Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Closed Thread

Old September 18 2013, 09:45 PM   #1
Michael001
Ensign

Into Darkness. Terrible!

I am 51 and have been watching Star Trek since I can remember. last night with my wife away I rented Into Darkness. To say I was disappointed would be a huge understatement, in fact it is the only Star Trek movie I have ever fallen asleep while watching. Admittedly only for a few minutes.

The first movie with this new crew was very good and set the stage for a whole new Star Trek. With this latest offering they have taken the arguably the best Start Trek movie of all time "Wrath of Khan" and bastardized it! Nothing new and a very poor adaptation of the original.

With the huge budgets and an endless story possibilities available in a never ending universe, this is the best thing they could come up with?? Reversing the characters Kirk for Spock, in one of the most memorable scenes not just in Star Trek history but in cinematic history was a travesty. I was embarrassed.

What's with senior star fleet crew not only having a relationship but openly kissing on deck? I must be getting old and presume this sort of rubbish is aimed at a newer generation. I can't believe the new Star Trek viewers are that stupid!

Character development in this movie was puerile. Again, I must be showing my age but what's with the casual relationship and interactions between the captain and his subordinate officers and crew?

I just wanted to vent and will never post another comment. I joined today just to express my disappointment to people who might understand.
Old September 18 2013, 09:50 PM   #2
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Into Darkness. Terrible!

I just wanted to vent and will never post another comment.
That's what you said last time
Old September 18 2013, 10:07 PM   #3
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Hello, Michael, I'm 33, and welcome to TrekBBS. We heard you the first time you said it was the only time, and more importantly, we heard it when it was in the right forum. Noted and logged. Have a nice day, be sure to pick up a gift basket on your way out.
3) I never know when to quit.
4)
Old September 18 2013, 10:10 PM   #4
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Michael001 wrote: View Post
I just wanted to vent and will never post another comment. I joined today just to express my disappointment to people who might understand.
Clearly you're a fan of the franchise who has been watching forever so why not stick around and discuss other aspects of Trek? Don't just hit and run. Be an active participant in the part of Trek that you do enjoy.
Old September 18 2013, 10:11 PM   #5
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Wow, you guys really know how to make the new members feel welcome.

Don't worry about it, Michael. There are some here who take it personally if you don't love NuTrek as much as they do. I guess there's a reason the word fan is derived from fanatic after all. Stick around, if you care to, the other Trek subforums can be a lot of fun.
Old September 18 2013, 10:17 PM   #6
Michael001
Ensign

Sorry, I have never been on a forum and don't know how things work. Sorry if I posted twice. Thank you.
Old September 18 2013, 10:17 PM   #7
Michael001
Ensign

Sorry, I have never been on a forum and don't know how things work. Sorry if I posted twice. Thank you.
Old September 18 2013, 10:24 PM   #8
Flake
Commodore

Star Trek has to change though doesn't it. It cannot stay the same forever, it must adapt to survive. That being said, a hollywood tentpole movie with a massive budget needs to appeal to certain cinemagoing demographics and the mass market and rigidly adhering to what has come before may be a bit of a turn off to aforementioned demos and masses. This movie and the reboot is designed from the ground up for that 'model' and it is what it is. (a breath of fresh air for the franchise imho)

It is this change that is a turn off to some fans imo because they don't like the change. They want same old familiar Trek.

I believe you could use these same actors & sets in a TV show and in that medium the stories & feel etc would be much more in keeping with the old TV shows.
Old September 18 2013, 10:27 PM   #9
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Uh, R. Star, no one's complaining that he didn't like the movie. They're complaining that he announced in his first (very negative) post that he will never post again, and then he re-posted the same message -- including the obviously no longer accurate statement that he will never post again -- here. That doesn't exactly encourage warm welcomes.
Old September 18 2013, 10:29 PM   #10
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I loved STID. I liked it better than STXI, in fact.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old September 18 2013, 10:35 PM   #11
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
Uh, R. Star, no one's complaining that he didn't like the movie. They're complaining that he announced in his first (very negative) post that he will never post again, and then he re-posted the same message -- including the obviously no longer accurate statement that he will never post again -- here. That doesn't exactly encourage warm welcomes.
This.
3) I never know when to quit.
4)
Old September 18 2013, 10:35 PM   #12
Michael001
Ensign

Again. Sorry I posted twice. I couldn't find the first one and not knowing forums didn't think it worked so I started again.

Thank you for the feedback though.
Old September 18 2013, 10:47 PM   #13
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
So I guess negativity begets more negativity? Even justifies it? Possibly true to some, but I don't call encouraging it a good thing. We were all new posters at one point and don't deserve to have our heads bitten off our first few posts.
Old September 18 2013, 10:57 PM   #14
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I think it's the whole "I am doing a drive by, kthxbye" deal that people react to.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 18 2013, 10:59 PM   #15
R. Star
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
I think it's the whole "I am doing a drive by, kthxbye" deal that people react to.
Could be, though if that's the logic it's silly. If you think someone is trolling, all you're doing by responding is giving them something to react to.

Then again I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt.