Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 29 2013, 10:13 PM   #106
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Re: Castle - Season 6 Discussion & Spoilers

Christopher wrote: View Post
Is it even possible to do swordfighting improv?
Speaking as a guy who does improv as a second career, yes. But only if both parties are in on it. And, well, Nathan Fillion IS a trained and awesome improvisor, at the least. :P

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 10:26 PM   #107
Christopher
Writer

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
Is it even possible to do swordfighting improv?
Speaking as a guy who does improv as a second career, yes. But only if both parties are in on it. And, well, Nathan Fillion IS a trained and awesome improvisor, at the least. :P
Yes, but Castle thought he was fighting for real. In a joint improv performance, both participants are communicating through subtle cues, based on their mutual experience with the conventions of the art. They're working with each other, like a dance, in order to create the appearance that they're fighting against each other. So if one participant were trying to coordinate with a fellow performer and the other participant were genuinely trying to fight off the other guy, they just wouldn't mesh and it would be obvious to the actor pretty quickly that the other guy wasn't just playing.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2013, 10:40 PM   #108
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Yes, I agree. I suppose however that if the actor (his character that is) was REALLY good, he could conceivably have been able to make the opponents believe that they were actually fighting him, or close enough to maintain an air of legitimacy. They were paying $2500 a pop just to play after all, so while it stretches believability a lot (but no more than par for the show's wackier episodes), I can believe that the actor was just really, really good, and also that the (self?) trained Castle would just find himself wrapped up in whatever his brain has come up with, as has happened before.

Mark

Old October 30 2013, 12:44 AM   #109
Christopher
Writer

But the point is, why wouldn't the actor have known that Castle wasn't playing? I mean, if you think you're doing a stage-choreographed fistfight with someone and he socks you in the gut for real, that's gonna tell you it's not a performance to him, and you're going to have a very good incentive to try to bring a halt to the proceedings as quickly as possible. As soon as the guy realized that Castle wasn't stage-fighting, he should've called a time-out and dropped the act for his own protection.

Old October 30 2013, 03:02 AM   #110
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I don't care I enjoyed the episode. However having just seen the time travel episode I loved that one more. Best case ever.
Old October 30 2013, 02:47 PM   #111
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I've really enjoyed the lighter tone of the last two episodes. It felt like some of their earlier shows and it was refreshing.

Regarding Alexis, my wife said it best. You know she's all grown up when make-up ice cream doesn't work.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 05:34 PM   #112
Forbin
Admiral

This did feel like a self-conscious caricature of a Castle episode, to the point of actually having Castle say "I'm the one who makes up crazy theories."
I've noticed over the years that a lot of shows end up being sort of self-parodies if they're on the air long enough. Miami Vice, the Odd Couple... The producers (or whoever) need to reign them in at some point to get them back on track to their original concept (though that rarely happens)
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 06:15 PM   #113
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

But the point is, why wouldn't the actor have known that Castle wasn't playing? I mean, if you think you're doing a stage-choreographed fistfight with someone and he socks you in the gut for real, that's gonna tell you it's not a performance to him, and you're going to have a very good incentive to try to bring a halt to the proceedings as quickly as possible. As soon as the guy realized that Castle wasn't stage-fighting, he should've called a time-out and dropped the act for his own protection.
I'm not saying the actor didn't realize it. I'm just positing that he could have been THAT good and believed he was not at all in any danger from an enlightened amateur such as Rick Castle, whose stage combat skills were rarely seen outside play-fencing with Alexis (or whatever he couldn't get away with while his mum was around teaching). Castle wasn't out to KILL the actor anyway, and the latter would be playing with that in mind. The fake guardian would have played it up as well as he could and then LET Castle "win", as per the script. I've actually done this sort of fake combat thing as part of a similar brand of treasure-hunting gig, though admittedly we fought with pool noodles.

Again, I know it's stretching it, but no more than some of the quirkier episodes of the show...

Mark

Old October 30 2013, 06:43 PM   #114
Christopher
Writer

^Yeah, but I'm sure the guy wouldn't have wanted to risk actual injury either. I mean, he's a struggling actor. What are the odds he has good health insurance? Even if he does, an injury could mean days off work and a loss of income -- maybe even a permanent risk to his career if his face were damaged.

Old October 30 2013, 11:03 PM   #115
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Forget the sword fight. Was I the only one who kinda sympathized with the killer?

SPOILERS . . .. ..

/
/
/
I mean, seriously, just one of those thousands of coins would solved the cousin's financial problems and paid for his elderly mother's care, but Susannah insisted that the whole treasure trove be donated to a museum instead? She couldn't spare one coin to make sure her only family was set financially and her aunt got the care she needed?

I'm not saying she had it coming, but . . . .

Last edited by Greg Cox; October 30 2013 at 11:40 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 12:52 AM   #116
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

You do have a point there. There was 1,000ish coins and they couldn't keep 10?
Old October 31 2013, 12:53 AM   #117
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Very good point. Although I don't think I would have killed my cousin over it.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 01:41 AM   #118
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Zombie Seeker wrote: View Post
Very good point. Although I don't think I would have killed my cousin over it.
What if your cousin wouldn't give you money to save your mother or father?

I didn't really think of this while watching the episode, I was too happy to have Castle finally be right about a conspiracy theory.
Old October 31 2013, 05:38 AM   #119
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Forget the sword fight. Was I the only one who kinda sympathized with the killer?

SPOILERS . . .. ..

/
/
/
I mean, seriously, just one of those thousands of coins would solved the cousin's financial problems and paid for his elderly mother's care, but Susannah insisted that the whole treasure trove be donated to a museum instead? She couldn't spare one coin to make sure her only family was set financially and her aunt got the care she needed?

I'm not saying she had it coming, but . . . .
Yep, I felt the same way. That was really selfish of her not to offer to share a little, especially given his mother's medical situation and that he's as entitled to make decisions about what to do with the fortune as she is (though in reality, I think the government would come in to claim the fortune).
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2013, 01:57 PM   #120
Forbin
Admiral

Im N Ur Childhoodz wrote: View Post
(though in reality, I think the government would come in to claim the fortune).
... or maybe the church on whose property the treasure was found would claim it. Not sure how the legalities of possession would work in this case. If you find treasure on someone else's property, can you keep it, or does it belong to the property owner? I'd guess the property owner!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote