RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,914
Posts: 5,478,117
Members: 25,053
Currently online: 517
Newest member: johnclever25

TrekToday headlines

New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 8 2014, 06:26 PM   #3436
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain
 
Mister Fandango's Avatar
 
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

What I'm actually confused about is why the Clairvoyant couldn't have learned any of this. Fury, the doctor, and the two guards likely all knew what was going on at the very least, and there had to have been many others in the know. I could understand why getting into Fury's head would be hard (I'm sure he has some Wolverine-type mental walls in place), but the others?
__________________
WildStar
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 06:28 PM   #3437
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Because I don't think he actually has any psychic powers. It reinforces my belief that it's someone like MODOK and he's essentially data-mining in a Total Information Awareness type way. This is one event with literally no available information. It's a total blackhole.

The other alternative is just that there's a mole in SHIELD. Either way, the mole clearly doesn't have the full information. If, two weeks from now, we find out that the Clairvoyant knows everything that Coulson knows, it'll obviously be different.

However, even under my theory, he should at least have known of that location. I certainly think anything Fitz can do, the Clairvoyant can do better. The only counter to that Fitz found the location through abstract, creative thinking. The Clairvoyant could have seen the "encrypted" location of Guest House and not thought it represented a picture of an actual location.

That fits well with wikipedia's description of MODOK's powers and abilities

George Tarleton is subjected to a mutagenic process that grants him superhuman intelligence, including a computer-like memory, the ability to scour and retain large databanks of information very quickly and solve abstract mathematical problems nearly instantaneously. He also has the ability to calculate the mathematical probability of any given event occurring; an ability so strong that it borders on precognition. However, his creativity remains at average human level.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 06:32 PM   #3438
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain
 
Mister Fandango's Avatar
 
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

The problem is that there was a data trail, and I'm sure there are files hidden away somewhere with more detailed information. I mean, it only took the wonder twins a few seconds to "hack" into SHIELD's systems and find the information they were after, and all the drugs and whatnot were in the file Coulson had. So someone like MODOK should have been able to pick up all that same data in no time. Considering the resources he has at his disposal, including all the augmented super-spies, and the fact that the base only had two dudes defending it... yeah. I just don't see how that works, either.

As for psychic powers not existing, we know that's not true. Just because they can't mention the X-Men doesn't mean they don't exist. It is odd how adamant Coulson is on the subject, though.

I have to admit, I have a hard time taking MODOK seriously. Not just because of the way he looks, but because of Marvel themselves.
__________________
WildStar
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 06:38 PM   #3439
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

I didn't say psychic powers didn't exist, I said the Clairvoyant doesn't have psychic powers. I think this for pretty much the reason you said - he would know more information if he did.

I was editing my post rapidly there so I'm not sure you caught everything. My theory was that he got to the picture of the mountain but couldn't solve the puzzle. And I don't think there's a data trail beyond what we've seen (certainly, not one online or accessible to a SHIELD mole depending on the theory). If you want to believe otherwise, that's fine, but I'm trying to offer an explanation, not say "it makes no sense."
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 06:56 PM   #3440
bbjeg
Vice Admiral
 
bbjeg's Avatar
 
Location: bbjeg
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
bbjeg wrote: View Post
Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
What organization owned the site? U.S. Military, Area 51 style.
Do you know who S.W.O.R.D. is?
Yes, and people have declared that off-limits when I first mentioned it way earlier in the thread because it probably belongs to the X-Men franchise due to its creative origins.

And if it was SWORD, why were they housing it on Earth rather than on a space station, moonbase, or something along those lines?
They could have been S.W.O.R.D. year one. S.H.I.E.L.D. (in Captain America: TWS) looks like they just acquired Stark tech. Space fortresses may be far ahead.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 08:06 PM   #3441
Shawnster
Fleet Captain
 
Shawnster's Avatar
 
Location: Clinton, OH
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
It seemed clear to me that this was some illegal facility and that Fury had gone to the dark side to save Coulson. What I'm curious about is why the facility was all but abandoned and rigged to self destruct.
My impression is that the facility was only staffed when in use. In times when there is no patient like Coulson, they shut down and leave just the security detail. TAHITI looked to be automated and did not need constant monitoring or support. Perhaps there was a staff that would show up periodically, but not daily.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 11:06 PM   #3442
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

I doubt that SWORD would belong to FOX simply because it was created long after Marvel sold the X-Rights and it is not a mutant-specific organization.
__________________
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2014, 11:24 PM   #3443
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
I doubt that SWORD would belong to FOX simply because it was created long after Marvel sold the X-Rights and it is not a mutant-specific organization.
That's an interesting point. I hadn't thought of that. I hope you're right. As some of us have said, it'd be a pity if Whedon couldn't use an organization he created.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 01:22 AM   #3444
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain
 
Sto-Vo-Kory's Avatar
 
Location: Battle Creek, MI
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

I'm not entirely sold on the idea that what we saw in that chamber was an alien. The show is hinting that Skye may be an extraterrestrial already so having the body fluids of another alien save her may make the narrative a little too alien heavy. Perhaps (if an alien) the house guest is tied to Skye's recently revealed past but that may be too strong a coincidence.

The big assumption floating around is that it's Mar-Vell but I thought we could toss around different and wilder theories.

Here's mine:

Lemurian Like an Atlantean, but different enough to side-step rights issues with the Namor studio. Also if the rights revert to Marvel in the near future, they can always retcon him into a full-fledged Atlantean.

Deviant/Eternal Explains the healing power of their body fluids and they are a pretty undesired property within the Marvel universe for potential studio productions. "G" could stand for Ghaur.

Gamma-Irradiated Explains the "g" in "g.h." and the Hulk was said to have a healing factor during Peter David's run on the title. Other gamma-blasted individuals could have similar abilities, possibly in their blood, though Coulson's and Skye's blood transfusions could lead to a She-Hulk type situation.

If they do go the alien route, the house guest could be one of Yondu's people (Alpha Centauri?) for a possible tie in to the GotG movie next season (fingers crossed). Since Michael Rooker is playing Yondu in the film, a guest role on the show next season wouldn't be too far outside the realm of possibility. Yondu could come to Earth looking for his friend and then seek payback for what happened to him.

****

Side note: I think M.O.D.O.K. (or he-who-will-become-MODOK) would be perfect for the Clairvoyant. He would definitely fit in this acronym-filled season.

****

When I first saw that the magical elixir was coming from someone/thing, my first thought was that the original Human Torch was going to be in the chamber. Years ago, during John Byrne's Namor series, a character named Spitfire got a blood transfusion from the original Torch, Jim Hammond (apparently the android had blood to donate -- just go with it) and it healed and rejuvenated her. For a brief moment I thought AoS might go there with this insane premise (my mind flashed back to that glorious moment in the Captain America movie when you could see the original Torch on display) but they didn't. A missed opportunity.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 02:47 AM   #3445
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Old Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Bedford Falls
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

^Spitfire actually originated in the Roy Thomas-written Invaders series of the 1970s...and the original Torch was supposed to be a true android, with synthetic blood, organs, etc., rather than a human-looking robot.

I wouldn't be surprised if they touched upon Horton's synthetic man from the Cap movie at some point in SHIELD, though they'd probably have to avoid the name, and possibly the powers. Here's a kooky idea for Skye's true nature...what if she's Jim Hammond's daughter...?
__________________
The Old Mixer, waiting for the holiday name change thingie.
The Old Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 02:55 AM   #3446
bbjeg
Vice Admiral
 
bbjeg's Avatar
 
Location: bbjeg
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

FYI, a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent is seen in the extended clip of Captain America: TWS. Spoiler.

Also, after rewatching the last episode, I got an Avengers vibe when the team set out after a comrade fell (the anger May expressed made me think of Nick Fury's "They needed the push")

Last edited by bbjeg; March 9 2014 at 03:11 AM.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 03:00 AM   #3447
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Well I'm not going to be able to click on that link. I'll try to remember a month from now so I can take a look. Why can't Captain America just come out already. It's almost impossible to avoid spoilers these days.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 03:03 AM   #3448
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Oh, yeah. Him. Not really a spoiler for me. They showed on-set pics of him ages ago.
__________________
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 03:32 AM   #3449
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Old Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Bedford Falls
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Are we talking about...

__________________
The Old Mixer, waiting for the holiday name change thingie.
The Old Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2014, 03:47 AM   #3450
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Yup.
__________________
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
marvel, marvel cinematic universe, shield, the avengers

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.