Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 20 2013, 01:24 AM   #1
Freman
Fleet Captain

nuTrek timeline?

Where in relation to the two movies do all the comics and the video game take place? Does Countdown to Darkness take place before or after the video game?
Old September 20 2013, 02:45 AM   #2
Ketrick
Lieutenant Commander

Re: nuTrek timeline?

The quick answer is because the comics and video game aren't canon it doesn't matter. The longer answer is I believe the video game happens before Countdown to Darkness, but I could be wrong.
Ketrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 03:39 AM   #3
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Ketrick wrote: View Post
The quick answer is because the comics and video game aren't canon it doesn't matter. The longer answer is I believe the video game happens before Countdown to Darkness, but I could be wrong.
Other way around. Both the game and Countdown to Darkness lead to the Nibiru mission; however, CtD is presented as a "standard" mission, while the game is kicked off by a distress call (presumably diverting them while on the way to Nibiru from Countdown to Darkness).

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 04:47 AM   #4
Scruggernaut
Ensign

View Scruggernaut's Twitter Profile

Orci has said that the current comics are canon. Not sure about the video game though.

I make music! Check out my album Concerns
Scruggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 05:10 AM   #5
Freman
Fleet Captain

I'm pretty sure he said the game was also canon. Honestly, I don't really care. To me they are. I just want to know which order they all take place in.
Old September 20 2013, 05:14 AM   #6
Ketrick
Lieutenant Commander

ATimson wrote: View Post
Other way around. Both the game and Countdown to Darkness lead to the Nibiru mission; however, CtD is presented as a "standard" mission, while the game is kicked off by a distress call (presumably diverting them while on the way to Nibiru from Countdown to Darkness).
Okay, I was wrong. Thank you for correcting me.

Scruggernaut wrote: View Post
Orci has said that the current comics are canon. Not sure about the video game though.
He has said both the comics and the video game were canon. However, he has taken those statements back since then. As much as I wish the comics were canon, they're unfortunately not. Plus, it would probably take all the members of the Supreme Court and those above them at Paramount to make a change to canon policy not just the word of one or two people involved, even if it is Bob Orci.
Old September 20 2013, 06:56 AM   #7
Freman
Fleet Captain

Where did he say they weren't? Just curious.
Old September 20 2013, 02:36 PM   #8
Ketrick
Lieutenant Commander

He started backtracking in the comment section for the article in which he declared the tie-ins he or and any of the rest of the Supreme Court are involved in canon. It's on trekmovie.com. Check out comment #102 of "Exclusive: Orci Says Star Trek TV Talks Getting Real + Declares Movie Tie-In Comics & Game As Canon".
Old September 20 2013, 02:44 PM   #9
The Wormhole
Admiral

Orci's comment about the comics being canon comes from an infamous interview over at Trekmovie where he was essentially manipulated and goaded into calling them canon. He recanted within a day.
Old September 20 2013, 02:54 PM   #10
Ketrick
Lieutenant Commander

I would also point out that while there are shout-outs to the comics and video game in Star Trek Into Darkness, there are also things in the comics it contradicts. For instance, Sulu in STID says he had never sat in the captain's chair while in the comics, he had I believe in one of the "Vulcan's Vengeance" comics. I think it was part 2, but I could be wrong.
Old September 20 2013, 10:15 PM   #11
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

^Also, in the movie Kirk says he hasn't lost a single crewmember since taking command, wheras in the comics and videogame, casualties pile up.

As for their canonicity, I've seen video interviews where the game's makers have said it's canon - but then there's the recent comment by J.J. about how they distanced themselves from the videogame when they realized it was going to be shite. He said the game "emotionally hurt" him.

I think the end of the day, CBS are sticking with "if it's an episode or movie, it's canon"
Old September 20 2013, 10:40 PM   #12
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Scruggernaut wrote: View Post
I've never read the comics, but doesn't ID contradict the comics when it comes to Kirk losing/never losing members of his crew? Any other contradictions?
Old September 21 2013, 05:59 AM   #13
Ketrick
Lieutenant Commander

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
^Also, in the movie Kirk says he hasn't lost a single crewmember since taking command, wheras in the comics and videogame, casualties pile up.
I'm not certain the film contradicts the comics and video game on that because I took Kirk to be speaking only of the Nibiru mission. I will say, however, that I didn't understand the end of what Kirk said because he and Pike spoke at the same time so my understanding could be wrong.
Old September 21 2013, 06:12 AM   #14
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I'm not certain the film contradicts the comics and video game on that because I took Kirk to be speaking only of the Nibiru mission. I will say, however, that I didn't understand the end of what Kirk said because he and Pike spoke at the same time so my understanding could be wrong.
"You know how many crewmembers I've lost since I took the captain's chair? Not one...not one."
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 06:32 AM   #15
Ketrick
Lieutenant Commander

Tosk wrote: View Post
"You know how many crewmembers I've lost since I took the captain's chair? Not one...not one."
Well, that explains things somewhat. I only hear and understand: "You know how many crewmembers I've lost since.... Not one...not one." I take it that "...I took the captain's chair?" is the part I heard but couldn't make out. Neither the subtitles or closed captions include the "since I took the captain's chair" part. Question: How were you able to make that out? Also, if most people can't understand it, would that part still be hard canon or would it be more on the level of Jonathan Archer's personal file in "In A Mirror Darkly, Part II"?

Last edited by Ketrick; September 21 2013 at 06:58 AM.