Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 4 2014, 08:26 PM   #256
Christopher
Writer

Re: Castle - Season 6 Discussion & Spoilers

I remember Beckett's fluency in Russian, but I didn't remember Jonathan Adams being in this show before. His one prior appearance was over three years ago, according to IMDb.

So how did this situation arise again? I think what happened is that the cops arrested Elena and she pretended to be a low-level courier rather than an assassin, and Narcotics fell for her story. I guess. It doesn't seem that she intended to set up Beckett, since nobody seemed to know who Kate really was until Simmons saw her face. Presumably Elena's suicide "attempt" was carefully calibrated just to put her in the hospital so she'd get the cops off their guard and could escape.

Anyway, that makes it kind of contrived that Beckett ended up in this situation, that Elena happened to resemble her and be fluent in the same languages.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 09:01 PM   #257
Buck Bokai
Lieutenant

View Buck Bokai's Twitter Profile

Whoa Nellie wrote: View Post
Kirby wrote: View Post
Finally a good episode! Although did we know before that Beckett was fluent in Russian?
Season 2 episode 1 "Deep in Death" establishes Beckett is fluent in Russian. Castle is undercover in an illegal gambling den while Beckett, Ryan and Esposito are in the surveillance van. Beckett's ability to speak Russian is how she knows Castle is in trouble.

Warmest Wishes,
Whoa Nellie

Beckett: *in a Russian accent* Sometimes when I am bored, I go to Glechik Cafe in Little Odessa and pretend to be Muscovite.

Esposito: Now that's kinda hot!
Buck Bokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 11:56 PM   #258
Whoa Nellie
Fleet Captain

Buck Bokai wrote: View Post
Whoa Nellie wrote: View Post
Kirby wrote: View Post
Finally a good episode! Although did we know before that Beckett was fluent in Russian?
Season 2 episode 1 "Deep in Death" establishes Beckett is fluent in Russian. Castle is undercover in an illegal gambling den while Beckett, Ryan and Esposito are in the surveillance van. Beckett's ability to speak Russian is how she knows Castle is in trouble.

Warmest Wishes,
Whoa Nellie

Beckett: *in a Russian accent* Sometimes when I am bored, I go to Glechik Cafe in Little Odessa and pretend to be Muscovite.

Esposito: Now that's kinda hot!
I love that scene! It is just too funny!

Warmest Wishes,
Whoa Nellie
Old March 5 2014, 10:35 AM   #259
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

Christopher wrote: View Post
So how did this situation arise again? I think what happened is that the cops arrested Elena and she pretended to be a low-level courier rather than an assassin, and Narcotics fell for her story. I guess. It doesn't seem that she intended to set up Beckett, since nobody seemed to know who Kate really was until Simmons saw her face. Presumably Elena's suicide "attempt" was carefully calibrated just to put her in the hospital so she'd get the cops off their guard and could escape.

Anyway, that makes it kind of contrived that Beckett ended up in this situation, that Elena happened to resemble her and be fluent in the same languages.
This is all getting a bit Lex Luthor-ish, but what if the resemblance between Beckett and Elena isn't coincidental at all, but a deliberate choice on Bracken's part? Say Beckett is getting too close to a break in the case against Bracken at some point in the future, and he needs to back her off or get her arrested. What better way to do it then to frame her for a murder and have the killer look like her and speak Russian like her (plus, whatever other evidence they can drop to frame her)? Maybe Bracken hired Elena precisely for those characteristics. Also, if he ever needed her to infiltrate some event, organization, or facility posing as Beckett, Elena would come in handy for that as well.

Getting even more Machiavellian, perhaps this undercover operation was entirely orchestrated by Bracken as well. He let his assassin get busted, knowing full well she could escape on her own later, and had her fake the suicide attempt so she wouldn't be available to go to the meet with Simmon's henchmen. He either knew the NYPD would send Beckett in her place, or he gave them a nudge in that direction through some of his connections in the NYPD.

It seems a bit elaborate all to expedite paying off his life debt to Beckett, so maybe he wanted Vulcan Simmon's operation to get shut down because it had outlived its usefulness. Plus, he gets to rub her face in the fact that he's untouchable again and that he's still out there, because he's a psychopath and they often crave an audience, an adversary, and the risk of being caught, which Beckett fulfills for Bracken.

Anyway, I figured early on with how powerful and secretive he was that Lazarus was going to turn out to be Bracken. While he's not risen from the dead obviously, the plot and his character disappeared for a while, so it seemed like an apt name for his dramatic resurrection. Plus, it could be a way of sending a message to Beckett that he's untouchable, and he's egotistical enough to compare himself and his righteous mission (in his mind) in politics to a faithful follower of Christ.

It was something of a bad cop reunion between Lem from The Shield (Kenny Johnson) as the kidnapper and Terney from Person of Interest (Al Sapienza) as Mr. Jones, Simmon's head henchman. Funnily enough, Sapienza's character also worked under a guy named Simmons on Person of Interest, in an organization of bad cops called HR.

Nice to get back to a good dramatic episode and to return to Kate's arc again. I like a good mix between standalone and arc eps (whether Kate's or Castle's), and between frivolity and seriousness, but it had seemed to lean a bit too far in the standalone and frivolity department as of late, and often poorly executed ones at that. This was a nice return to form.
Old March 5 2014, 11:38 AM   #260
intrinsical
Commodore

Which begs the question... Why on earth would Bracken expose himself as Lazarus and expose his entire operation to the cops just to pay off his debt to Beckett? Makes no sense to me.
Old March 5 2014, 03:02 PM   #261
Christopher
Writer

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Anyway, I figured early on with how powerful and secretive he was that Lazarus was going to turn out to be Bracken.
Whereas I figured that out because I saw Jack Coleman's name in the guest credits. Kind of a major spoiler there.

It was something of a bad cop reunion between Lem from The Shield (Kenny Johnson) as the kidnapper and Terney from Person of Interest (Al Sapienza) as Mr. Jones, Simmon's head henchman. Funnily enough, Sapienza's character also worked under a guy named Simmons on Person of Interest, in an organization of bad cops called HR.
I was just thinking last night about how many different characters named Simmons have been on TV recently, including those two. There's also Jemma Simmons on Agents of SHIELD.

Old March 5 2014, 03:23 PM   #262
Forbin
Admiral

Man, that union rule of listing all the guest stars in the opening credits has ruined a lot of surprises.
Forbin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 03:59 PM   #263
Christopher
Writer

Forbin wrote: View Post
Man, that union rule of listing all the guest stars in the opening credits has ruined a lot of surprises.
It's not an absolute rule; sometimes actors agree to waive a listing in the opening credits in order to preserve the secret of their appearance (although they're usually listed right at the start of the end credits). But that would probably entail either the actor (and their agent) being willing to settle for less money or the producers being willing to pay them more to compensate, and the people involved aren't always able to come to an accommodation.

Old March 5 2014, 04:01 PM   #264
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

Christopher wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Anyway, I figured early on with how powerful and secretive he was that Lazarus was going to turn out to be Bracken.
Whereas I figured that out because I saw Jack Coleman's name in the guest credits. Kind of a major spoiler there.
That's why I'm glad I just know him as "That guy from Heroes" so I wasn't spoiled by knowing his name.
Old March 5 2014, 04:15 PM   #265
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I usually don't pay attention to the credits that much, but even if I had in this case I wouldn't have recognized his name.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 07:30 PM   #266
SAndrews10
Captain

Yeah I saw the name in the credits and I knew where we were going with things.
SAndrews10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 07:55 PM   #267
Forbin
Admiral

I usually ignore the credits (I'm tryin' to watch the show, dammit! ). Then when I see someone I recognize and go "Hey look! It's That Guy!" my wife will smugly say "Yeah, his name was in the credits, didn't you see?" Then I have tell her that if she ever expects me to untie her or take her down from the wall, she'd better knock that shit off.
Forbin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 08:02 PM   #268
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Hey, what you guys do in your own home...

It's the reverse for me. I'm the one who recognizes all the Vancouver-based or familiar actor names in the credits and has to keep my trap shut for when we recognize them from another show. Otherwise, she ties ME to the wall.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 07:46 PM   #269
SAndrews10
Captain

That's awesome Mark and Forbin...yeah we're 30 seconds into the guest credits and I turn to my wife and say YEAH THAT SENATOR THAT KILLED BECKS MOM IS THE ONE BEHIND ALL THIS.
SAndrews10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 09:18 PM   #270
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

intrinsical wrote: View Post
Which begs the question... Why on earth would Bracken expose himself as Lazarus and expose his entire operation to the cops just to pay off his debt to Beckett? Makes no sense to me.
Because Beckett can't prove anything and despite his horrible acts he has a kinda personal honor that compelled him to repay his debt to Beckett.

Beckett can't act unless she has undeniable proof because as soon as she goes after him publicly she will be questioned about motif and then her mother's case will be dragged into this making her a biased investigator which may instantly shut down any case.