RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 145,442
Members: 25,786
Currently online: 553
Newest member: mekahut

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old September 28 2013, 04:46 PM   #241
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

^ That would have been very Whedonesque.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 04:54 PM   #242
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Seriously, is Back to the Future people's only referent for flying cars? What about The Jetsons, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Supercar, Blade Runner, etc.?
For people of a certain age, I'm sure. Plus, the last shot with the car flying right at the screen was a lot like the last shot of Back to the Future.
Old September 28 2013, 05:15 PM   #243
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Watching that clip, I can't help but wonder once again where the rest of SHIELD went. Isn't chasing down new superpowered threats something that you'd want the entire organization in on-- or at least more than the five people we see here?

Is everyone else just waiting on standby until the next alien invasion or something? Somehow it just seems like an awfully small team for the mission they're undertaking.
They're positively enormous compared to Torchwood. Or the X-Files, or Fringe Division.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 05:19 PM   #244
Christopher
Writer

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
They're positively enormous compared to Torchwood.
Well, Torchwood Three was a small group, but it was one of several. And Torchwood One was a pretty massive operation before its demise.
Old September 28 2013, 05:30 PM   #245
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
They're positively enormous compared to Torchwood.
Well, Torchwood Three was a small group, but it was one of several. And Torchwood One was a pretty massive operation before its demise.
True but,
Torchwood One was destroyed
Torchwood Two was in Scotland and "strange"
Torchwood Four was missing

And Torchwood Three was basically responsible for monitoring the rift.

The real point anyway is that TV has a history of undersized organizations due to real world logistics and budgets.
Old September 28 2013, 05:44 PM   #246
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

Δ It wouldn't take a lot to have an establishing shot of walking into a SHIELD HQ that was a bit like the one in Men In Black, or a meeting of the 'special team' on the helicarrier. They could even reuse the helicarrier shots from Avengers.

Just something to say that despite following a small team, SHIELD's huge...
Old September 28 2013, 05:56 PM   #247
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Seriously, is Back to the Future people's only referent for flying cars? What about The Jetsons, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Supercar, Blade Runner, etc.?
Or, say, the flying car that appeared in the very first SHIELD comic over twenty years before Back to the Future . . . ?
Old September 28 2013, 05:56 PM   #248
davejames
Vice Admiral

On the other hand, past history with superhumans has shown that they don't always respond well to the hard sell, or to a military organization charging in to surround them. That could get people hurt. Maybe the idea is that a softer sell, approaching them with a smaller team, would be less threatening, less likely to provoke conflict.
Well sure, I can see why you'd only want to send 5 guys out to interact with a subject. But when it comes to tracking people down behind the scenes, or figuring out some complex mystery or motive, or defusing a potentially hazardous or destructive Extremis-style threat, I'd think you'd want to rely on more than just.... a hacker, a pilot, a couple of lab techs, and one black ops guy.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 05:58 PM   #249
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Nick Ryder wrote: View Post
Also a way to introduce smaller, more 'street level' characters too. I mean honestly I totally think Cloak and Dagger or Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Misty Knight and Colleen Wing could easily show up in an episode as "Heroes for Hire" and it would work far better on TV than it would on the big screen.
A Heroes for Hire series would be AWESOME.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 06:06 PM   #250
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Well sure, I can see why you'd only want to send 5 guys out to interact with a subject. But when it comes to tracking people down behind the scenes, or figuring out some complex mystery or motive, or defusing a potentially hazardous or destructive Extremis-style threat, I'd think you'd want to rely on more than just.... a hacker, a pilot, a couple of lab techs, and one black ops guy.
I like the idea that SHIELD is working on cosmic/global threats and just don't have time and resources to get involved if they don't have to and using Coulson and his small team to handle these. Let's face it SHIELD is not going to come in full force in every episode of this series.

theenglish wrote: View Post
Nick Ryder wrote: View Post
Also a way to introduce smaller, more 'street level' characters too. I mean honestly I totally think Cloak and Dagger or Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Misty Knight and Colleen Wing could easily show up in an episode as "Heroes for Hire" and it would work far better on TV than it would on the big screen.
A Heroes for Hire series would be AWESOME.
That could be pretty cool, it would need a certain panache or whatever but if done right...
Old September 28 2013, 06:10 PM   #251
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I have no problem with the small team; it's a trope that makes sense. We're focusing on the task force that is the most interesting to watch. In Star Trek, there were twelve Constitution-class starships, but the TV show was about the one that was special. This show is about the SHIELD task force that is, or will turn out to be, the special one. I'm sure we'll see them utilizing SHIELD's vast resources as needed.
Old September 28 2013, 06:10 PM   #252
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Or, say, the flying car that appeared in the very first SHIELD comic over twenty years before Back to the Future . . . ?
It's not surprising people would make that comparison. After all I'm pretty confident that more people have seen the 'Back to the Future' films than have read the 'SHIELD' comics.

It's often unfortunate, but the truth is that when it comes to the perception of the masses, it's not always as important who did what first, as it is who did what most popularly in "this generation". Whatever you call a generation these days.
Case in point, I saw somewhere a while back someone claiming the the Buffy comics were ripping off Twilight...admittedly there's a 50/50 chance they were trolling.

For the record though, I've never read the comics and 'flying Delorean' was the first thought that popped into my head too. Yeah there are other flying cars in pop culture, but the whole surprise reveal coupled with the wheels folding down and the car being modern (or in this case, classic) as opposed to some futuristic sky car *is* very reminiscent, even if the comics did all of it first.

Last edited by Reverend; September 28 2013 at 06:21 PM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 06:24 PM   #253
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

It's not a question of "Where's SHIELD?". They are SHIELD. We're seeing SHIELD in action, they just don't send an entire helicarrier full of personnel and equipment into every situation. Relax and enjoy, people.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 06:48 PM   #254
Forbin
Admiral

It's very possible that the last shot was an intentional, affectionate reference to BttF.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 07:28 PM   #255
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
The whole thing did scream "Back to the Future" with the wheels going into hover mode, the takeoff and the fact that it was a fun bit tacked on at the end.
Or was the car design from BTTF taken from the comics?

I had no problem with the allusion to BTTF. But the flying car has been around for awhile in the comics. Captain America uses it quite a bit.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote