To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 23 2013, 03:19 PM   #16
Kimi3013
Captain

Re: "Serentiy" on-going from Dark Horse comics

I'm game for this. I've read the Buffy and Angel books as I've picked them up and enjoyed them, no reason to not give this a go too.
Kimi3013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 06:42 PM   #17
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
but it was just basically everyone being dead, except Angel and Spike, and just a lot of stupid stuff happening. That just made me not want to check out Buffy Season 8 (and Season 9, etc) even more.
This part of your statement makes me think that you only read the pre-"After the Fall" Angel comics, which did NOT have Joss' involvement. They are NOT post-series canon. "After The Fall", which was based on Joss' plot for Angel season 6, and the comics that followed, superseded those comics and ARE part of the post-series canon. In these books, Angel and Spike are not the only survivors, in fact Gunn and Conner showed up in Angel and Faith, and Illyria is an important part of Buffy season 9.
Actually, I think I read the one you mentioned. I didn't mention Gunn because he didn't survive. He's a vampire, which is not only stupid but I don't really count as "surviving". I'm not a Conner fan, so I really didn't care if he lived or not (I don't hate him, but I just didn't care one he came back as a teenager). Illyria was an interesting plot point (Fred's death is seriously the saddest thing I've ever seen on TV or movies) but she wasn't a character that needed to continue past the end of Angel.

Also, I know there is a comic series called Angel and Faith, but I HATE Faith. She was poorly written and pointless in every appearance she made in both shows. Her debut was the worst episode of Buffy, and she continued to be horrible for a long time. After awhile she did get a bit better, I guess. She didn't ruin Buffy's finale or any of the Angel episodes she was in. She went from horribly written annoyance to annoyance I could stand if the episode was strong enough. Her appearances in the shows actually gave me an irrational hatred of Elisa Dushku until Dollhouse convinced me she's actually a pretty good actress, and Faith was just written badly. If they wrote a comic where she was killed completely pointlessly and with no heroic send off (like randomly getting killed by a mugger in a dark alley) I'd read it, because its what the character deserves. Besides that, I wouldn't pay money for something with Faith in it, and I wouldn't waste time reading it.

So, random Faith rant aside, I'm certain that what I did read was the official Angel continuation. It wasn't very good, and it was continuing from the horrible ending of that awesome show. After all of this, though, I have gotten kind of curious about Buffy season 8. I saw the first TPB on Amazon (The Long Way Home) for pretty cheap, so I ordered it. If nothing else, all 5 issues were written by Joss Whedon, so I think it will almost certainly be good, since I've really enjoyed all of his other comic work that I've read. If its really good, I might consider checking more of the Buffy continuation comics out (although I don't see myself ever returning to Angel comics, for me the show is where it ended, even with the horrible ending the comics just messed him up too much).
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 06:52 PM   #18
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Any clue when these will start to appear? I didn't get any indication from the article.
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 07:35 PM   #19
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

No release date yet and the writer is being kept a secret for now. I expect Dark Horse to fully announce this at New York Comic Con next week, if not before. This won't be out until next year sometime I'm guessing.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 03:54 AM   #20
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
but it was just basically everyone being dead, except Angel and Spike, and just a lot of stupid stuff happening. That just made me not want to check out Buffy Season 8 (and Season 9, etc) even more.
This part of your statement makes me think that you only read the pre-"After the Fall" Angel comics, which did NOT have Joss' involvement. They are NOT post-series canon. "After The Fall", which was based on Joss' plot for Angel season 6, and the comics that followed, superseded those comics and ARE part of the post-series canon. In these books, Angel and Spike are not the only survivors, in fact Gunn and Conner showed up in Angel and Faith, and Illyria is an important part of Buffy season 9.
Actually, I think I read the one you mentioned. I didn't mention Gunn because he didn't survive. He's a vampire, which is not only stupid but I don't really count as "surviving". I'm not a Conner fan, so I really didn't care if he lived or not (I don't hate him, but I just didn't care one he came back as a teenager). Illyria was an interesting plot point (Fred's death is seriously the saddest thing I've ever seen on TV or movies) but she wasn't a character that needed to continue past the end of Angel.

Also, I know there is a comic series called Angel and Faith, but I HATE Faith. She was poorly written and pointless in every appearance she made in both shows. Her debut was the worst episode of Buffy, and she continued to be horrible for a long time. After awhile she did get a bit better, I guess. She didn't ruin Buffy's finale or any of the Angel episodes she was in. She went from horribly written annoyance to annoyance I could stand if the episode was strong enough. Her appearances in the shows actually gave me an irrational hatred of Elisa Dushku until Dollhouse convinced me she's actually a pretty good actress, and Faith was just written badly. If they wrote a comic where she was killed completely pointlessly and with no heroic send off (like randomly getting killed by a mugger in a dark alley) I'd read it, because its what the character deserves. Besides that, I wouldn't pay money for something with Faith in it, and I wouldn't waste time reading it.

So, random Faith rant aside, I'm certain that what I did read was the official Angel continuation. It wasn't very good, and it was continuing from the horrible ending of that awesome show. After all of this, though, I have gotten kind of curious about Buffy season 8. I saw the first TPB on Amazon (The Long Way Home) for pretty cheap, so I ordered it. If nothing else, all 5 issues were written by Joss Whedon, so I think it will almost certainly be good, since I've really enjoyed all of his other comic work that I've read. If its really good, I might consider checking more of the Buffy continuation comics out (although I don't see myself ever returning to Angel comics, for me the show is where it ended, even with the horrible ending the comics just messed him up too much).
You're right, that was indeed "After The Fall" where Gunn became a vamp. However, the end of the season was a big reset button that took everyone back to alley at the end of S5 with their S6 memories intact. The second time around, Angel was able to save Gunn before he was turned.

I dislike reset buttons, but not resetting S6 probably would've been a bad idea.
Old October 10 2013, 09:36 AM   #21
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Despite being announced as an on-going, it seems that Serenity: Leaves on the Wind is a six-issue arc. It will be written by Zack Whedon, based on conversations with Joss about story ideas they would have pursued on the show if it had continued.

The adventures of the crew may continue beyond that, but not with Zack Whedon.

I'm in for the first arc, just because I love these characters so much and miss them, but if it continues beyond that, it will depend on who is writing and how much, if any, input Joss will have.
Old October 10 2013, 09:40 AM   #22
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I had a feeling the first arc would be handled by Zack. Oh boy. I'm really looking forward to this.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote