RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,261
Posts: 5,349,352
Members: 24,614
Currently online: 526
Newest member: robyn

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 14 2013, 10:35 PM   #2251
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

The mysterious "Vanchat", who has been mentioned twice (Ward stole the Chitauri neural link from him in the pilot, and Akela Amadore was captured leading a raid on one of Vanchat's gulags), will make his first appearance in ep.11, "The Magical Place".

ETA: He is to be played by Aiden Turner, "Kili" from the Hobbit movies.

ETA again: The ep will also see the return of Ron Glass' Dr. Streiten.
__________________
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; December 14 2013 at 11:19 PM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 10:55 AM   #2252
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDiogenes's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

^^ It's about time. I was disappointed that Glass was not a recurring character.

Gaith wrote: View Post
RJDonner&Blitzen wrote: View Post
If that critic is complaining that the action is too boring, the dialogue is interminable, and the characters are themselves, then he simply wants the show to be a different show
Lemme stop you right there - until "The Well", the lowest grade the critic gave was a few B-minuses. He wants the show to be better.
Fair enough then. He and I have a difference of opinion. I still think he's criticizing the show for not being a different show, though.
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards!
RJDiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 02:12 PM   #2253
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral
 
FPAlpha's Avatar
 
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Christopher wrote: View Post
FPAlpha wrote: View Post
(of course he will just as Coulson will escape.. they're main characters after all).
You do remember this is a Whedon show, right...?
It's not a "Joss" Whedon show but his brother.. Joss is just giving main direction to the show to have it tie in well with the larger Marvel movie universe.

It's also too early in the show to kill off main cast characters, especially Coulson without whom the entire show would tank pretty fast.

So i don't expect them to kill of anyone in the first 2 seasons at least, if ever.I don't know if they have total creative control or if Disney is making sure they don't endanger the product by making controversial creative decisions (i doubt that if Firefly would have been a Disney show that Wash would have been killed off for example).

They don't shy away from a bit of controversy such as Couslon making some hard choices that are unusual for prime time entertainment shows but i don't know if that would extend to the main cast (though if Sky would be chosen to die i'd not lose sleep at all over it).
__________________
"A control freak like you with something you can't control? No no.. that's gonna be more fun than shark week!" Det. Javier Esposito
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 03:08 PM   #2254
theenglish
Rear Admiral
 
theenglish's Avatar
 
Location: Suriname
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
FPAlpha wrote: View Post
(of course he will just as Coulson will escape.. they're main characters after all).
You do remember this is a Whedon show, right...?
It's not a "Joss" Whedon show but his brother.. Joss is just giving main direction to the show to have it tie in well with the larger Marvel movie universe.

It's also too early in the show to kill off main cast characters, especially Coulson without whom the entire show would tank pretty fast.

So i don't expect them to kill of anyone in the first 2 seasons at least, if ever.I don't know if they have total creative control or if Disney is making sure they don't endanger the product by making controversial creative decisions (i doubt that if Firefly would have been a Disney show that Wash would have been killed off for example).

They don't shy away from a bit of controversy such as Couslon making some hard choices that are unusual for prime time entertainment shows but i don't know if that would extend to the main cast (though if Sky would be chosen to die i'd not lose sleep at all over it).
I disagree. Wheadon is famous for doing nasty things to characters early in the show's run. I fully expect somebody to be killed or turn out to be a traitor by February sweeps.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 03:13 PM   #2255
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Well, I was teasing before, of course. I actually don't expect any major deaths or Whedonesque twists, because this isn't like his other shows. It's not purely a Whedon show, it's a Marvel show, one that Whedon created and oversees on Marvel's behalf. So that means he's probably less free to go wild and do big, daring things, because there are other people's interests involved.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 03:30 PM   #2256
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Interestingly, it wasn't Whedon's idea to kill Coulson in Avengers, but he didn't think anyone would believe him.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 03:55 PM   #2257
theenglish
Rear Admiral
 
theenglish's Avatar
 
Location: Suriname
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, I was teasing before, of course. I actually don't expect any major deaths or Whedonesque twists, because this isn't like his other shows. It's not purely a Whedon show, it's a Marvel show, one that Whedon created and oversees on Marvel's behalf. So that means he's probably less free to go wild and do big, daring things, because there are other people's interests involved.
Still, Coulson aside there are several characters who could easily be done away with in the cast.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 04:04 PM   #2258
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

I don't know Whedon shows as well as many people, but does he usually kill off the superfluous character? I thought he kills off a character you wouldn't expect to die instead. Given that, the only real characters I'd expect to get killed off who are in the main cast are Ward and May, with May being the most likely.

Granted, I didn't expect Mike to get killed off the way he did. I could see that happening as well.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 04:33 PM   #2259
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Old Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

If they do bring back Amador, I fear for May. Seems like those two would cover too much overlapping ground character-wise....
__________________
50 years ago on July 6: A Hard Day's Night premieres in London.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 04:41 PM   #2260
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Amador might be less stoic than May.

Either way, the character was described as a close-combat specialist so, if she's female, she'd overlap with May. If she's male, she'd overlap with Ward. It's only a techie type person that would be different from them and they'd overlap with FitzSimmons. Really, if Amador were added as a main character, I'd fear for Amador.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 05:03 PM   #2261
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Either way, the character was described as a close-combat specialist so, if she's female, she'd overlap with May.
Actually it says the character is a specialist in combat and weapons, which seems somewhat different from May's unarmed-combat specialty.

It also says the two new characters are recurring, not regular.


If she's male
That seems unlikely. Unless she's a pre-op transsexual?
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 05:16 PM   #2262
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

I think I meant to write "if he's male" but let's roll with it.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Actually it says the character is a specialist in combat and weapons, which seems somewhat different from May's unarmed-combat specialty.
There are two characters, right? I thought one was with weapons and the other with combat?
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 05:19 PM   #2263
Duncan MacLeod
Fleet Captain
 
Duncan MacLeod's Avatar
 
Location: New England
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Christopher wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Either way, the character was described as a close-combat specialist so, if she's female, she'd overlap with May.
Actually it says the character is a specialist in combat and weapons, which seems somewhat different from May's unarmed-combat specialty.

It also says the two new characters are recurring, not regular.


If she's male
That seems unlikely. Unless she's a pre-op transsexual?
That would be incredibly daring. Even more so if the character were played by a pre-op actress.

Like to see it happen as I don't think a transgender actor has ever gotten a major role in a tv series before.

Still I doubt the mouse will allow it.
Duncan MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 05:30 PM   #2264
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Actually it says the character is a specialist in combat and weapons, which seems somewhat different from May's unarmed-combat specialty.
There are two characters, right? I thought one was with weapons and the other with combat?
http://tvline.com/2013/12/05/once-up...elle-charming/
Episode 14 will introduce two recurring characters: an African-American agent who specializes in combat/weapons, and a high-level S.H.I.E.L.D. agent/munitions expert who has past ties to both Coulson and Ward.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 10:32 PM   #2265
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDiogenes's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

I find it strange that anybody thinks that killing a main character would be daring. That's the hoariest of cliches these days. A cop out is not daring.

A transsexual character would be daring, I suppose, but what would they do with it? Make him or her a former relationship of Ward or May and show them work through their issues? I'd be up for that, but I don't think TV really does "meaningful" stories these days. Maybe they could hire a set of male-female twins to play a character who can change sex at will. That would be cool.
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards!
RJDiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
marvel, marvel cinematic universe, shield, the avengers

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.