Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 28 2013, 03:15 AM   #226
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Mach5 wrote: View Post
Seen the pilot. It was ok, I guess.

The flying car thing at the end felt kinda silly. Like, "Eureka" silly. But then again, this is the universe in which Norse gods are real, so it's not really an issue.
Plus, as I've probably already pointed out, the flying sports car has been a staple of SHIELD comics for nearly fifty years now. At this point, it's like complaining that the Silver Surfer's cosmic surfboard is kinda silly. Or that Bruce Banner turns into a giant green monster.

It comes with the comic-book universe.
Old September 28 2013, 04:17 AM   #227
Mr Light
Admiral

<<It's probably worth pointing out, in the MCU at least, Norse gods aren't "real" so much as they're just long-lived, near immortal alien whom ancient humans took to be gods.>>

"You haven't seen his arms"

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 04:22 AM   #228
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Mach5 wrote: View Post
Seen the pilot. It was ok, I guess.

The flying car thing at the end felt kinda silly. Like, "Eureka" silly. But then again, this is the universe in which Norse gods are real, so it's not really an issue.
Plus, as I've probably already pointed out, the flying sports car has been a staple of SHIELD comics for nearly fifty years now. At this point, it's like complaining that the Silver Surfer's cosmic surfboard is kinda silly. Or that Bruce Banner turns into a giant green monster.

Exactly, the car is a well-known part of shield. I was happy that they kept it.

Regarding the concerns about this being the only team dealing with threats, I did not get that impression. I thought that this was basically a group taking a smaller scale approach than the rest of SHEILD, flying under the radar so to speak. That is why they are using "old" tech rather than the carrier and keeping a low profile. This was also the reason Coulson wanted to recruit Skye.

From a production perspective, this allows for in-universe stories that don't rely on heavy special effects.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 05:38 AM   #229
JD
Admiral

Yeah, I got the impression that they would be dealing with the smaller scale issues that don't necessarily require the whole agency. You know like the one guy with superpowers we got here, or the one piece of tech we got last week.
Basically I think they'll be the ones dealing with the smaller problems while we see all of the big issues in the movies.
Old September 28 2013, 07:44 AM   #230
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Also a way to introduce smaller, more 'street level' characters too. I mean honestly I totally think Cloak and Dagger or Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Misty Knight and Colleen Wing could easily show up in an episode as "Heroes for Hire" and it would work far better on TV than it would on the big screen.
Old September 28 2013, 09:35 AM   #231
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Historically internal bookkeeping means that even Marvel has to pay Marvel to use Marvel characters.

Logically all the characters they are allowed to use gratis, everything/one directly associated with S.H.I.E.L.D. as well as their wish-list, which would have been arranged months ago when the lawyers were making out, that will be fixed until it's time to renegotiate after probably season 3 or 5.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 10:17 AM   #232
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Simmons references "our journey into mystery." Ha-ha.
I noticed that, too. It was funny, but seemed a bit random since it was actually Strange Tales where SHIELD appeared. Or were there other similar references that I didn't hear?
I guess "strange tales" was harder to work into the dialogue!
Probably, but there's a couple of places it would have worked nicely-- notably Ward's entry into level 7 scene at the beginning.

Plus it's all one big connected universe now (except the parts they don't have the license for). Marvel has always been promiscuous in its cross-referencing, so why should this show be any different?
No reason, but if you're going to name drop a relatively obscure anthology title, you'd think they'd pick the one related to the subject matter.

The reason that TV and movie adaptations of superheroes and such pretty much always fail on a creative level (if not the financial level), is that the producers seem embarrassed by the source material and go mainstream. This stuff is supposed to be pure imagination, it's supposed to be about the creativity and the artistry, it's supposed to be off the wall and over the top; watering it down to the level where mundanes are comfortable with it just takes the magic out of it.
Old September 28 2013, 01:50 PM   #233
bigboojeg
Vice Admiral

I liked it but it was a bit campy (though I think that was their goal).

I'm sure if the show gets big enough, we'll see all sorts of one-shot 2nd-string heroes make an appearance (around season 3).
bigboojeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 01:55 PM   #234
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

I'll just reiterate what others have said...it's pretty silly to complain about a flying car in a universe that already established a flying aircraft carrier.

I have to wonder if Tony didn't design the helicarrier as a way of massively one-upping the old man....
The Dead Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 03:09 PM   #235
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

I had no problem with the flying car.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 03:17 PM   #236
bigboojeg
Vice Admiral

^I had no problem with it though I couldn't help thinking of back to the future.
bigboojeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 03:49 PM   #237
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

Funny thing is, as soon as they introduced Lola, the thought crossed my mind that she might turn out to be a flying car, but I didn't think they'd have the balls to do it....
The Dead Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 03:54 PM   #238
Christopher
Writer

Seriously, is Back to the Future people's only referent for flying cars? What about The Jetsons, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Supercar, Blade Runner, etc.?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 03:58 PM   #239
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

The whole thing did scream "Back to the Future" with the wheels going into hover mode, the takeoff and the fact that it was a fun bit tacked on at the end.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 04:40 PM   #240
sojourner
Admiral

Seriously, is Back to the Future people's only referent for flying cars? What about The Jetsons, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Supercar, Blade Runner, etc.?
It was more the staging of the scene, what with Coulson putting on the shades and everything ala Doc Brown. Hell, they should have gone ahead and used the line from BTTF. He could have followed it by dove tailing his comment of "sorry, I couldn't resist" from the beginning of the episode. It would have seemed less "cheesy" I think.