Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 31 2014, 04:32 AM   #3976
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Deathlok looking like Deathlok.
Old March 31 2014, 01:23 PM   #3977
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Nice, but too bad it's just an x-ray. That's just how Luthor was drawn in the 70s.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 01:39 PM   #3978
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

Hopefully he get caught in an explosion and half of his face gets blown off as well as getting a little more burnt...

Out of context, that's sick, but you see where I'm going.
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 02:10 PM   #3979
Christopher
Writer

I don't feel that characters in an adaptation need to look like their comics originals. I don't hear anyone clamoring to put Hawkeye in a weird purple butterfly mask or Electro in that stupid yellow star thingy. I don't find the Deathlok design in the comics all that appealing, and in retrospect it feels too similar to the Borg. I'm fine letting J. August Richards just keep looking like J. August Richards.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 02:22 PM   #3980
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I don't feel that characters in an adaptation need to look like their comics originals. I don't hear anyone clamoring to put Hawkeye in a weird purple butterfly mask or Electro in that stupid yellow star thingy. I don't find the Deathlok design in the comics all that appealing, and in retrospect it feels too similar to the Borg. I'm fine letting J. August Richards just keep looking like J. August Richards.
To be fair, Hawkeye and Electro movie versions at least follow their ultimate look. Deathlok only has his iconic look. Of course, with modernization styles change but Deathlok always had that definitive look.

=/=
Old March 31 2014, 03:07 PM   #3981
Christopher
Writer

Even so, adaptations are not meant to be exact copies, they're opportunities to reinvent and reimagine. There's nothing wrong with a fresh approach.

Old March 31 2014, 04:45 PM   #3982
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

Even so, adaptations are not meant to be exact copies, they're opportunities to reinvent and reimagine. There's nothing wrong with a fresh approach.
Don't get me started on When fresh approaches go wrong.

Old March 31 2014, 04:51 PM   #3983
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Point taken, they don't have too.

That said, Deathlok was long prior to the Borg, and probably inspired that look.

More importantly, Deathlok came out during the 6 Million Dollar Man run, and was inspired by that show and the trendiness of cyborgs. Marvel took a gamble with Deathlok and put out a very dark book with an "anti-Steve Austin."

Steve Austin was a bright look at the idea of cyborgs. Maimed in a crash, he was saved, rebuilt, better stronger faster etc. It was a medical marvel and every kid watching could dream about being him and having those powers.

Deathlok was a horror story. Luthor was dead, but not allowed to die. Trapped in a hideous form, he wanted to die, but his 'Puter companion in his head wouldn't let him. The world was a horrifying dystopia, and a big part of Luthor's horror was that he couldn't escape it even by dying.

The series was groundbreaking for its time and for Marvel it was dramatic departure from what it was publishing as "hero" comics of the time. I found it far more serious than eve titles like Dracula, Werewolf by Night, and Man-Thing, which themselves stepped out of the super hero genre while staying within the Marvel universe.

The image of Deathlok in the SHIELD tv series is a tribute to that ground-breaking comics title. Nothing wrong with wishing they would go the full route, however I'm glad that horror of Mike Peterson's situation seems to showing in the show's plot.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 04:59 PM   #3984
Christopher
Writer

bbjeg wrote: View Post
Don't get me started on When fresh approaches go wrong.
Sturgeon's Law, man. Ninety percent of everything is garbage, and that includes both fresh approaches and faithful approaches. The Affleck Daredevil was quite faithful to the source, and so was the Green Lantern movie. But the corollary is that the other ten percent of everything, in any category, is going to be good. The Singer X-Men films are a huge departure from the source and they're well-loved. The Bill Bixby Incredible Hulk was as far from its source as Kenneth Johnson could get away with making it, but it was so well-done that Hulk fans consider it a classic to this day. Whatever approach you take, it can be good or bad depending on how well you do it. Category does not determine quality.

Old March 31 2014, 07:13 PM   #3985
Reverend
Rear Admiral

bbjeg wrote: View Post
To be fair, Hawkeye and Electro movie versions at least follow their ultimate look. Deathlok only has his iconic look. Of course, with modernization styles change but Deathlok always had that definitive look.

=/=
Well, were the "ultimate" looks not themselves an adaptation/re-invention of an already existing idea? It's the same principle, the medium in which it takes place is hardly relevant.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 07:19 PM   #3986
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

There's nothing wrong with a fresh approach.
That depends entirely on the approach in question.
Old March 31 2014, 07:33 PM   #3987
Reverend
Rear Admiral

There's nothing inherently wrong with a fresh approach.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 07:56 PM   #3988
Enterprise1701
Fleet Captain

If Skye was part Kree or something (her 0-8-4 status is still officially unexplained), then do y'all suppose that A. her Kree genetics aren't sufficient to give her superhuman abilities and are therefore pointless B. she does in fact have superhuman abilities and can be the team's muscle or C. something else? It occurred to me that if Skye does indeed have superhuman abilities, then what would be the point of "Agents" of S.H.I.E.L.D.? Cause this isn't Avengers.
Enterprise1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2014, 08:51 PM   #3989
Christopher
Writer

Which is exactly the point. It's about the individual case, not the category. If an approach fails, it's not because it wasn't faithful, it's because it wasn't good.

Old March 31 2014, 08:58 PM   #3990
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Ms. Marvel.

Although that was mostly about Mar-Vell's negabands and not his "original" biology.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote