CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 2 2013, 04:44 PM   #181
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: State of Trek according to Entertainment Weekly

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post
Not to start profit and loss wars again on these boards, but World War Z is mentioned in the article as having barely made a profit. Wonder what the source for that is. Its reported budget of $190 million is identical to the one reported for STID, but WWZ made $70 million more that STID in worldwide gross ($467 million for STID to $540 million for WWZ).
WWZ made more box office over all, however, they only made $202M Domestically, compared to their budget of $190M. STiD made $228M Domestically.

The International Box Office share for Paramount is much, much smaller than Domestic.

Also, you have to wonder about Productizing, did STiD sell more Product Placement or TV Rights? Was $190M WWZ's true Budget after all was said and done? There were lots of delays, and rewrites and budget overruns, etc.

STiD definitely seems to be making up for any less than desired Box Office by it's stellar Disc sales
When a budget say 190 million, does it already include the 5 millions they got from Nokia and the 5 millions they got from Budweiser, etc...? A third of the film is already paid for by product placement.

Hollywood accounting is a mystery in itself. Don't trust anyone when they say it didn't make a profit. As far as I know, David Prowse has still not seen a penny for his performance in Return of the Jedi, because it didn't make a profit.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 04:52 PM   #182
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post
Not to start profit and loss wars again on these boards, but World War Z is mentioned in the article as having barely made a profit. Wonder what the source for that is. Its reported budget of $190 million is identical to the one reported for STID, but WWZ made $70 million more that STID in worldwide gross ($467 million for STID to $540 million for WWZ).
WWZ made more box office over all, however, they only made $202M Domestically, compared to their budget of $190M. STiD made $228M Domestically.

The International Box Office share for Paramount is much, much smaller than Domestic.

Also, you have to wonder about Productizing, did STiD sell more Product Placement or TV Rights? Was $190M WWZ's true Budget after all was said and done? There were lots of delays, and rewrites and budget overruns, etc.

STiD definitely seems to be making up for any less than desired Box Office by it's stellar Disc sales
When a budget say 190 million, does it already include the 5 millions they got from Nokia and the 5 millions they got from Budweiser, etc...? A third of the film is already paid for by product placement.

Hollywood accounting is a mystery in itself. Don't trust anyone when they say it didn't make a profit. As far as I know, David Prowse has still not seen a penny for his performance in Return of the Jedi, because it didn't make a profit.
1. Yea, absolutely, the published numbers don't give a true Profit/Loss picture. When they say a movie made a profit or a loss, they mean it achieved or didn't achieve a certain profit margin, which isn't the same as making back expenses plus more.
2. No, Product Placements, Selling Toys, TV/streaming Rights, Disc sales, none of that is included in Box Office, that's all gravy, they expect to reach the "required" numbers on Box Office alone

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 09:40 PM   #183
Opus
Commodore

I see we're back to "The Best (or 'Worst' depending on your viewpoint I suppose) of the ST XI+ Message Board" repeats:

Episode 47:

"The Big Box Office Bruhaha!"
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 03:59 AM   #184
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

I move to call the question.
Old October 7 2013, 07:33 AM   #185
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Yep. I almost mentioned "Planet of the Titans", a proposal for TMP, in which we were to learn that, at the end of the 5YM, the Enterprise saucer had separated and softlanded on a planet, and was considered lost for a decade. IIRC.

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
But it was for a version of PotT.

ie. "The first visualization of a saucer separation was conceptualized by Ralph McQuarrie, as he worked on the pre-production of the abandoned 1976-1977 Star Trek: Planet of the Titans project. He stated, 'I had devised a concept for the end of the film...'."
My point was that there's no PotT script summary I know of which describes that the saucer soft landed and was "lost". McQuarrie had a concept which had the saucer separating and being trapped inside the "shroud", which isn't the same thing. I think Gene was enamored of the separation and it cropped up in different places in different guises.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 06:16 PM   #186
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

SeerSGB wrote:
I think maybe that was intended as a response to this post?

Last edited by M'Sharak; October 7 2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: to edit content of post which has been moved
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 07:06 PM   #187
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote:
Thanks, and fixed. Don't know how I did that. Bad Seer, bad!

Last edited by M'Sharak; October 7 2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: to edit content of post which was moved to other thread
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 07:16 PM   #188
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote:
Too many tabs open, perhaps. I've now moved the post to that thread.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 07:41 PM   #189
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Too many tabs open, perhaps. I've now moved the post to that thread.
Thank ya'
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote