RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,684
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 374
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old September 23 2013, 10:29 AM   #31
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: Earth Spacedock and its true purpose?

I tried to look up more information from the original production. Ken Ralston (ILM VFX supervisor) said it's basically a container for Starfleet ships which obviously refers to the top main section.

Bill George describes in the Cinefex issue for ST VI that he tried to show Earth Spacedock from a new and interesting angle and felt that ships arriving from Earth (i.e. below) should also be taken in "below", hence this shot in ST VI (notice the four 2001-Space Station V type cylinders at the bottom with rectangular hangar bays).

I think this schematic is a very good approximation, but IMHO all the areas below the "secondary docking bay" would be where the "living quarters" are. After all the panoramic windows there would give you a greater view of Earth than those in the stem section below and you got plenty, plenty of room there, too.

If Earth Spacedock is an inside-turned-out version of Cloud City from Star Wars the sphere at the bottom is most definitely a reactor as the one of Cloud City was also equally positioned down below (probably as a means of protection from possible, hazardous radiation).

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 03:11 PM   #32
Saturn0660
Rear Admiral

View Saturn0660's Twitter Profile

Oddly, I wonder what 24th century sky would look like. You can very easily see the ISS when it flies over at night. That bares the question. Just "where" is Spacedock? How high does it sit? I get the feeling the just looking into the sky just about anytime of the day and you see an eye full.. Spacedock, Earth Station McKinley and god what else. Creepy indeed.
Old September 23 2013, 07:25 PM   #33
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I doubt you would ever see all of Earth's space platforms together at the same time due to them having different orbits.
Old September 24 2013, 02:52 AM   #34
Saturn0660
Rear Admiral

View Saturn0660's Twitter Profile

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I doubt you would ever see all of Earth's space platforms together at the same time due to them having different orbits.
Well, i didn't mean all at the same time..
Old September 24 2013, 07:04 AM   #35
Albertese
Commodore

Maurice wrote: View Post
"Dock" is short for "dry dock" so calling it a "space dock" doesn't automatically mean it can't also be a dry dock.
"Dock" is not short for "drydock." A drydock is a facility where a ship's hull can be raised above the water line (or have water pumped out as per locks) to make the bottom of it easily accessible. A regular dock is simply a place to tie up a ship. A drydock is always for construction, repair, or maintenance, while the regular dock is just for day-to-day operation. (exception... back in the day, ancient Greek Triremes and the like were always hauled out of water onto a drydock to avoid fouling the wood, but that sort of thing hasn't been done in quite a while.)

Having said that, in space, the need for a drydock in the wet navy sense doesn't ... hold water (gah! I'm so sorry, I couldn't help myself!) I would suggest that Star Fleet drydocks as per TMP, TWOK, and Generations, are for the same purposes of our own drydocks today: construction and major repairs and maintenance. Spacedock, could well be just for docking in the usual sense. However, seeing as how there is no wet (and therefore, no need for dry) in space, then I don't see why you couldn't do such work in Spacedock also if that's your bag.

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
If Earth Spacedock is an inside-turned-out version of Cloud City from Star Wars the sphere at the bottom is most definitely a reactor as the one of Cloud City was also equally positioned down below (probably as a means of protection from possible, hazardous radiation).

Bob
I have no specific reason to deny that the spherical area is a reactor (I tend to think so, myself) but I would be careful identifying too many parts based on trying to find corresponding structures on Cloud City, as that is from a totally different franchise in an unrelated universe and served a very different purpose.

All my old issues of Star Trek; The Magazine are inaccessible just now... but wasn't there a spread on Spacedock in one of those? might add fuel to the fire if nothing else...

--Alex
Old September 24 2013, 08:06 AM   #36
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Albertese wrote: View Post
I have no specific reason to deny that the spherical area is a reactor (I tend to think so, myself) but I would be careful identifying too many parts based on trying to find corresponding structures on Cloud City, as that is from a totally different franchise in an unrelated universe and served a very different purpose.
I wholeheartedly agree that you shouldn't mix different franchises, but Earth Spacedock was designed and built by ILM which also designed and built many Star Wars vehicles. Given some obvious resemblances we could wonder whether they successfully "switched" from SW to ST mode.

(A drydock in space doesn't hold much water - )

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 06:17 AM   #37
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Albertese wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
"Dock" is short for "dry dock" so calling it a "space dock" doesn't automatically mean it can't also be a dry dock.
"Dock" is not short for "drydock."
It IS in certain contexts, as I quoted earlier:

dock 1 |däk|
noun
a structure extending alongshore or out from the shore into a body of water, to which boats may be moored : the gangplank was lowered to the dock.
• an enclosed area of water in a port for the loading, unloading, and repair of ships.
• ( docks) a group of such enclosed areas of water along with the wharves and buildings near them.
• short for dry dock .
• (also loading dock) a platform for loading or unloading trucks or freight trains.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote