To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

View Poll Results: What's your first impression of iOS 7? (public poll)
Big improvement 7 25.93%
Small improvement 5 18.52%
Six of one... 9 33.33%
Step in the wrong direction 4 14.81%
Disaster 1 3.70%
Haven't used, or need more time to decide 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 7 2013, 04:28 PM   #31
Warped9
Admiral

Re: iOS 7

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
It's almost like it's an interface that was designed and built by Fisher Price.
Sigh...
Yes, perfect description.

I really haven't noticed the battery life being different although there was one day I thought my iPhone did drain more quickly than usually and I hardly used the phone that day. But it's been normal ever since. Weird.
Old October 7 2013, 04:34 PM   #32
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

You may want to try some of the usual tricks to save battery life, like turning off location services, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc., when they're not being used. If there are a lot of internal and external notification pushes happening, that can draw down the battery as well. Hi-end graphic games, particularly that use the 3D engine will suck life out especially.
Old October 7 2013, 05:20 PM   #33
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Sooner or later they'll provide the option to choose between either look as a "theme". It's inevitable.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2013, 05:29 PM   #34
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ Perhaps, since Apple seems to be taking on more and more of Microsoft's aspects - that's what MS does to placate their perpetually disenchanted user base when they've screwed up so horrifically. Apple has generally tended to force these trends, effectively saying that they know what's best for their users and that said users will eventually adjust to Apple's dictates. Despite the arrogance of such a stance, that has generally worked for Apple, since most of their architectural and design decisions have been fairly decent and valid steps forward in design philosophies...until now. The coming months will be interesting to witness how both sides will react.
Old October 7 2013, 11:08 PM   #35
RoJoHen
Awesome

My iPhone now has severe trust issues. Every time I plug it into my MacBook it asks me, "Do you trust this computer?" And even though I always click yes, the next I plug it in it asks me the same question.
Old October 8 2013, 01:29 AM   #36
Candlelight
Admiral

I voted middle of the road for a couple of reasons:

CONS:
- The GUI is very cheap looking, with some elements looking like they've been taken straight out of Android. The font is too thin; I've turned on bold text to make it better. I much preferred the GUI of iOS 6.
- The double click to get the recent/active song on the lock screen has been moved to the control centre, which is slower to get to.
- I find the swipe up to activate the camera on the lock screen is very hit and miss. Sometimes it takes ages to swipe to get it working.
- The keypad to unlock my phone sometimes doesn't accept the keystrokes despite flashing to say they have.

PROS:
- The control centre is a great system, although on my phone the swipe up to get to it sometimes doesn't work first, second, seventh time, etc.
- Progress bar slider for songs in the lock screen is something I've wanted for ages.
- More than 12 items in a folder.
- Can hide the newsstand folder!!
Old October 8 2013, 02:02 AM   #37
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

I had an iPhone 4s for almost 2 years, and then lost it 2 weeks before the new phones were announced. So, while waiting to get a new phone I went back to my 3G. It was a total nightmare . It's amazing how many changes I've become accustomed to these past two years. Needless to say, that trip back to iOS 5 has made me more appreciative of iOS 7 than I think I would have been otherwise.

I actually like most of the design elements, the colors of the icons are a bit much, but I love the imessage and text message colors. I also love the stripped down display on the phone. As for battery life, my 5s is obviously more advanced than my 4s, but I'm now able to make it through a full day with about 50% charge left, previously on a slow work day I'd have to recharge by lunch.

My biggest complaint is that I really preferred the swipe left for the search bar to the swipe up. Maybe it's just muscle memory, but why change that? What was the reason?
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 03:55 AM   #38
Captrek
Rear Admiral

IndyJones wrote: View Post
My biggest complaint is that I really preferred the swipe left for the search bar to the swipe up. Maybe it's just muscle memory, but why change that? What was the reason?
Swipe left needed a single swipe if you started from the leftmost page, but if you started from another page you needed to swipe left multiple times, or press the home button then swipe.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 05:42 PM   #39
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

How do you deactivate the automatic App updates?

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 05:48 PM   #40
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ Go to Settings >> (scroll down a bit) iTunes & App Store >> (under automatic downloads) turn off everything.

Good luck!
Old October 9 2013, 05:47 AM   #41
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Thanks!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is online now   Reply With Quote