Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate The Crimson Shadow.
Outstanding 70 67.96%
Above Average 27 26.21%
Average 4 3.88%
Below Average 2 1.94%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 27 2013, 12:55 PM   #76
flavaflav
Commander

Re: TF: The Crimson Shadow by Una McCormack - Review Thread (Spoilers!

Outstanding

This book was vastly superior in every way imaginable to 'Revelation and Dust'. It really made that book look like amateur crap.

The characterization was dead on for the most part. I was happy I could hear each of the characters voices in my head as I was reading. It was also an easy read and it's the fastest I've every read a book of that length. Not overly wordy, it got to the point and moved at a nice pace. 'Revelation' didn't do that at all. It was choppy because DRG seemed to discover some new words and had to cram them in the first few chapters like he usually seems to do, which when added to the pointless wordiness, kills momentum. There's no fun reading his books, it seems like a chore. Una doesn't have that problem at all.

I felt like I got a punch to the stomach when Garak's car exploded. But then I thought to myself "he's blown up his own shop before, everything is gonna be okay... I hope". His return gave me a big shit eating grin and vocally exclaimed "fuck yeah!"

I like how the book ended with Julien's letter. The whole book I'm thinking Julien was a lazy sob never writing back. I guess he was a bit busy.

I'm not convinced the True Way is solely responsible for Bacco's death. I think this will end up being a Federation inside job a la Babylon 5. I don't trust the new Pres at all and get a President Clark vibe. I really hope I'm wrong on that and it goes a different way.

The only negative i can really think of is how Worf was handled. I wish he had a few more lines. it seemed like he said maybe 5 words the entire book and was there to take up space.

In the end, this book has got me more interested in 'The Fall' books. I hope the next installment keeps up the fun and pace.
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 01:04 PM   #77
flavaflav
Commander

Mimi wrote: View Post
Its a book that benefits a lot from having read A Stitch in Time, so if for some reason you haven't, you might want to look that up first. I really look forward to seeing where they go next! More Cardassian stories!
yes yes! I was thinking the same thing. When taking into account both books, along with the DS9 series, Garak's overall arc, especially where he winds up at the end of the book, is fantastic.
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 01:06 PM   #78
Csalem
Commodore

Finished and really enjoyed it. I love Una McCormack's world-building and really felt like I was on Cardassia. It was also good not having the Enterprise at the centre if the story - it was almost like we got to see the ship from the point of view of the ordinary people who get caught up in the Enterprise's adventures.
Old September 27 2013, 05:06 PM   #79
Masiral
Captain

flavaflav wrote: View Post
I felt like I got a punch to the stomach when Garak's car exploded. But then I thought to myself "he's blown up his own shop before, everything is gonna be okay... I hope". His return gave me a big shit eating grin and vocally exclaimed "fuck yeah!"
I was actually convinced for a couple of pages that Garak was actually dead - and then he stepped out of the shadows! That was pretty awesome!
Masiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 06:04 PM   #80
Kertrats47
Commodore

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

Masiral wrote: View Post
I was actually convinced for a couple of pages that Garak was actually dead - and then he stepped out of the shadows! That was pretty awesome!
Me too. I was SO CLOSE to having a "throw-the-book-across-the-room" incident! I honestly think I was in a little bit of shock when that happened.
Old September 27 2013, 06:35 PM   #81
Reanok
Commodore

I'm glad to hear this novel is more about Garak and Cardassia and not entirely focused on the Enterprise crew.I was hoping to have a story focused on Garak and investigating what happened to Nan Bacco with the True way.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 06:37 PM   #82
Nob Akimoto
Captain

View Nob Akimoto's Twitter Profile

Great book, do wish we could have an audio book version with Sir Patrick and Andrew Robinson exchanging lines. That would be the only thing that could make it better.
Nob Akimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 07:33 PM   #83
Mimi
Lieutenant Commander

Reanok wrote: View Post
I was hoping to have a story focused on Garak and investigating what happened to Nan Bacco with the True way.

That is pretty much the story! Which does make the cover somewhat misleading. I hope the cross cult cover will be better. Picard and company do have a role to play, but its Garak's book.

I don't even think they are on the enterprise for more than a couple of pages. The rest of it is Cardassia.
Mimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 07:51 PM   #84
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

This was GREAT. I'm on a trip and don't have time for a long post, perhaps later, but goddamn this was fantastic. McCormack's best yet.
Old September 27 2013, 08:07 PM   #85
Relayer1
Commodore

Thrawn wrote: View Post
This was GREAT. I'm on a trip and don't have time for a long post, perhaps later, but goddamn this was fantastic. McCormack's best yet.
Better than Never Ending Sacrifice ?
Old September 27 2013, 10:39 PM   #86
E-DUB
Captain

I'm about two thirds through and am enjoying it very much. Una does Cardassia like Keith does Klingons.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 06:47 AM   #87
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile

The Never Ending Sacrifice is much more of a self-contained novel than The Crimson Shadow, largely because it describes events considerably more peripheral to the novelverse than those in McCormack's Fall novel. Both are equally satisfying, in the end.
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 06:55 AM   #88
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile

I'm not convinced the True Way is solely responsible for Bacco's death. I think this will end up being a Federation inside job a la Babylon 5. I don't trust the new Pres at all and get a President Clark vibe. I really hope I'm wrong on that and it goes a different way.
I don't get that. Ishan was originally unsympathetic to the Cardassians, but that lack of sympathy was both explicable by his personal history with the Cardassians and eventually mitigated (removing the clauses on Cardassian military spending). There's no evidence in TMS of Ishan doing anything outrageous like setting up paramilitaries under his control or bombing rebellious colony worlds or anything like that.

The novels of Swallow and Mack do seem to hint at things going awry in the Federation, but we don't know what these things are or the extent to which Ishan is involved.

The only negative i can really think of is how Worf was handled. I wish he had a few more lines. it seemed like he said maybe 5 words the entire book and was there to take up space.
The whole matter of the Klingons generally deserves development. The expansion of the Typhon Pact is explicable at least as much by fear of the Klingons--the main feeling driving Gorn and Kinshaya membership, apparently--as by fear of the Federation, while the idea of being in an alliance with the Klingons was strongly offputting to many Cardassians. There's obvious room for improvement, I think, in the behaviour of the Klingon Empire towards its neighbours: a less aggressive Klingon Empire wouldn't be nearly as polarizing.
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 07:58 AM   #89
Mage
Commodore

Oh man, it's getting so hard to avoid this thread. Managed to not read anything posted by anyone so far. Should have this tuesday.
Old September 28 2013, 02:06 PM   #90
TheUsualSuspect
Lieutenant

Don't have much to say that hasn't already been said. I really enjoyed the focus on Garak and Cardassia in this book.

As for the overall series, I'm wondering if the remaining three books are going to focus on other aspects of the fallout of the assassination. Maybe the overall story is larger than just that one event and its resolution, but also brings in other crises which relate to the assassination but have their own stories to tell.

Whatever happens, I'm definitely looking forward to the rest of the series!
TheUsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote