Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 20 2014, 09:55 AM   #3796
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

The special actually did a good job of making the movies seem appealing. Everybody involved seemed to have grown up with Marvel and have respect for the characters, Captain America in particular. It's too bad the current state of Marvel Comics doesn't live up to that hype.

bbjeg wrote: View Post
Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Coulson rules.
^This.
Yes. He also rocks.

theenglish wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
^It really should be though, don't you think?

May is at least as tough as Ward (probably more) and if a male character like, say Loki had done to May what was done to Ward then there'd be no hesitation in calling it what it is.
But that's the double standard, not reality. May is as at least as tough as Ward and has had the same job for at least as long, so if she were portrayed consistently it wouldn't be such a big deal to her either. Ever read Friday? But, of course, politically, it couldn't be portrayed that way on TV.
Every woman who goes into military situations has to accept this as a possibility if she is captured. Playing the situation off as so light just because it is a male character showed a lack of taste, I thought.
We're not talking about being in a war zone, getting captured, beaten, and gang raped. We're talking about people who are like James Bond, who use sex to manipulate and infiltrate. She didn't do anything to him that he hasn't done to others before-- the only difference being the mind control, which would be the part he'd have difficulty dealing with.
Old March 20 2014, 10:05 AM   #3797
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Yeah?

I think the baby is what he'll have the most difficult time dealing with.

Then when he finally gets custody after a season long war with the woman, S.H.I.E.L.D. starts talking about shooting Ward Junior into the sun... Um, in Thor One, if they had managed to get Mjolnir into a rocket and fired it at the sun, isn't there a chance that the Hammer would have knocked the sun loose from the rest of the solar system?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; March 20 2014 at 10:20 AM.
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 12:33 PM   #3798
Mr Light
Admiral

I watched the special. I thought it was hilarious that they spent all of 15 seconds talking about "The Incredible Hulk" movie

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 12:53 PM   #3799
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I watched the special. I thought it was hilarious that they spent all of 15 seconds talking about "The Incredible Hulk" movie
From what they did show, I got the impression it was more that they wanted to avoid showing Edward Norton on screen, or mentioning him at all in the interviews.

"The Incredible Hulk" (2008) had its faults, but I enjoyed it and it still meshes well as far as plot points, with the other MCU movies.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 01:03 PM   #3800
Forbin
Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Yeah?

Then when he finally gets custody after a season long war with the woman, S.H.I.E.L.D. starts talking about shooting Ward Junior into the sun... Um, in Thor One, if they had managed to get Mjolnir into a rocket and fired it at the sun, isn't there a chance that the Hammer would have knocked the sun loose from the rest of the solar system?
Now there's a question for Neil Tyson - could you knock the sun out of the solar system, or would the solar system follow the sun?

Actually, I guess if you flick the sun away, the planets will just go flying off in whatever direction they're heading when the sun's gravity goes away.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 01:15 PM   #3801
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

Every woman who goes into military situations has to accept this as a possibility if she is captured. Playing the situation off as so light just because it is a male character showed a lack of taste, I thought.
We're not talking about being in a war zone, getting captured, beaten, and gang raped. We're talking about people who are like James Bond, who use sex to manipulate and infiltrate. She didn't do anything to him that he hasn't done to others before-- the only difference being the mind control, which would be the part he'd have difficulty dealing with.
But I'm sure if the roles were reversed and it was a male Asgardian who mind controlled a female James Bond like character making her have sex with him, the episode would have a different tone, especially if her male teammate hits her for admitting she settling for him after everything she went through.

I also like to add, I feel really sorry for Ward's penis. Asgardians are dense enough to take a hit from the Hulk. Unless Lorelei gave Ward a spell to make him stone hard, he shouldn't have much left of his manhood.
bountifulboxesjeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 02:21 PM   #3802
Christopher
Writer

Forbin wrote: View Post
Now there's a question for Neil Tyson - could you knock the sun out of the solar system, or would the solar system follow the sun?

Actually, I guess if you flick the sun away, the planets will just go flying off in whatever direction they're heading when the sun's gravity goes away.
Depends on how hard you "flick." Keep in mind that the Sun is already moving through space at nearly half a million miles per hour as it orbits the center of the galaxy, and it has no trouble holding the planets in orbit around it as it does so. Some physicists and writers have proposed methods for using controlled flares or Shkadov thrusters to turn stars into giant rocket engines that pull their planetary systems (or Ringworlds) with them.

And of course, the Sun isn't a soccer ball, it's a big dense cloud of hydrogen gas. Any force that could accelerate it to enough speed that it wouldn't have time to pull the planets with it would probably blow the Sun apart in the process.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 06:28 PM   #3803
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

But I'm sure if the roles were reversed and it was a male Asgardian who mind controlled a female James Bond like character making her have sex with him, the episode would have a different tone, especially if her male teammate hits her for admitting she settling for him after everything she went through.

I also like to add, I feel really sorry for Ward's penis. Asgardians are dense enough to take a hit from the Hulk. Unless Lorelei gave Ward a spell to make him stone hard, he shouldn't have much left of his manhood.
Loki took over a couple people, including Banner.

Old March 20 2014, 06:30 PM   #3804
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
Yeah?

According to this, we should be more worried about Thor dropping his hammer.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 06:43 PM   #3805
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

Loki took over a couple people, including Banner.
But Loki didn't rape anyone or Banner, thankfully.
Old March 20 2014, 06:52 PM   #3806
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The question is, is mindrape/possession more traumatizing than sexrape?

Then of course, after you've been mindraped, would you be more worried about all the people you were forced to murder, or all the people you were forced to frakk?

Would you rather wake up clueless covered in someone's blood, or covered in their sperm?

Old March 20 2014, 07:59 PM   #3807
Forbin
Admiral

The question is, is mindrape/possession more traumatizing than sexrape?

Then of course, after you've been mindraped, would you be more worried about all the people you were forced to murder, or all the people you were forced to frakk?

Would you rather wake up clueless covered in someone's blood, or covered in their sperm?
Depends. Do you want to spend the rest of your life in jail, or just with a bad taste in your mouth.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 08:18 PM   #3808
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

There was funny talk a while back about Julia Louie-Drefus guesting on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

But what if Clark was to Guest on Veep, as some one exactly like Coulson who doesn't say he isn't from S.H.I.E.L.D. and doesn't say that he isn't Coulson.
The only thing I can't figure out is, which would be the most awsome.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 09:12 PM   #3809
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Patton Oswald to guest as Agent Eric Koenig.
Old March 20 2014, 09:36 PM   #3810
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

It's nice that they're putting more and more comic book characters in the show.