Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old December 1 2013, 04:59 PM   #196
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Re: Favourite Trek Couple

That is one of those things where I wonder what they were thinking? It's hard to believe no one considered the implication of Kirk, even in a female body, holding hands with Spock. I mean, they are still the same people, and Vulcans aren't really known for being physically demonstrative.
It is true that simple things like even two men holding hands is shocking and taboo in our culture even now. It's nice to think that it won't be the case in the future. With homophobia wiped out in the 23rd century it hopefully wouldn't matter to anyone if they did hold hands. It's not something we see thru any of the franchise that I remember though, casual male intimacy. For that matter, it's not like Spock went around holding Uhura's hand either. That kind of close physical contact isn't something you get with Spock.
Old December 1 2013, 09:50 PM   #197
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

borgboy wrote: View Post
For that matter, it's not like Spock went around holding Uhura's hand either.
They just hook-up in the turbo lifts.

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2013, 09:58 PM   #198
borgboy
Fleet Captain

I have a hard time picturing that happening in TOS, but I wouldn't have hated it.
Old December 2 2013, 01:47 PM   #199
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

That is one of those things where I wonder what they were thinking? It's hard to believe no one considered the implication of Kirk, even in a female body, holding hands with Spock. I mean, they are still the same people, and Vulcans aren't really known for being physically demonstrative.
It is true that simple things like even two men holding hands is shocking and taboo in our culture even now. It's nice to think that it won't be the case in the future. With homophobia wiped out in the 23rd century it hopefully wouldn't matter to anyone if they did hold hands. It's not something we see thru any of the franchise that I remember though, casual male intimacy. For that matter, it's not like Spock went around holding Uhura's hand either. That kind of close physical contact isn't something you get with Spock.

holding both his hands
Personally, I hate this fanon thing that just because the vulcans are touch telepaths then they can't touch people without it having some second meaning.
If that was true, then you'd see them wearing gloves all the time...
I mean you understand why they might not like physical touch especially with strangers but he does touch people.
You do also have a scene where him and Kirk hold hands (a pretty iconic one too)
there are also some gestures that in 'the vulcan code' might have a cultural meaning, example the brothers hand gesture:

Of course, like in the example with femaleKirk, it's never random.
In that case I see him instinctively reaching for the girl in a male-protectiveness stereotype manner ("women needs to be protected by men"). You also see it in the way he reaches for Uhura or grabs her when he wants to help her. You don't see him doing that with his male friends. It's interesting to think that he perceives Kirk with that stereotype about women, so to speak, only because he has the body of a woman (and so he's being chivalrous)
Old December 2 2013, 02:05 PM   #200
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Yeah, it's an interesting idea, but I don't know if I buy that Spock would really treat Kirk differently just because of his body. It does make him seem very old fashioned and chivalrous. Maybe Spock is more of those things that I normally would think of. I do see what you mean about Spock showing protectiveness towards Uhura and other women at times.
Old December 3 2013, 03:29 AM   #201
PicardSpeedo
Lieutenant Commander

IzzyAtWarp9 wrote: View Post
OK this may be a slightly trashy thread but I find it interesting!

Who's your favourite Trek couple? Whether it's married, one-time thing or just a fan invented couple.

My fave real pairing has to be Troi and Riker. Their wedding was just soooo cute. Also loved Jadzia and Worf. Also, not really a couple, but the Garak-Bashir flirting was just priceless
I thought Geordi and Data were an adorable couple. I never understood why they didn't hook up with each other, especially given Geordi's atrocious track record with women.
PicardSpeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2013, 04:53 AM   #202
borgboy
Fleet Captain

There's definitely slash potential for Geordie and Data. I always thought the whole thing with Geordie always doing repair work on Data could be read as very intimate. Sure, it's more like a medical exam, but still. They'd make a really cute couple, there only shortcoming is Geordie's so nice and uncomplicated, there's not much room for drama there, at least not just with the two of them. They don't have the crazy spark of Spock and Kirk, they already feel like a sweet old married couple.
Old December 3 2013, 09:38 AM   #203
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain

View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile

Malaika wrote: View Post

holding both his hands
Personally, I hate this fanon thing that just because the vulcans are touch telepaths then they can't touch people without it having some second meaning.
If that was true, then you'd see them wearing gloves all the time...
I mean you understand why they might not like physical touch especially with strangers but he does touch people.
You do also have a scene where him and Kirk hold hands (a pretty iconic one too)
there are also some gestures that in 'the vulcan code' might have a cultural meaning, example the brothers hand gesture:

Of course, like in the example with femaleKirk, it's never random.
In that case I see him instinctively reaching for the girl in a male-protectiveness stereotype manner ("women needs to be protected by men"). You also see it in the way he reaches for Uhura or grabs her when he wants to help her. You don't see him doing that with his male friends. It's interesting to think that he perceives Kirk with that stereotype about women, so to speak, only because he has the body of a woman (and so he's being chivalrous)
I agree the Spock Kirk/Lester interaction in the brig is not how I expect Spock would normally treat Kirk. Spock was very protective and sat very close to Kirk/Lester in the brig. Maybe thats how Spock would act towards Kirk if he were a woman.
Though thats not how Tuvok acts towards Janeway. He wouldn't dream of entering her personal space.
SantaSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2013, 01:47 PM   #204
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Tuvok's not in love with Janeway though :P
Old December 8 2013, 03:01 PM   #205
Lucky
Commander

I loved Trip/T'Pol. I'm also a fan of Riker/Troi. I guess I love Kirk/Edith as well.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 07:23 PM   #206
PicardSpeedo
Lieutenant Commander

Bashir and O'Brien are my favorite Trek couple, right behind Data and Geordi.
Old December 9 2013, 08:33 PM   #207
borgboy
Fleet Captain

PicardSpeedo wrote: View Post
I support those choices.
Julian seemed like he'd make Miles a lot happier than Kieko ever did.
Old December 9 2013, 09:46 PM   #208
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

Lucky wrote: View Post
I guess I love Kirk/Edith as well.
She would have made Kirk go on a diet, I think.

Or, to rephrase: He can't have his cake and Edith too.
Old December 9 2013, 10:20 PM   #209
PicardSpeedo
Lieutenant Commander

PicardSpeedo wrote: View Post
I support those choices.
Julian seemed like he'd make Miles a lot happier than Kieko ever did.
Keiko was deranged. I kept waiting for her to finally transform into a pah-wraith and spontaneously combust, but sadly, that never happened. It would have explained so much about her personality.
Old December 9 2013, 11:53 PM   #210
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Keiko was not deranged. She was a botanist stuck on a space station married to pleasant enough man who preferred playing games with his boy friend to spending time with her. She was also a civilian raising a child in what rapidly became a war zone, and the only reason she was in that war zone was her husband's job. Unlike a lot of Trek folk she exhibited the same stress you or I would have in that situation.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote