphed into present day Ward. That seemes like a lot more than 6 months altogether.

And this should once and for all convice poor Fitz that his apparentely first "cool friend", is a traitor and a murderer. I don't think we'll see him freak out again though.
Forbin wrote: View Post
Or could she just be using the term "Monsters" to indicate they were evil people committing mass murder?

That would be a typical real-world way to use the term. On the other hand, this IS a comic book, so...
My thoughts exactly as I watched.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Re: The fate of Fitz/Simmons: Consider Chekhov's Gun. This episode made a point of Triplett mentioning that the walkie-talkie quarter he gave Fitz had a homing beacon in it. We were later shown that Fitz had that quarter in his pocket aboard the Bus, along with the EMP joy buzzer. Assuming the EMP didn't fry the quarter -- which it wouldn't, because clearly the quarter is being set up to have a later payoff -- it follows that its homing beacon is how the team will find Fitz/Simmons in the ocean.
Yep, there was a reason we were shown that little bit. But it was the first thing I thought about when Fitz set off the EMP. I'm sure there will be some technobabbly reason it didn't get fried.

Kirby wrote: View Post
I loved that part.
My favorite was "...OMG, is that a Hypno-Beam?".
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 08:48 PM   #5366
kitik
Captain

gblews wrote: View Post
My favorite was "...OMG, is that a Hypno-Beam?".
I was really hoping they'd use the Hypno-Beam!

And yes, the large file transfer was great.

I can't believe there's only 1 episode left.
kitik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 08:51 PM   #5367
Sean_McCormick
Captain

gblews wrote: View Post
[...]
BTW, how long was Ward in the woods? The first time Garrett comes back, young Ward said 6 months, but later we see Ward again and the character has morphed into present day Ward. That seemes like a lot more than 6 months altogether.
[...]
When Garret got Ward out of prison, the caption said 15 years, when we first see FlashbackWard played by the regular actor, it says 10 years, so minimum 5 years.
Sean_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 09:45 PM   #5368
bbjeg
Admiral

Fine episode. It sounds like many SHIELD agents went into the private sector, and not just with Stark and that large file transfer scene put a huge smile on my face.

Fitz/Simmons fell over 50 feet. I didn't see them in the trailer for the finale and wouldn't be surprised if they were hospitalized in the next episode.

May, Triplett, and Coulson verses multiple Deathloks and someone with the berserker staff? I don't see how they are going to get out of this one.

Did anyone else find it really weird to see May flashing a big smile?
Yes.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 09:51 PM   #5369
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Did anyone else get a chuckle out of Ian Quinn's "Better, stronger, faster" comment?
Old May 7 2014, 10:55 PM   #5370
kitik
Captain

Watched it a second time. Some little things stood out:

-Garrett called Deathlok a monster. (Perhaps an intentional word since Raina used it later in the show.)

-I love how the bad guys have taken over the plane and are using everything in it.

-Garrett mentioned that he's been disappointed with Ward's results. Then we see Raina manipulating both Deathlok and Ward.

-A conversation between Ward and Garrett mentioned Raina's eyes. I think that might have been a hint.

-After being injected with the GH235, Ward asked what Garrett was feeling. He answered "the universe". That's not some sort of Captain Marvel/Kree/cosmic awareness is it?

-So when the container with Fitz/Simmons dropped out of the plane from a relatively low altitude, should it have skipped along the surface or contained some sort of forward momentum from the speed of the plane?

-Funny to see Glenn Morshower playing the general at the very end. Does this place AOS in the same universe as Transformers or X-Men?
kitik is offline   Reply With Quote