Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old September 22 2013, 02:43 AM   #31
t_smitts
Commander

Re: was NX01 ever referred to as 'The' Enterprise?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
t_smitts wrote: View Post
Pavonis wrote: View Post

So? Do you say you're going to "the Chicago", or visiting "the London"? Those aren't people either, but they're proper nouns. Is it that hard to grasp?
Actually there are some cities, towns, and locations that start with "the", i.e. The Hague.
Sounds more like a local thing.
Well, on a larger scale, you have the Philippines, the Congo, the Netherlands, and... oh yeah: The United States of America.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 02:49 AM   #32
Pavonis
Commodore

Since there are odd and unnecessary exceptions, then the rule doesn't exist or is pointless?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 02:50 AM   #33
Christopher
Writer

One more time: TOS's usage was either wrong to begin with, or an outdated usage that's no longer valid. Either way, it's not something to cling to. The correct naval practice, at least in US usage, is not to use the definite article except before "USS." It can be "the USS Enterprise," but it should not be "the Enterprise."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 04:17 AM   #34
mickmike
Lieutenant Commander

Voyager was rarely if ever referred to as 'The Voyager' and if it was it was generally by the guest aliens of the week. The crew always called it 'Voyager' which I thought really personalised the Ship and made it more of a character and entity in it's own right.
mickmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 05:35 AM   #35
nightwind1
Commodore

jedbates wrote: View Post
Hello, new here, even if the writers went out of there way with the referrals to enterprise or the enterprise name when you are assigned to a posting; as in my case Fort Bragg after awhile you tend to call it Bragg. Same thing with ships IE USCGC Spencer we called it Spencer after being there a few cruises. and other names..........
Are you a fellow post-Coastie?

nightwind1
USCG 1988-1993, PO3, USCGC Sundew WLB-404

Which, by the way, we sometimes called Sundew, and sometimes caller her the Sundew.

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 07:51 PM   #36
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post

So? Do you say you're going to "the Chicago", or visiting "the London"? Those aren't people either, but they're proper nouns. Is it that hard to grasp?
Is it hard for you to grasp that many will address ships differently than people?
It's hard for me to grasp the idea that people will randomly change the rules of language when referring to ships but not people, places, or other things.
That's life. People will do things that you don't understand or don't like.
Is there something special about ships, particularly named Enterprise, that makes it hard to not say "the" when referring to it by name?
Nope, it's just a common practice by some people and not by others. For many, it was likely something they were taught to do in grade school (the Titanic, the Arizona, the Bounty, the Minnow, etc.).
Old September 22 2013, 08:04 PM   #37
Pavonis
Commodore

People do things I don't like all the time, that's true. But this isn't a case of things I don't like. It's a case of just being plain wrong. When the are just plain wrong, I correct them. Making mistakes out of "habit" or "ignorance" is one thing. Continuing to do make the same "mistake" after being shown why and how they're incorrect just shows they're being stubborn and willfully ignorant.
Old September 22 2013, 08:54 PM   #38
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

People do things I don't like all the time, that's true. But this isn't a case of things I don't like. It's a case of just being plain wrong.
Not to the people who prefer to place "the" before every ship name. It's not wrong to them, nor to the novelists, reporters, writers and just everyday people who continue the practice. It really does come down to it being a custom that some (or even most) people follow, but others don't. You may think it just plain wrong, but that's how people always feel about customs they don't observe or don't like.
Old September 22 2013, 09:55 PM   #39
Pavonis
Commodore

Perpetuating mistakes doesn't mean they're not mistakes. Calling it a custom doesn't mean it's not a mistake. If you want to be contrary, fine, but don't expect people to stop correcting your mistakes either.
Old September 22 2013, 10:33 PM   #40
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Perpetuating mistakes doesn't mean they're not mistakes. Calling it a custom doesn't mean it's not a mistake. If you want to be contrary, fine, but don't expect people to stop correcting your mistakes either.
No, it really is just a different custom, a different form of address used by most of the population. Despite what you say, it's not a mistake to them to address ships like that.

It really isn't anything to get very upset about.
Old September 22 2013, 11:45 PM   #41
Pavonis
Commodore

Who's upset? You're wrong, and I'm correcting you, that's all. And I'll keep correcting you until you say "Enterprise", and not "the Enterprise".
Old September 23 2013, 12:33 AM   #42
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Who's upset?
You are. Otherwise, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
You're wrong, and I'm correcting you, that's all.
No, I'm correcting you. It's not wrong. It's just not what some people would do. That's all.
And I'll keep correcting you until you say "Enterprise", and not "the Enterprise".
Eternity is a long time for you to be correcting nothing...
Old September 23 2013, 02:13 AM   #43
Pavonis
Commodore

So, you don't correct people who are wrong? You just let them be wrong? If someone said 2+2=5, then that's just their custom?? How can you be so apathetic about mistakes? Do you not care about people?
Old September 23 2013, 04:04 AM   #44
Christopher
Writer

Okay, this is getting circular. Can we move on?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 05:17 AM   #45
Pavonis
Commodore

What's to move on from? The OP's question was answered. The fact that C.E. Evans wants to say people have the right to make mistakes and call them "customs" is intriguing, and I was hoping to follow up on it.

So, why the Enterprise and sometimes the Defiant, but only once (that I recall) the Voyager? DS9 was usually just "the station", which makes sense, because it's one of many and the characters were referencing the station that was of primary interest to them. But would it ever be called the Deep Space 9? Why or why not? Is Enterprise a special name that demands the specific article? Why not just an Enterprise? There were many of them, after all. Why would all of them be the Enterprise? Wouldn't that be confusing?

Maybe the Enterprise is just Kirk's ship?