RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,221
Posts: 5,437,970
Members: 24,956
Currently online: 554
Newest member: GreenBlood54

TrekToday headlines

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Trek Screenwriter Washington D.C. Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Oct 23

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 19 2014, 11:50 PM   #4786
Aldo
Admiral
 
Aldo's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere Out there beneath the pale moonlight.
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Star Wolf wrote: View Post
The problem with all of the honorable mentions is that the MCU is too big. What is one more agent in a civil war?
This is probably me reading too much into it, but he seems like he's Coulson's go to guy who's not part of his team. Barton is the first one Coulson calls when Thor is causing trouble at the SHIELD facility. Granted it's because he wants eyes in the sky, but I like to think Barton was there because Coulson requested him.

I don't think it's an accident that Coulson was also the one to call Widow to tell her that Barton was compromised. Yes I realize it's mostly assumptions on my part, but there does seem to be some evidence that they are on friendly terms. Even if we didn't see it in the films.
__________________
Don't believe everything I say.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2014, 11:55 PM   #4787
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
bbjeg wrote: View Post
So is the shield team absolved from killing those two guards for Skye? Garrett and Ward shot them (a Ward shot the cameras).
Oh, good catch. Maybe that was another clue that they were really not nice people. It'll be fun to go back through the season and look for such clues.

From a new Q&A with Jed and Maurissa...


And then in "Seeds," there's a really nice moment where Skye is standing at the wall of valor, and we hear Coulson's voice off-camera saying that the world is full of evil, pain, lies and death -- and the camera pans and lands on Ward when he says "lies" and "evil."

Here is another one from "End of the Beginning", when Coulson is confronting Thomas Nash, the faux "Clairvoyant"...



...Re-watching the whole season on disk will be very interesting indeed.
__________________
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 03:41 AM   #4788
DEWLine
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

No doubt. Binge-watching the whole season is going to repay the time investment handsomely for a number of us.
__________________
Yours,

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 07:03 AM   #4789
Yminale
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Democratically Liberated America
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Christopher wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post
The problem is that Captain America: The First Avenger explicitly described Hydra as a wing of the Nazi Party. Schmidt may have eventually rejected Hitler, but that just means he wanted to be führer; nothing about this implies a rejection of Nazi or fascist ideology per se.
Nor does it preclude it. It's certainly possible for a single party to have ideological schisms within it -- even for one party to split into two rival parties, as with the evolution of the 18th-century Democratic-Republican Party into the modern Democratic Party and Republican Party.
I think you are over-thinking this. HYDRA agents are Nazis because they are associated with Nazis. You may state that is illogical or unfair but good grief MCU isn't meant to be deep or complex. Any group that strives for world domination will be compared to the Nazis because people associate Nazism with world domination. The fact that the Nazis had a bizarre and perverse ideology is ignored by the average person.
__________________
This Space for Rent
Yminale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 10:06 AM   #4790
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral
 
FPAlpha's Avatar
 
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Timelord Victorious wrote: View Post
I wonder if they saved the helicarrier sets from Avengers for the Show to use later. At least parts of it.
It's a huge set and i don't believe they store something big like this without plans to actually use it regularly in some capacity.

They might have known by that point how Cap 2 will change Shield so i believe they scuttled the set for good and it wouldn't fit into the TV show either because now that Shield is gone how would they operate something that big and costly?
__________________
"But that emergency was supposed to be the fall of an Avenger!" Phil Coulson
"Exactly!"
Nick Fury
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 12:27 PM   #4791
Avalon
Captain
 
Avalon's Avatar
 
Location: Avalon
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post

BTW, the thought just occurred to me that Triplett had a second knife on him when he gave one to Simmons since he pulled it on one of Hand's agents. Kind of devalues the trust he showed a bit...
No, it's the same knife he gave her.

It's a little hard to see, but Simmons tosses the knife to him as he takes down the other agent. (Note the little nod she makes to him just before he starts that move.)
__________________
Ancient Reed Rager
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 01:09 PM   #4792
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

They could just green-screen the characters onto pre-shot frames of the Helicarrier bridge.
__________________

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 01:31 PM   #4793
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Yminale wrote: View Post
I think you are over-thinking this. HYDRA agents are Nazis because they are associated with Nazis. You may state that is illogical or unfair but good grief MCU isn't meant to be deep or complex.
No, I think Sci's the one who's overthinking it by approaching it as if it were something real. HYDRA works however the writers want it to work. And CA:TFA made a point of separating HYDRA from Hitler and the Nazis as much as possible so that they could tell stories about HYDRA without having to wade into the issues of Nazi ideology, which would make things too serious and troubling for the kind of adventure stories they wanted to tell -- and so that they wouldn't have to try to market children's toys adorned with Nazi insignias. This was discussed widely in the media even before the first Cap film came out -- it's old news that Marvel Studios has been consciously distancing its portrayal of HYDRA from the Nazi Party.

Which is only further reinforced given that in CA:TWS and AoS this past month, the references to HYDRA have been almost completely devoid of any references to the Nazis. It's clear that the producers have no interest in addressing that.



Avalon wrote: View Post
No, it's the same knife he gave her.

It's a little hard to see, but Simmons tosses the knife to him as he takes down the other agent. (Note the little nod she makes to him just before he starts that move.)
Yes, exactly. Simmons throwing the knife back to Triplett was an important story/character beat, because it shows that she trusts him. It's the payoff for the earlier scene with the knife both on an action level and a character level.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 01:39 PM   #4794
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

OK, I missed that. Good catch everyone.

I've been obviously disagreeing with Sci, so it seems odd to defend him, but I will say that Marvel seems to want to eat their cake and still have it with HYDRA and Nazis. They want to distance themselves from Nazis to a significant degree with the organization, but they like making "cute" Nazi references like Operation Paperclip and HYDRA fleeing to Latin America to still evoke the feelings of Nazi Germany in the organization. That being said, because of their deliberate distancing, I do agree it isn't fair to criticize the plot by suggesting people wouldn't join an organization with an ideology of which HYDRA has not been shown to have.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 01:45 PM   #4795
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral
 
Star Wolf's Avatar
 
Location: ciudad de Los Angeles
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
OK, I missed that. Good catch everyone.

I've been obviously disagreeing with Sci, so it seems odd to defend him, but I will say that Marvel seems to want to eat their cake and still have it with HYDRA and Nazis. They want to distance themselves from Nazis to a significant degree with the organization, but they like making "cute" Nazi references like Operation Paperclip and HYDRA fleeing to Latin America to still evoke the feelings of Nazi Germany in the organization. That being said, because of their deliberate distancing, I do agree it isn't fair to criticize the plot by suggesting people wouldn't join an organization with an ideology of which HYDRA has not been shown to have.
It is still a secret organization and when characters went to their Smithsonian they saw the only super hero fighting the super Nazi's. Jump to the present when everyone thinks Hydra was destroyed 70 years before here is a gunman throwing the double Nazi salute what is a Raina supposed to think?
__________________
I'm not crazy! All I Really Need to Know I learned by Watching The Wire
Star Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 02:17 PM   #4796
bigboojeg
Vice Admiral
 
bigboojeg's Avatar
 
Location: bbjeg
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Star Wolf wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
OK, I missed that. Good catch everyone.

I've been obviously disagreeing with Sci, so it seems odd to defend him, but I will say that Marvel seems to want to eat their cake and still have it with HYDRA and Nazis. They want to distance themselves from Nazis to a significant degree with the organization, but they like making "cute" Nazi references like Operation Paperclip and HYDRA fleeing to Latin America to still evoke the feelings of Nazi Germany in the organization. That being said, because of their deliberate distancing, I do agree it isn't fair to criticize the plot by suggesting people wouldn't join an organization with an ideology of which HYDRA has not been shown to have.
It is still a secret organization and when characters went to their Smithsonian they saw the only super hero fighting the super Nazi's. Jump to the present when everyone thinks Hydra was destroyed 70 years before here is a gunman throwing the double Nazi salute what is a Raina supposed to think?


A lion isn't a house cat because they're related.
bigboojeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 02:21 PM   #4797
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral
 
Star Wolf's Avatar
 
Location: ciudad de Los Angeles
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

bbjeg wrote: View Post
Star Wolf wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
OK, I missed that. Good catch everyone.

I've been obviously disagreeing with Sci, so it seems odd to defend him, but I will say that Marvel seems to want to eat their cake and still have it with HYDRA and Nazis. They want to distance themselves from Nazis to a significant degree with the organization, but they like making "cute" Nazi references like Operation Paperclip and HYDRA fleeing to Latin America to still evoke the feelings of Nazi Germany in the organization. That being said, because of their deliberate distancing, I do agree it isn't fair to criticize the plot by suggesting people wouldn't join an organization with an ideology of which HYDRA has not been shown to have.
It is still a secret organization and when characters went to their Smithsonian they saw the only super hero fighting the super Nazi's. Jump to the present when everyone thinks Hydra was destroyed 70 years before here is a gunman throwing the double Nazi salute what is a Raina supposed to think?


A lion isn't a house cat because they're related.
Lebensunwertes Leben
__________________
I'm not crazy! All I Really Need to Know I learned by Watching The Wire
Star Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 03:21 PM   #4798
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

I think it's a fair assumption that as far as the general public are concerned, Hydra were essentially Nazis with fancier weapons. At the very least I doubt the propaganda of the day bothered to make the distinction.

Still, yes, I agree that they are indeed not Nazis...they're worse. I think Zola said it best: "The sanity of the plan is of no consequence...because he can do it!"
An enemy bent on total world domination is much worse in my books if they actually have the capability to pull it off. By contrast the real world Nazi party would never have been able to achieve their stated goals over the long term.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 04:26 PM   #4799
DEWLine
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Hence the "Out of the shadows..." order. Once the mass killings by Helicarrier artillery began, the HYDRA "cat" was going to be out of the bag anyway, right?
__________________
Yours,

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 06:09 PM   #4800
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

DEWLine wrote: View Post
Hence the "Out of the shadows..." order. Once the mass killings by Helicarrier artillery began, the HYDRA "cat" was going to be out of the bag anyway, right?
Yes, especially considering that
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
marvel, marvel cinematic universe, shield, the avengers

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.