MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 20 2014, 08:13 PM   #1
Khan 2.0
Commander

JJ not directing SW Ep8/9

Apparently the Looper guy will be taking over
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/06/2...2ea315931f6cfe

Wonder what that could mean for Trek? Could he back to direct ST4 for 2018/19 Bryan Singer style...
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 08:17 PM   #2
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Re: JJ not directing SW Ep8/9

Linky pleasey.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 10:46 PM   #3
Smellmet
Commander

Mirrors the original trilogy then. Do we even think there will be a ST4? Information is hardly easy to come by from the Bad Robot team...
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 11:22 PM   #4
Khan 2.0
Commander

if ST3 makes 500m+ I think theyd do a 4
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2014, 11:42 PM   #5
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

With a smaller budget for '3', I think '4' would be a no-brainer if it does as well financially as Into Darkness. But I'd just as soon they reboot again at that point and see another creators vision.
Old June 21 2014, 12:02 AM   #6
UFO
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
With a smaller budget for '3', I think '4' would be a no-brainer if it does as well financially as Into Darkness. But I'd just as soon they reboot again at that point and see another creators vision.
I believe you mean reboot for the first time. Which come to think about it may be impossible. I mean, how can you tell something is a "reboot" rather than simply being set in another "parallel" universe?
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 12:19 AM   #7
BillJ
Admiral

UFO wrote: View Post
I believe you mean reboot for the first time. Which come to think about it may be impossible. I mean, how can you tell something is a "reboot" rather than simply being set in another "parallel" universe?
Does it matter either way? After three films, I'll be ready to move to another creators vision of the first adventure of the Enterprise or Picard and Data on the Stargazer. After 700-hours in one continuity, I'm ready for a multitude of creators to take on Star Trek without continuity holding them back.
Old June 21 2014, 02:04 AM   #8
UFO
Captain

Does it matter either way?
What? The philosophical implications alone ...

After three films, I'll be ready to move to another creators vision of the first adventure of the Enterprise or Picard and Data on the Stargazer. After 700-hours in one continuity, I'm ready for a multitude of creators to take on Star Trek without continuity holding them back.
Well its a different way of looking at Star Trek, but I guess three movies is like having seven seasons on TV ... sort of.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 02:05 AM   #9
BillJ
Admiral

UFO wrote: View Post

Well its a different way of looking at Star Trek, but I guess three movies is like having seven seasons on TV ... sort of.
I never said anything like that. I never want to see seven seasons of Star Trek on TV again.
Old June 21 2014, 02:17 AM   #10
borgboy
Fleet Captain

I don't have a problem calling the new movies a reboot, even with the alternate reality angle.
Interesting, I hadn't thought about the possibility of ANOTHER reboot so soon. I'm really still interested in this version. I just hope whatever happens we get more Trek movies and tv shows (and that the novels continue). I worry that if the next movie doesn't do well that new Trek won't be forthcoming.
I am excited about the possibility of a reboot TNG, presumably in continuity with the Abrams movies.
Old June 21 2014, 02:19 AM   #11
Dukhat
Commodore

Agree with BillJ. I would only want five seasons at the most, and with a story arc, not that episodic formula bullshit where the ship visits a planet of the week that nobody cares about.
Old June 21 2014, 02:21 AM   #12
BillJ
Admiral

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Agree with BillJ. I would only want five seasons at the most, and with a story arc, not that episodic formula bullshit where the ship visits a planet of the week that nobody cares about.
I'm really not interested in seeing Star Trek return to television at all. There's just so much of it. I'm perfectly happy with a movie every few years and reading the occasional novel/comic.
Old June 21 2014, 02:42 AM   #13
borgboy
Fleet Captain

I'd love to have a new tv series, but I would like to see more larger story arc and less episodic format.
Old June 21 2014, 04:30 AM   #14
Poltargyst
Ensign

I thought the whole point of hiring actors so young is that they could do Star Trek for 10+ years. Why reboot after only three movies?

I'd be happy to have a new Star Trek series if it was done well. The last one ended 10 years ago, I think that's long enough.
Poltargyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 05:00 AM   #15
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

Dukhat wrote: View Post
I would only want five seasons at the most, and with a story arc, not that episodic formula bullshit where the ship visits a planet of the week that nobody cares about.
Give J. Michael Straczynski a shot.
JWPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote