Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I don't think he hired Fury, but I'd have to watch the movie to make sure. I seem to recall Fury asking him to take the job he has now, not vice versa.

Yeah, there was the pistol scene where he trained him how to shoot, but Garrett also mentioned Ward's shooting talent in the prison-break scene. Anyway, I think the scene was deliberately ambiguous. If Ward had the rifle, it wouldn't have been ambiguous. Likewise, if they had shown Garrett with the gun, it would have been the same.

While I tend to think that's the better explanation, I also think it was a bit ambiguous. After all, he could have waited them out if he couldn't kill them then.

2. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Clearly there's some very intentional ambiguity in both the Buddy & Fitz-Simmons scenes and how they relate to each other. Did he *really* shoot the dog? Did he *really* intend to kill them? Tune in next week and find out! ;)

3. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Keep in mind that Garrett lost a bunch of other people under him that were killed by the Clairvoyant.

Triplett was just one of many "good guys" that Garrett had working under him. Garrett played the role of a good Shield agent, generally working with all the people that he was assigned to work with. Didn't he even mention that he and Hand were part of the same team at one time?

4. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ward didn't know about the beacon, but he also didn't know that Coulson's team didn't know that Fitz/simmons didn't contact Coulson about spying>

And for others -- I just rewatched the scene where Ward uses a scope gun to shoot at a deer. Ward puts the gun down & walks away to get Buddy. Garrett says he'll be at the truck, but I think he hung around to watch Buddy through the scope.

Also, Ward tells Garrett that putting down Buddy is not a weakness, but in reality he lets Buddy live. Flashforward, he says the same thing about Fitz/Simmons. That makes me believe he'd do the same thing in letting them go.

With Buddy, he felt like he fooled Garrett into thinking Ward was obedient. In this case, he'd be even more confident that Garrett wouldn't find out(being capacitated) . He also says he cares about them. The parallels are too clear to me.

p.s. just rewatched a scene where Ward says "I've done everything you asked" and Garrett says "Not everything". I think that confirms it was Garrett watching on the scope. (But not shooting, as that gun is loud)

p.p.s. very good pick to play Young Ward...looks like him, and played right.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  5. hadd001

hadd001 Lieutenant Red Shirt

They have just posted an announcement that Agents of Shield is renewed for a second season, and a spinoff featuring Agent Carter and set in the aftermath of Captain America's disappearance during WWII.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I think Agent Carter constitutes a spinoff of Captain America: The First Avenger (and a sequel to the Agent Carter short) rather than a spinoff of AoS. It's more a companion show to AoS.

It's interesting how Marvel has used its DVD/Blu-Ray short films as pilots for TV series, after a fashion. One could see the two Coulson shorts and Item 47 as loose pilots for AoS, and Agent Carter was even more of a pilot for the series of the same name. (Which leaves All Hail the King as the only One-Shot that hasn't inspired a TV series. Mandarin Orange is the New Black, anyone?)

7. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I was hoping when they mentioned Blackout that maybe Shroud would show up, as it was established in the books that they both tap into the same dimension for their powers.

I'd also like to see Moon Knight, as Coulson's team could really use his kind of assistance.

Or, the Punisher. He'd be a good "guest star" especially since they can hire almost anybody to play him. They could have had Brett Dalton play Punisher, if he wasn't already Ward.

8. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

I would LOVE a short run series about Trevor Slattery and his efforts to impersonate powerful and unlikely people in his attempt to get a regular paycheck. I thought he was a kinda cool character.
    of course, Sir Ben would need to play him and he'd never commit to a tv show.

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I still think the 10 Rings will finally be shown and dealt with in Iron Man 4, leaving the Hail to the King short as a set up for it. Technically it's still there to set up something else, just not TV.

Well unless, 10R's become another of Hydra's choas creating groups in AoS, revealing them to have behind most of the Middle Eastern problems in the recent decades.

10. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Did they ever say that Garrett trained Trip? In their first appearance, Garrett introduces Trip as the new guy on his team who replaced Ward.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, good catch.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Trip is a legacy, who had a wonderful family supporting him emotionally, who then went to university, probably did a tour as force recon, and then signed up with S.H.I.E.L.D.. The total package.

Ward almost killed his family, escaped jail, left in the woods for 2 years, and then was probably supplied with a false resume to be inserted in the middle of S.H.I.E.L.D. while being taught advanced combat and weapons skills... But really there's still a 50/50 that he's illiterate and an 80 percent chance that he did not finish High School.

If this is the model for Hydra Agents inside S.H.I.E.L.D. then it's pretty far out that S.H.I.E.L.D. never noticed that half their operatives are misspelling every third word of their field reports, in crayon.

Hydra doesn't look for rotten apples in the barrel, they bring their own rotten apples and top up the barrel.

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

If they're going to use Punisher, then there's only one actor I'd want to see in the role. Hell, I'd like to see him get his own cable series! Imagine a fugitive type format like the old Bill Bixby 'Hulk' series crossed with 'The Walking Dead' or 'Game of Thrones' level of graphic violence.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  14. Guy Gardener

The worst thing they could do is rip off the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and have a framing sequence at the beginning of every episode where Old Peggy starts telling tedious stories to people who don't want to listen to her.

15. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Just rewatched that one a few days ago and I've been keeping my eyes open for details like that.

Having to cover five years in a few minutes' worth of flashbacks, they skipped the detail that Garret was also giving Ward essay assignments. He wrote a sequel to Walden....

16. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Bloody hell, no Punisher, please. :rommie:

Indeed, though I'm still optimistic about it.

Well said.

17. Guy Gardener

Didn't finish highschool = Doesn't know that Hydra are Nazis.

18. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Didn't Coulson remind Ward that he was fluent in six languages in an early episode?

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Yup. In 0-8-4...
    (quotes approximate. Is that a contradiction?)

Coulson-- "Ward, you're fluent in six languages. Simmons, you have degrees in fields I can't even pronounce. Fitz, you ARE a rocket scientist. Work it out." *walks away*

Skye-- "I'm good at things too!"

20. Guy Gardener

You don't have to be smart to be ignorant in 6 languages.