Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 1 2013, 04:48 PM   #376
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

There is also a Cecilia Reyes associated with the X-Men.
Old October 1 2013, 06:04 PM   #377
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
I really doubt Fury will be making a cameo. SLJ is too big for tv right now. If they could have done it, they would have had Fury in the pilot not in the middle of the season.
But putting him in the second episode is smarter. They already knew everyone would tune in for the pilot. What better way to keep the numbers from falling with the second episode than to have a bit of stunt casting?
Eh, stunt casting usually advertises the person appearing. You aren't going to get people to tune in to watch Samuel L. Jackson without telling them Samuel L. Jackson is in the show.

That being said, he seems like the kind of guy who would enjoy a minor cameo just for fun like that, so anything's possible.
Yeah.. there may be actors out there who aren't in it solely for the money and the fame.

Jackson surely has enough money to live a very comfortable life until the end of his days so money can't or shouldn't be an issue.

Some just really like the character.. would at least explain why Hugh Jackman agreed to do XMen Origins: Wolverine
Old October 1 2013, 07:13 PM   #378
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

His parents held hostage in a well, explains why he stayed to the end though.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 07:27 PM   #379
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Samuel L. Jackson doesn't think he's too big for anything. He accepts roles if they are fun. That's the great thing about it. Which is why a Fury cameo is not improbable.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 07:41 PM   #380
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Coming soon: "Snakes on a Helicarrier."
Old October 1 2013, 07:47 PM   #381
kirk55555
Commodore

That would seriously be an awesome movie. Except they could be fighting the Serpent Society instead of just normal snakes. All they need is Whedon to write it and they have the baisis for an awesome Nick Fury/SHIELD movie
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 11:09 PM   #382
Duncan MacLeod
Fleet Captain

I had a thought earlier today.

"What if Coulson has always been an LMD?"

Think about it. In Iron Man he survived Stane's Iron Monger rampage, the overloading of the main arc reactor, and the explosion when Stane hit it. Without so much as a scratch. From ground zero!

Think about how he handled the two crooks in A Funny Thing Happened on the way to Thor's Hammer.

Think about how he managed to survive a good 5 minutes after being stabbed through the heart in The Avengers, maneuvered Loki into a position were he could shoot him, and then shot him with unerring accuracy ... with a hipshot ... using a bazooka!

Maybe he's always been an LMD and every time he gets whacked they just upload his program into a new chassis?
Duncan MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 11:35 PM   #383
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Duncan MacLeod wrote: View Post

Think about it. In Iron Man he survived Stane's Iron Monger rampage, the overloading of the main arc reactor, and the explosion when Stane hit it. Without so much as a scratch. From ground zero!

Think about how he handled the two crooks in A Funny Thing Happened on the way to Thor's Hammer.

Think about how he managed to survive a good 5 minutes after being stabbed through the heart in The Avengers, maneuvered Loki into a position were he could shoot him, and then shot him with unerring accuracy ... with a hipshot ... using a bazooka!

Maybe he's always been an LMD and every time he gets whacked they just upload his program into a new chassis?
A blank LMD programmed to be the perfect SHIELD agent, or a real SHIELD agent from back in the day that was so good SHIELD didn't want to lose him even after he was dead?

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 11:37 PM   #384
Christopher
Writer

Except that something can only be a decoy if it's distracting from/impersonating something else, and can only be a "life model" if there's someone alive for it to be modeled on. So if there's no real Coulson, then what you're describing isn't an LMD, just... an android.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 11:39 PM   #385
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Except that something can only be a decoy if it's distracting from/impersonating something else, and can only be a "life model" if there's someone alive for it to be modeled on. So if there's no real Coulson, then what you're describing isn't an LMD, just... an android.
Chris: Stick. Out of. Butt.

Life Model Decoy is just what they were called in the comics, regardless of purposs.

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2013, 11:53 PM   #386
Duncan MacLeod
Fleet Captain

Admiral2 wrote: View Post

A blank LMD programmed to be the perfect SHIELD agent, or a real SHIELD agent from back in the day that was so good SHIELD didn't want to lose him even after he was dead?
Could be either one. Maybe there was a living Coulson from back in the 60s whose memories and personality were used in the LMD. Over the years the LMDs have gotten more and more sophisticated. Sort of like Data, but not quite.

And Christopher, yes, technically that would be an android, but SHIELD uses the term Life Model Decoy or LMD. Probably because that's all that the originals were.
Duncan MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 12:03 AM   #387
sojourner
Admiral

Well, technically an android that looks completely human would still be a Life Model Decoy in the semantics of the label. It's just not an Existing Person Duplicate Life Model Decoy.
Old October 2 2013, 12:46 AM   #388
Procutus
Admiral

Hard to believe it's been a week already. Ready for another trip into the Marvel Universe.

Old October 2 2013, 12:50 AM   #389
Christopher
Writer

sojourner wrote: View Post
Well, technically an android that looks completely human would still be a Life Model Decoy in the semantics of the label. It's just not an Existing Person Duplicate Life Model Decoy.
It would be a Life Model, but I don't agree that it would be a Decoy in the intended sense. A decoy is a lure, something that draws attention by impersonating something else. Lee and Kirby called them that because they were used by Nick Fury to draw enemy fire away from him -- and, no doubt, used by Lee and Kirby to fake out the audience into thinking Fury had been killed. So the intent behind the name is that it's a diversion from the live person that it's a model of, as a way of keeping that person safe or allowing them to operate in secret.

Anyway, at this point I'm just getting sick of hearing the term "LMD," so I really, really hope Coulson isn't one. I mean, as I may have said already, it would be boring if the big, deep, dark secret were exactly the thing that everyone guessed from the word go. (Cf. "John Harrison.") It's just so obvious a thing to suspect that I have to feel they're really planning something else.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 12:59 AM   #390
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Trekker, checking in!