Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 29 2013, 06:52 PM   #196
Opus
Commodore

Re: My Greivences of Nutrek. What makes me a hater...

Star Trek - Ludicrous faster-than-light speeds using magic rocks.

Totally Real!

Riiiiiiight....
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2013, 06:56 PM   #197
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

BigJake wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Then TOS should get 0 points because very little of it was actually believable
Now, Bill, you're the one moving goalposts. I said writing gets points for moving toward believability, which Trek in fact did do. If you are telling me you think TOS Trek was on the same footing in that regard as Lost in Space, then with greatest respect, I would have to question your credibility as a judge of what "believability" actually means.
Very nice that you clipped my comment mid-sentence...

You know who else had the opportunity to go from Lieutenant to Captain? Number One from "The Cage", something happens to Pike and as first officer she is the next in the line for command. You also had Lieutenant Commander Spock early in season one who was next in line for command and had never even commanded a survey mission before ("The Galileo Seven").

So what exactly is so believable about how TOS handled rank and command in comparison to the Abramsverse?
Old September 29 2013, 06:57 PM   #198
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

Opus wrote: View Post
Star Trek - Ludicrous faster-than-light speeds using magic rocks.

Totally Real!
"There's fantastical things happening, so we don't have to worry about believability" is the lamest possible defense of bad SF writing.
Old September 29 2013, 06:59 PM   #199
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

So what exactly is so believable about how TOS handled rank and command in comparison to the Abramsverse?
Sorry, were either of your examples actually promoted to the rank of Captain? And were they so from the rank of cadet? Your question answers itself.
Old September 29 2013, 06:59 PM   #200
Opus
Commodore

So is holding nuTrek to a standard that the rest of Trek was never held to, like the way military moves around personnel.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Old September 29 2013, 07:01 PM   #201
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

So is holding nuTrek to a standard that the rest of Trek was never held to
I'm not sure what you think you're accomplishing by just repeating essentially the same sentence? I already responded to this.
Old September 29 2013, 07:02 PM   #202
BillJ
Admiral

Sorry, were either of your examples actually promoted to the rank of Captain? And were they so from the rank of cadet? Your question answers itself.
Actually, rank of Lieutenant as clearly seen in an on-screen graphic (much like Saavik in The Wrath of Khan).

Since you can't or won't answer the question posed:

Starfleet is obviously comfortable with the thought of inexperienced junior officers commanding capital ships or else they wouldn't be in position to command them to begin with.
Old September 29 2013, 07:03 PM   #203
SeerSGB
Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
The Hornblower nonsense is post TOS PR bullshit.
Actually it's in the original series writer's bible. Nice try.
In reference to Robert April, not Kirk. Kirk is more in line with what the studio wanted. Gene himself said the studio was pissed cause they didn't get a western in space, and he had to revamp the show into an action and adventure series or it was done for.
Old September 29 2013, 07:05 PM   #204
Opus
Commodore

So is holding nuTrek to a standard that the rest of Trek was never held to
I'm not sure what you think you're accomplishing by just repeating essentially the same sentence? I already responded to this.
No you haven't, because you keep clipping my posts, as you do to other's posts here.

You contend that Trek has followed military protocol better in the past than nuTrek. Untrue. Military personnel would be moved in and out of all command structures for all the shows, save VOY, instead of continuing to work together as long as they did.

But you enjoy cherrypicking. That's fine.

Don't be surprised as people keep calling you on your bullshit.
Old September 29 2013, 07:05 PM   #205
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

Since you can't or won't answer the question posed
Please don't resort to distortion and dishonesty like this. I've been very clear that I am talking about relative believability. Starfleet being willing to have Lieutenants act as first officer is in no way comparable to promoting cadets to overall charge of an entire command. It's extremely clear which of these more thoroughly violates believability, and I think you're dancing around that.
Old September 29 2013, 07:07 PM   #206
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

No you haven't., because you keep clipping my posts
I'm not obligated to quote your entire post to respond to relevant parts of it. This is also a lame avoidance tactic.

SeerSGB wrote:
In reference to Robert April, not Kirk.
Quite specifically in reference to Kirk, actually. I can quote the passage for you if you like.
Old September 29 2013, 07:07 PM   #207
Opus
Commodore

Kirk was a Lt.
Old September 29 2013, 07:09 PM   #208
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

Kirk was a Lt.
In TOS? At one point in his prior career yes. In the 2009 film? I'm pretty sure he's a cadet at the start and by the end. Maybe I'm misremembering that.
Old September 29 2013, 07:11 PM   #209
BillJ
Admiral

Since you can't or won't answer the question posed
Please don't resort to distortion and dishonesty like this. I've been very clear that I am talking about relative believability. Starfleet being willing to have Lieutenants act as first officer is in no way comparable to promoting cadets to overall charge of an entire command. It's extremely clear which of these more thoroughly violates believability, and I think you're dancing around that.
It seems that you're the one dancing around the believability question because there has been more than enough evidence posted that Starfleet acts however a particular story dictates it needs it to act.

The script for The Menagerie requires that Spock get off scott-free for kidnapping, stealing a starship and going to the planet of death. I'm not sure how many real-world military would react in the same manner. Maybe you can enlighten me?
Old September 29 2013, 07:11 PM   #210
SeerSGB
Admiral

Kirk was a Lt.
In TOS? At one point in his prior career yes. In the 2009 film? I'm pretty sure he's a cadet at the start and by the end. Maybe I'm misremembering that.
You can be a Lt. and still be a cadet in Trek; we've seen it before.