RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Members: 24,631
Currently online: 410
Newest member: vicky013

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 19 2013, 03:16 PM   #31
CaptPapa
Commander

Re: Favourite Trek Couple

I didn't care for the Spock/Leila romance . . . it didn't seem quite right and I can't put my finger on it at the moment. Perhaps the chemistry was just off - something.
On the other hand, Spock and the Romulan Commander from The Enterprise Incident was excellent - believable and well done.

Spock and Zarabeth (noted by Mr. C above) was also excellent; and of course led to the Treklit romance of Zar and the Lady Wynn, which was totally hot!
Old September 19 2013, 03:51 PM   #32
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

Leonard McCoy and Tonia Barrows.

And I wanna be there the first time he parades her past his ex-wife.
Old September 19 2013, 04:48 PM   #33
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Jonas Grumby wrote: View Post
Leonard McCoy and Tonia Barrows.
Yeah, even though that was more of a flirtation than a romance, and was just a one-off thing, they made a nice couple, which I would've liked to have seen more of. Much more convincing than, say, McCoy and the High Priestess in "For the World is Hollow . . . ."

TOS's one-shot romances are a mixed bag. Some work: Edith Keeler, Zarabeth, Miramanee, the Romulan Commander, etc. But some feel forced and unconvincing: the robot chick in "Requiem for Methuselah," Shahna in "Gamesters," Spock and the patrician daughter in "The Cloud Minders," both of Scotty's romances . . . .

I used to find Leila Kalomi kinda boring, but she's growing on me. It's not the best romance in TOS, but they do sell the poignancy of it.
Old September 19 2013, 04:56 PM   #34
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Sarek and Amanda.

And the epic bro-mance of Bashir and O'Brien.
Old September 19 2013, 05:20 PM   #35
IzzyAtWarp9
Commander

Wow where did 3 pages of posts come from overnight?!

Did anyone else think The Arsenal of Freedom was a missed Picard/Beverly opportunity? I mean, great episode, still love it, but that could have been amazing.
Old September 19 2013, 05:35 PM   #36
garaks the best
Lieutenant

My top five couples are

Trip/Tpol
Kira/Odo
Sisko/Kassidy
Jadzia/worf
Rom/Leeta
garaks the best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 05:40 PM   #37
Whoa Nellie
Fleet Captain

Far and away my favorite Star Trek Couple is Picard and Vash. I've always seen the Picard/Vash relationship as an homage to the great romantic film pairings of the 40's. Vash is Bacall to Picard's Bogart. The very compelling 'battle of wills' dynamic to the Picard/Vash relationship is reminiscent of Bogart and Bacall in the classic movie "To Have and Have Not." The Vash character is an explorer with an expertise in archaeology, an adventurer, a female Indiana Jones. In the episodes where she appears, this beautiful brunette, with her beguiling smile and blue eyes, manages to charm not only the good captain of the Enterprise but the omnipotent Q as well. Vash's brazenness complements Picard's more sedate personality perfectly. She is the ideal foil for Picard's straight man. The characterizations and relationship dynamics between Picard and Vash makes this pairing a pure joy to watch.

Warmest Wishes,
Whoa Nellie
Old September 19 2013, 06:21 PM   #38
Kytee
Commander

For me I'd have to say Odo/Kira. I loved watching that one unfold
Trip/TPol worked for me as well.
Worf/K'Ehylr is one I forgot about until this thread , I liked there time together.

Honorable mention goes to Garak/Ziyal, I liked there scenes together and felt the tragic ending was well done. I know it could never had worked due to their age differences ; but it was interesting to watch ( Maybe because I'm such a Garak fan )

I only read a few of the DS9 novels but I liked the Quark/Ro relationship as it was written.,

Kytee
Kytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 06:43 PM   #39
oddsigve
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hard to pick one, but if i had to I would probably pick Worf and K'Ehleyr(Yes, I had to turn to imdb to get the spelling right). I`m not quite sure why though. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the Jadzia/worf relationship tried to simulate what they had. Worf being Worf and both Jadzia and K'Ehleyr having many of the same attributes.

Edit: after reading some of the other comments here I see I`m not alone in the Worf/K'Ehleyr suggestion.
oddsigve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 06:50 PM   #40
oddsigve
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hard to pick one, but if i had to I would probably pick Worf and K'Ehleyr(Yes, I had to turn to imdb to get the spelling right). I`m not quite sure why though. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the Jadzia/worf relationship tried to simulate what they had. Worf being Worf and both Jadzia and K'Ehleyr having many of the same attributes.
oddsigve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 06:56 PM   #41
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I dunno, Vash and Picard never seemed a good fit to me. She's too loose and wild for the calm and refined Picard. It did show as well as much as they argued in the two episodes they were together in.

Vash was an interesting character and a nice change of pace from the "do no wrong" Roddenberry humans, it's just too bad she only appeared in bad episodes.
Old September 19 2013, 08:25 PM   #42
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

Worf and KE'hleyr-only because of the scene at the end of The Emissary where Worf says he wouldn't be complete without her--the background music makes it work.

Riker and Troi had that closeness to each other, but according to the story, before the Enterprise, they were together and getting serious, but Riker decided to pursue his career and they parted.

He sleeps with all types of women, but kind of looks gloomy and eyes Troi whenever she gets close to someone. Nah..
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 08:59 PM   #43
KaraBear
Captain

Nightdiamond wrote: View Post
Worf and KE'hleyr-only because of the scene at the end of The Emissary where Worf says he wouldn't be complete without her--the background music makes it work.

Riker and Troi had that closeness to each other, but according to the story, before the Enterprise, they were together and getting serious, but Riker decided to pursue his career and they parted.

He sleeps with all types of women, but kind of looks gloomy and eyes Troi whenever she gets close to someone. Nah..
that was somethign I always though was odd, and if I was Troi I'd be really pissed at Riker for. He broke up with her because his career was the most important thing to him. But then he turns down how many oportunities for advancement, so he broke up with her and then didn't persue his career, I'd be pissed at that
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 12:26 AM   #44
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

CaptPapa wrote: View Post
I didn't care for the Spock/Leila romance . . . it didn't seem quite right and I can't put my finger on it at the moment. Perhaps the chemistry was just off - something.
He was drugged, he wanted her because she was a woman. That was the entire chemistry.

R. Star wrote: View Post
I dunno, Vash and Picard never seemed a good fit to me. She's too loose and wild for the calm and refined Picard.
That's just what he needed for a fling, someone exciting.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 12:46 AM   #45
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

I guess I am alone in this but I didn't care for Spock/Zarabeth at all. They didn't come off as a good match up to me and I didn't see any reason for them to fall in love except for the fact that Zarabeth was lonely & she was beautiful. The only think they I like about All Our Yesterdays is all the Spock/McCoy. In fact I wish they had written Zarabeth out of the episode and it could have just been Spock/McCoy (sigh).

Now I admit Spock/Leila doesn't make a lot of sense to me either but what I like about the romance was the ambiguity of it. Not so much did Spock really love Leila but did feelings of love only come from the Spores or was there something deep within Spock who wanted to be able to feel the emotion of love. For me it was a much better one off romance than Spock/Zarabeth.

Spock/The Romulan Commander was the best for me. I love how she was clearly intelligent and capable and was a good match for Spock. Granted she was being tricked by him, but what Spock said to her at the end was great:

"Military secrets are the most fleeting of all. I hope that you and I exchanged something more permanent."
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote