Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 27 2013, 10:19 PM   #196
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Is the USS Vengeance more powerful than the Enterprise E?

Abrams did his research - he watched all the original episodes and classic movies and even read some Trek novels before ST'09. He also has hardcore Trekkie Bob Orci as producer and co-writer.

Perhaps you're probably thinking of Stewart Baird, who supposedly never saw a single TNG episode prior to directing Nemesis?
Old October 27 2013, 11:05 PM   #197
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Mycroft Maxwell wrote: View Post
^Which is more BS specs the producers did to uber their unrealistic crapfest of technology.
How do you get to decide what's BS or not ?
Old October 27 2013, 11:28 PM   #198
Mycroft Maxwell
Lieutenant Commander

Perhaps you're probably thinking of Stewart Baird, who supposedly never saw a single TNG episode prior to directing Nemesis?
I actually hate that guy more than I do anyone at Bad Robot. I keep wondering what all he cut out of the James Bond films being an editor and all. Watch the Nemesis dvd commentary, and count how many times that guy ways the word "Dark".

Still off topic. Um The Enterprise E has more security personel. Punch a hole in the shields take out the skeleton crew BAM, Ent-E wins.
Mycroft Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2013, 11:37 PM   #199
Captain Jed R.
Lieutenant Commander

I actually hate that guy more than I do anyone at Bad Robot. I keep wondering what all he cut out of the James Bond films being an editor and all. Watch the Nemesis dvd commentary, and count how many times that guy ways the word "Dark".

Still off topic. Um The Enterprise E has more security personel. Punch a hole in the shields take out the skeleton crew BAM, Ent-E wins.
Don't even need to send a security team. Just Worf and Data. Besides, Vengeance is Abramsverse and if one thing has been shown, Abramsverse shields are appalling.

EDIT: That last comment was facetious. Still no way to compare properly.

Wibble.
Captain Jed R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 10:33 PM   #200
Mycroft Maxwell
Lieutenant Commander

Oh yeah, I forgot about Abramsverse shields never working. Shields didn't really start working til the 24th century anyway. So yeah, Ent-E wins hands down. But probably take a lot of ammo, because it seems that there's nothing volatile enough on the whole damn ship to blow it up. (Seriously guys, 72 photon torpedoes detonating on the inside (INSIDE NO ARMOR) , at the engineering section should have blown that ship straight to Hell. No Warp core? No antimatter pods? No other torpedoes to detonate? )
Old October 28 2013, 11:54 PM   #201
R. Star
Rear Admiral

There is no more powerful force in the Trek universe than the power of the plot convenience.
Old October 29 2013, 04:39 PM   #202
Admiral

Oh yeah, I forgot about Abramsverse shields never working. Shields didn't really start working til the 24th century anyway. So yeah, Ent-E wins hands down. But probably take a lot of ammo, because it seems that there's nothing volatile enough on the whole damn ship to blow it up. (Seriously guys, 72 photon torpedoes detonating on the inside (INSIDE NO ARMOR) , at the engineering section should have blown that ship straight to Hell. No Warp core? No antimatter pods? No other torpedoes to detonate? )
Sounds like more proof that the Vengeance is a lot tougher than the Enterprise-E to me.
Old October 29 2013, 08:09 PM   #203
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Sounds like more proof that the Vengeance is a lot tougher than the Enterprise-E to me.
Considering one standard photon in their universe was enough to completely destroy a Klingon battleship by direct attack outside the hull, 72 super torpedoes blowing up next to engineering simply inconveniencing Vengeance shows how tough she is.
Old October 29 2013, 09:39 PM   #204
NeedleOfInquiry
Lieutenant Junior Grade

[QUOTE=Mycroft Maxwell;8820973]

The superior automation of the USS Vengeance allows it to be operated by a skeleton crew, but that does not mean that it's limited to a skeleton crew. The Vengeance could probably carry 10,000 MACOs, and their equipment, if necessary.

Also, when you think about it, the automation of The Vengeance is extremely impressive. USS Voyager, a 350 meter long ship, needed a minimum crew of 100 to operate. The Vengeance, a 1450 meter long ship, only needs 1.
NeedleOfInquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 02:31 PM   #205
Admiral

Bok rigged the 80-year-old (2280's) USS Stargazer to work entirely under Picard's voice direction in "The Battle"

Talking of computers, preliminary plans for the Vengeance bridge set says that flickering purple thing behind the captain's chair is the ship's advanced tactical "brain"
Old October 30 2013, 03:55 PM   #206
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Bok rigged the 80-year-old (2280's) USS Stargazer to work entirely under Picard's voice direction in "The Battle"

Talking of computers, preliminary plans for the Vengeance bridge set says that flickering purple thing behind the captain's chair is the ship's advanced tactical "brain"
Yup, if GATT's neural hub can communicate with the entire Enterprise computer in real time, a fully automated device built specifically to coordinate the Vengeance systems could work too.

But as I keep saying, Vengeance's automation center looked massive, decks tall and very dense.
Old October 30 2013, 07:22 PM   #207
NeedleOfInquiry
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Chrysalis wrote: View Post

Yup, if GATT's neural hub can communicate with the entire Enterprise computer in real time, a fully automated device built specifically to coordinate the Vengeance systems could work too.

But as I keep saying, Vengeance's automation center looked massive, decks tall and very dense.
True. It makes me wonder, with all of those computers, how much space was left for the crew? How many people could The Vengeance acctually carry? I still believe the number is around 10K, but it's hard to be sure.
NeedleOfInquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2013, 08:17 PM   #208
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

A lot of the bulk here and there could have been barracks for troop transport, sections devoted to specific work crews, extra engineers for when they were needed etc.

The bays seem to be multipurpose, there could be a very large flight deck that could carry a lot of smaller craft, or fewer, larger support ships with their own crews.

Vengeance was plain by design, she could carry out quite a few military roles if needed.
Old November 1 2013, 05:49 PM   #209
anh165
Commander

No, here's what we do know. The writers and producers don't know what the hell they are talking about when it comes to relating technologies. It is IMPOSSIBLE for them to have a ship more powerful than a LATE 24TH CENTURY WARSHIP. NO WAY IN HELL. It only shows the stupidity and lack of intelligence of the people in charge.

Lets see people working with that Radio Tube, warehouse sized calculator and reverse engineer a Windows 7 Dell Inspiron 560 and see how long it takes them to reverse engineer it. They wouldn't know where to begin.
Vengeance in pure battle combat terms, makes the E-E totally obsolete.

On screen demonstration in STID proves more than a million internet posts can ever do.

I'm sure 24th century prime universe starfleet would have killed to have the know how to build the Vengeance against the borg and dominion threats.
Old November 2 2013, 04:06 PM   #210
Mycroft Maxwell
Lieutenant Commander

The technology is still 100 years behind the Enterprise E. No matter how you cut it Lets see a 1985 frigate take on 1885 warship...that warship aint gonna touch the frigate nd the warship aint gonn know what it them.....hell a 1985 freighter would waste a 1885 warship...just ram the damn thing.