Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 23 2013, 02:49 AM   #46
Gojira
Commodore

Re: My Greivences of Nutrek. What makes me a hater...

Khan444 wrote: View Post
NuSpock also is younger and less experienced. He also saw his homeworld destroyed, his species nearly wiped out, his mother fall to her death right in front of him, and his friend die right in front of him. These are all things that Nimoy Spock never experienced. Sorry, but I'm not seeing the problem with him being more emotional, especially since old Spock was never emotionless to begin with.
I agree. Spock prime was emotional at times, even more so in the movies. When I said nuSpock is more emotional it was meant as an observation and not as criticism.
Old September 23 2013, 02:52 AM   #47
Khan444
Lieutenant Commander

Gojira wrote: View Post
NuSpock also is younger and less experienced. He also saw his homeworld destroyed, his species nearly wiped out, his mother fall to her death right in front of him, and his friend die right in front of him. These are all things that Nimoy Spock never experienced. Sorry, but I'm not seeing the problem with him being more emotional, especially since old Spock was never emotionless to begin with.
I agree. Spock prime was emotional at times, even more so in the movies. When I said nuSpock is more emotional it was meant as an observation and not as criticism.
I was responding to anyone who was criticizing it, not to you specifically. Sorry for the confusion.
Khan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 03:28 AM   #48
Gojira
Commodore

Gojira wrote: View Post
I was responding to anyone who was criticizing it, not to you specifically. Sorry for the confusion.
LOL! I should have said the same thing. My postwas also a response to those who were being critical.
Old September 23 2013, 03:58 AM   #49
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Mycroft Maxwell wrote: View Post
4. Windows - F YOU MICROSOFT!!! no really Windows. If something is transparent , UV radiation definatly penetrates it. Anyone notice how the Kelvins crew was getting full lethal doses of UV radiation before Captain Robau came on the bridge to activate the "Sunglasses" shield. And its bothering me that at any given moment, the crew could be blinded by an explosion, or supernova... Not to mention all the lights on the bridge reflects off of it making it hard to see out of.
Good point. That's exactly the reason why REAL spaceships don't have windows.

[Image removed. Hotlinked from site which is not yours. - M']

5. Spock and Uhura.... Yes Uhura was flirtacious with spock in TOS, but WTF? Actually I said that out loud in the theatre before I caught my self. I have problems with a lot of characters acting out of character.
I don't think you know what "out of character" actually means.

6. Chekov - Yeah that is not Chekov...well he's Chekov, but he's not Pavel. He's Pavel's older brother...
Because Walter Koenig was twelve years old when he first appeared on Star Trek.

10. The Enterprise - whatever happened to Robert April?
Read the comics.

And wasnt the Enterprise supposed to been launched in 2245?
It was. READ THE COMICS.

And I think its not really convenient to build a star ship on the surface.
Another good point. Real space ships aren't built on the ground anyway.

[Image removed. Hotlinked from site which is not yours. - M']

11. Fencing - You do not use a Samurai sword or Katana or whatever the heck that was in fencing. YOU USE A FOIL.
Not necessarily.

Also, some of the background graphics floating around from the blu-ray release suggest (IMO, strongly) that the Federation already possesses transwarp drive in this timeline. That would seem to explain your "too fast warp" complaint nicely.

Last edited by M'Sharak; September 23 2013 at 06:47 AM. Reason: hotlinked images removed
Crazy Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 04:06 AM   #50
trevanian
Rear Admiral

^That's some pretty foolish stuff. Building the shuttle on the ground has NOTHING to do with building a starship there.

The window business is equally stupid. The orbiter is essentially operated like an aircraft, of course it has windows.

Why don't you link to a bunch of photographs of real operations centers that have got bright lights shining in the crew's eyes too, while you're at it?
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 04:16 AM   #51
Mycroft Maxwell
Lieutenant Commander

Well, of course Orbiters have windows. I mean they have to. However, its a risk. But they have no other choice. But they only orbit. They don't get near stars or stellar phenomena

No, he joined around 10 years after the date these movies occur. Some say he was born sooner in this universe. Well thats impossible. Not the same Egg, not the same Sperm. Basically this Pavel is as much Pavel, as Pavel's older brother would be. So in essence, this Chekov is Pavel's older brother that ended up being named Pavel.
Mycroft Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 04:21 AM   #52
WarpFactorZ
Captain

trevanian wrote: View Post
The window business is equally stupid. The orbiter is essentially operated like an aircraft, of course it has windows.
The orbiter is/was not subjected to the high-intensity radiation of deep space, either, since low Earth orbit is protected by the Van Allen Belt.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 04:26 AM   #53
Mycroft Maxwell
Lieutenant Commander

The orbiter is/was not subjected to the high-intensity radiation of deep space, either, since low Earth orbit is protected by the Van Allen Belt.
I always wondered whats been protecting astronauts from cosmic rays. I was thinking "Surely they don't have lead in the hull." Thanks for explaining that!!
Old September 23 2013, 04:27 AM   #54
Opus
Commodore

Yeah.

I mean, the Apollo capsules didn't have windows!

... ummmm...
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 04:27 AM   #55
Devon
Fleet Captain

I'm just trying to figure out why the OP is implying the bridge window should be any different than any other window on starships.
Old September 23 2013, 04:28 AM   #56
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

Well, of course Orbiters have windows. I mean they have to. However, its a risk. But they have no other choice. But they only orbit. They don't get near stars or stellar phenomena
So starships use transparent aluminium. After all it isn't like the Enterprise never had huge windows on it...right?

SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 04:30 AM   #57
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

No, he joined around 10 years after the date these movies occur. Some say he was born sooner in this universe. Well thats impossible. Not the same Egg, not the same Sperm. Basically this Pavel is as much Pavel, as Pavel's older brother would be. So in essence, this Chekov is Pavel's older brother that ended up being named Pavel.
It's the Future. I think Starfleet's technology is advanced enough to block all types of radiation coming through a window. Don't TOS shuttlecraft have windows? They're exposed to the same radiation as a Starship.

Walter Koenig was in Starfleet?
Old September 23 2013, 04:31 AM   #58
Khan444
Lieutenant Commander

Yes, the Enterprise having windows is nothing new.
Khan444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 04:38 AM   #59
Opus
Commodore

The Enterprise has navigational deflectors otherwise the smallest of particles in space would rip through the Enterprise' hull like bullets through a block of cheese. That doesn't exist in 21st Century tech.

The Enterprise has inertial dampers otherwise the crew would be turned into little more than chunky salsa when the ship is ordered to 1/4 impulse. That doesn't exist in 21st Century tech.

But we're supposed to be worried about... The windows?!
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 04:39 AM   #60
Mycroft Maxwell
Lieutenant Commander

Ok, you guys have really got me on my window grievance. I understand where you all are coming from. (As I earlier admitted, I feel really really stupid for not considering the other ship windows.)

But theres the problem I have that a sudden burst of light (explosion etc. ) blinding the bridge crew during a serious situation. Its hard to operate a starship's controls when everything is whited out. And if no form of radiation got through the transparent aluminum, then you would not be able to see out of it, because no light would be coming in(its a type of radiation). BUt say thats the only radiation coming through, a sudden burst of light can blind the crew, even momentarily. (Captain Robou activates the "Sunglass"...even after the crew has been staring at the close sun the few minutes it takes him to get to the bridge.) I just think that the bridge is the one place you do not want a window. (I also had a problem with the top of the bridge in TNG being a window also-so its not just a NuTrek thing)