The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Favorite/Best Regeneration Story
The Tenth Planet 1 2.50%
War Games 5 12.50%
Planet of the Spiders 1 2.50%
Logopolis 3 7.50%
Caves of Androzani 19 47.50%
The Enemy Within (The TV Movie) 0 0%
Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways 8 20.00%
The End of Time 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 23 2013, 05:48 PM   #16
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Re: Best Regeneration Story

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
Logopolis . . . Plus, why did the Doctor want to fix the chameleon circuit all of a sudden?
That bit stems from the Keeper of Traken where the Doctor is reminded that the Master has a TARDIS with a fully functioning chameleon circuit and used it to good effect (from the Master's POV).

And, I'd say that story harkens back to Delgado's Master whose TARDIS routinely changed shapes for good effect (from a circus truck to a space ship). In Colony in Space (I believe), the Doctor notes that the Master's TARDIS is more advanced than his.

I think the Doctor felt insecure, over-matched and basically had his face rubbed in the fact that the Master's TARDIS is superior to his own. Particularly because it's been a long standing issue with the Master and the Doctor still hadn't fixed it!

Mr Awe
Hm, good point. I must not have paid attention at that moment. Shame on me, I guess. Thanks for it, anyway.

Do note I don't dislike Logopolis at all - I just think it needed a more focused, more Holmes-esque rewrite. Unrealized potential and all that.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 06:35 PM   #17
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ I like Logopolis quite a bit myself. It's not the best regeneration story but I think it's up there among the best.

A few things were nonsensical. Not sure how the measurements of a different police box helps the Logopolans fix the chameleon circuit. The idea of partially materializing underwater to flush out the Master's TARDIS doesn't seem that well thought out either!

But, it had some very intriguing ideas and I liked visual style. The tone was appropriapately somber. Etc. Good stuff!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 06:57 PM   #18
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Yeah, I think ultimately it was the writing that bothered me. Tegan's introduction sorta distracts from the importance of this being the Fourth Doctor's farewell, and poor Nyssa gets to have no real role other than to react to the destruction of Traken.

That said, one of the things I liked was that the E-Space trilogy occured because it was the Logopolitans that created the CVE's that led them in.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 07:39 PM   #19
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

My personal favourite is Enemy Within, but I'm voting for this as a regeneration story, not a good story in general. For me, it was a close tie between Planet of Spiders, Logopolis, and End of Time. I only saw PoS once, so I haven't really been able to see whether it is watchable over and over again, Logopolis I have seen too many times, so that leaves End of time as default.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 08:52 PM   #20
Tom
Rear Admiral

My favorite is Matt Smith's regeneration... oh wait I forgot you guys have not see that yet, im to far back in time..
Old September 24 2013, 04:25 AM   #21
diankra
Commodore

This really should be a top three, but it's got to be Androzani, so it's second or third choice that's the interesting bit. I'd be trying to pick between Logopolis, 10th Planet, War Games and Parting of the Ways, with 10th Planet probably losing out, and maybe War Games as well.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 04:41 AM   #22
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

I've always been partial to "The War Games," just because I think it's an absolutely brilliant piece of television (especially in context), and Patrick Troughton is easily my favorite Doctor.

From a filmmaking perspective, though, I have to go with "The Parting of the Ways," just because of how it so concisely establishes the regeneration conceit for new viewers and wraps a neat bow around Eccleston's tenure.

All of them are better than the 15-minute on-screen masturbation that closes "The End of Time." Jesus.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 12:10 PM   #23
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

diankra wrote: View Post
This really should be a top three, but it's got to be Androzani, so it's second or third choice that's the interesting bit. I'd be trying to pick between Logopolis, 10th Planet, War Games and Parting of the Ways, with 10th Planet probably losing out, and maybe War Games as well.
Yeah, The Caves of Androzani was an easy top choice, but I don't know what I'd pick between The War Games, Logopolis, and "The Parting of the Ways."

(I've never actually seen Planet of the Spiders. )
Old September 24 2013, 01:20 PM   #24
The Haunting
Admiral

Androzani by some distance...

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 01:33 PM   #25
Lonemagpie
Writer

Tenth Planet- pretty decent, introduces fun new enemies, but they and the Doctor are both absent for large chunks of it. Still, very striking and a strong contender.

The War Games - fun but overlong, and doesn't actually include a regeneration, cos it's off-screen.

Planet Of The Spiders- Mix of good and dire, woefully over-padded, but has some nice bits. Could have been a fantastic four-parter.

Logopolis- The first two episodes are turgid, and amazingly stupid (hell, "materialize the TARDIS underwater and open the doors") but the last two episode are great, and the regeneration really is fitting for the end of an era.

Caves Of Androzani- Easily the best regeneration story - full of doom and foreboding but without overdoing it. Great death scene for Five as well. As far as being a classic DW story overall, though, it's overrated. Great case and direction, but it is, after all, Power Of Kroll done dry.

The TVM - harmless fun, I guess, but didn't need a regeneration - there wasn't one between Troughton and Pertwee, after all - and bothering it robs us of some of the limited chance to get to know the new Doctor.

Parting of The Ways- not bad, though the regeneration feels tagged on at the last minute -for obvious reasons!

End Of Time- fun story overall, great Master story, but the actual regeneration tour itself is just stupidly overblown and has me shouting "get fucking on with it". If only he'd actually regenerated by surprise in The Stolen Earth... That would have been amazing!

So, I voted for Caves, with Tenth Planet a close second. If it was a vote for them as just "Best story" I'd have voted differently.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 02:40 PM   #26
Tom
Rear Admiral

Music wise..

End of Time (love Vale Decem)
Parting of the Ways
Caves
Logopolis
Old September 24 2013, 05:25 PM   #27
Bacl
Fleet Captain

Caves was by far the best one. I am especially sick of the New Who telling us so far in advance and then making the whole episode about the fact he's going to die/regenerate (ugh, and having him KNOW he's going to regenerate). Lame. Give us a great story, and have the doctor die at the end of it...only to come back regenerated.
Old September 24 2013, 10:16 PM   #28
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Unfortunately, I haven't seen caves of Tenth Planet yet. Shame, they seem to be the most popular ones. :P
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 01:20 AM   #29
diankra
Commodore

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Unfortunately, I haven't seen caves of Tenth Planet yet. Shame, they seem to be the most popular ones. :P
Well, the 10th Planet dvd is out three weeks on Monday... and Androzani? Never been out of the top three in any poll since it first went out !
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 03:50 AM   #30
GourdShipCapt'n
Commodore

The War Games, but only if done this way.
GourdShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote