Beam Me Up Scotty Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

UK Auction To Feature Spock Costume
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pine To Star In Wonder Woman
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Pegg Teases Elba Character
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old November 26 2013, 12:01 AM   #1876
DEWLine
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine
Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Also, reminders hidden in those suspect profiles of what's being done in the States - elsewhere too, perhaps? - re: library research being tracked.

Could SHIELD do that sort of tracking without even bothering to get the kind of warrant being talked about under the United States' USA PATRIOT Act (to use one of the better-known examples of such legislation), simply hacking into the libraries' servers and tap right into the relevant databases?

Probably.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 02:18 AM   #1877
DEWLine
Commodore

Flitting back through those archives for a moment, we can possibly place the fictional town of Wrigley, PA from "F.Z.Z.T." in Huntingdon County. We have a map.

Although it does look as if actual Pennsylvania locations are mixed in with a few from Mexico and Argentina...?

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
Old November 26 2013, 05:05 AM   #1878
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Yeah, what's with the Spanish?
Old November 26 2013, 10:43 AM   #1879
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

DEWLine wrote: View Post
And oh yeah. *chuckle* The would-be equestrian is actually getting something useful and productive done while everyone else on that message board is going on with their screeding!
And note the comment, "All those who choose to oppose us must YIELD." I wonder how many people recognize that.
Old November 26 2013, 02:59 PM   #1880
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

Agents of SHIELD: 1x10 "Repairs"

Coulson and his team are haunted by a mysterious force that threatens to destroy them all, and only a secret from May's past can save them
Old November 26 2013, 03:44 PM   #1881
DEWLine
Commodore

Noting the backdrop of Batesville, Utah...I did some checking. Batesville used to exist as a separate community in Utah, but it looks as if it's not such at present...?

(Location info pulled together from the trailer, the teaser as shown online, and the publicity stills released to the public.)

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
Old November 27 2013, 02:02 AM   #1882
jbny67
Captain

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
DEWLine wrote: View Post
Hmmm...sidebar question: is there a screencap of the two lead hatemongers' SHIELD profile as shown aboard the Bus?
Here.

Nothing particularly revealing there, but check out the web-chatter from Nystrom's followers. Something pretty funny included amongst the bile...
I like the nod to the old Capt. America cartoon theme in that one post.
jbny67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 02:57 AM   #1883
Agent Richard07
Admiral

At some point, I figured that we'd get another Thor reference, then sure enough we did with the mention of the accident causing world-jumping.

Then I figured that the "demon" was someone the girl knew and sure enough...

Then the extra scene at the end... Good one. Best one yet since Nick Fury. It was a nice cap-off for the May story.

Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 03:04 AM   #1884
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

Yeah, I really liked the tag-scene a suggestion that the "old" May is still there.

Episode overall was pretty good but, again, it seems odd to ask people if they believe in God or to question a belief in God when, literally, beings who were/are seen as gods have actually visited the planet.
Old November 27 2013, 04:00 AM   #1885
Christopher
Writer

A fairly good one, though it was pretty clear from the start that someone invisible was causing the things the woman was being accused of. Still, there was effective character building and interplay.

I was wondering whether Coulson was telling Skye the real story or just telling her another made-up version, not as a prank but because it was what she needed to hear. But since we didn't get it refuted, I suppose it was meant to be real. I guess it's appropriate that May's character exploration would come from others talking about her rather than her talking about herself. Still, I think she had more lines here than she's had in any two prior episodes.

Interesting that they're still dealing with the aftereffects of Thor: The Dark World. We might be seeing that for a while.

I wish TV and movie writers would stop assuming that planes fall out of the sky the moment they lose power. Typically a jet at cruising altitude and speed can glide for something like 70-100 miles, giving them plenty of time to reach an airport. They're designed to stay in the air.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Episode overall was pretty good but, again, it seems odd to ask people if they believe in God or to question a belief in God when, literally, beings who were/are seen as gods have actually visited the planet.
That's not odd at all, because it's understood that they're not gods but aliens. Besides, people who don't believe in Norse gods wouldn't accept them as real gods anyway, any more than a Christian would accept Zeus as a real god.
Old November 27 2013, 04:09 AM   #1886
Alidar Jarok

I guess I should have known better than to think that this was the reveal of May's secret. In reality, it was more of the setup for it (I guess it's always been there, but this gave us some context, not answers). I'm not sure how to feel with how May handled the situation. It would have been nice to try to save him. Then again, it seemed to fit well with the themes of the episode and the character moments too. The squishy resolution was essentially how Coulson had previously attempted to resolve May's situation.

Good episode, very tense at parts.
Old November 27 2013, 04:57 AM   #1887
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

Christopher wrote: View Post
That's not odd at all, because it's understood that they're not gods but aliens. Besides, people who don't believe in Norse gods wouldn't accept them as real gods anyway, any more than a Christian would accept Zeus as a real god.
But that's sorta my point.

We, today, look at Norse Gods, Greek Gods and what have you as just being ancient people trying to make some sense of the world around them. Largely why those Gods have mostly faded into myth as we understood things like fire, thunder, and such but -by and large- we've stuck with the idea of "one" being known as "God" and his son Jesus. Some variations and other things out there, sure, but there we have it. And just like we don't believe in Norse or Greek gods anymore many people don't believe in the Christian God, Buddah or other beings and deities.

But here in the Marvel Universe a man once seen as a God has shown up and that alone would reveal that much of the myths and legends in Norse Mythology is true even if they don't have the knowledge we have on other Norse legends being real.

I would think seeing someone who was seen as a god a millennia ago come down and pretty much confirm that those legends and stories were true would have a pretty big impact. Because NOW who's to say the Greek Gods weren't also real, just beings from another realm/plane? Or even Jesus and other Christian figures?

To me it goes along with the "no such thing as ESP" thing, that fantastic things have already shown themselves to be real and true so it's odd to so easily dismiss other things. While things like ESP may not have yet been proven it should atleast remain a blip on the RADAR as being possible given that "gamma radiation" does to people, super-soldier serums and, again, "gods" coming down from other realms to prevent the end of the universe.

So, "Yeah, Thor exists and is damn sexy! But I'm not sure I believe in the Biblical God," seems like an odd position to take.
Old November 27 2013, 05:01 AM   #1888
kirk55555
Commodore

Yeah, I think I'm going to skip this episode. I'll watch episodes that deal with Coulson's thing, and any that actually relate in a semi significant way to the Marvel universe that the show is supposedly a part of, but I'm done with the completely generic spy episodes. Until Extremis comes back, we find out about tahiti, or an actual supervillain based off the comics shows up I feel fine with skipping episodes.
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 05:03 AM   #1889
Alidar Jarok

Why not just look at wikipedia after an episode airs so you can get the answer? That way you don't have to watch at all.
Old November 27 2013, 05:11 AM   #1890
kirk55555
Commodore

I like watching Coulson when he's given screen time. I'll look up episode summaries, and when an episode deals with something besides the super generic spy stuff, i'll watch the episode. So, no more watching generic episodes, or episodes focused on Ward, skye, and nerd/Nerdette, unless they also include substantial Marvel stuff or stuff about Coulson.
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote