Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 12 2013, 03:16 AM   #301
Borgminister

Re: Sleepy Hollow (Spoilers)

Well a Shoney's Big Boy-like doll would not have done the trick, I don't think...

Ratings are slumping, looks like both it and Almost Human are iffy for a pick-up.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 03:21 AM   #302
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Borgminister wrote: View Post
Well a Shoney's Big Boy-like doll would not have done the trick, I don't think...

Ratings are slumping, looks like both it and Almost Human are iffy for a pick-up.
Sleepy Hollow has already been renewed for a second season.

Fox announced it back on October 3rd.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 03:32 AM   #303
Borgminister

Marc wrote: View Post
Borgminister wrote: View Post

Sleepy Hollow has already been renewed for a second season.

Fox announced it back on October 3rd.
I think I knew that, but if ratings don't hold, that decision can be reversed; it isn't automatic.

I'd like to see both shows renewed, even though the juvenile sexual asides on Almost Human make me cringe sometimes.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 04:28 AM   #304
Christopher
Writer

I've found Almost Human an almost complete failure. The science fiction is cliched and cursory, the character writing is weak, the female characters are poorly handled, and it's basically just a pastiche of really violent '80s cop movies, which are not a genre I follow. By contrast, Sleepy Hollow may have a ridiculous premise, but it really commits to it and fleshes it out imaginatively, and it does great work with its characters. If AH is doing poorly in the ratings, I'm neither surprised nor disappointed, but I hope having it as a lead-in doesn't hurt Sleepy Hollow.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2013, 05:10 PM   #305
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Agreed - SH IMO is extremely well written and the characters are top-shelf. I would be very disappointed if this show ends before its time. Although I do think that 7 years may be a bit ambitious. I hope they have a good roadmap.
Old December 12 2013, 11:44 PM   #306
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Gryff Gryngle wrote: View Post
I need to rewatch Monday's episode again. I was on the phone for most of the time and didn't really pay much attention. But it appears Ichabod's son was given up for adoption. At some point, he fell to the hands of a cruel man who was beating him with a whip. And there was a coven of witches that buried him alive when he was older(?). What a tragic life ...
Am I the only one who thought that Ichabod's son, though buried, was placed in some sort of magical suspended animation and could have been revived in the future?

Okay, so maybe I am the only one.

Old December 12 2013, 11:58 PM   #307
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

No, that was directly implied by the show.
Old December 13 2013, 12:09 AM   #308
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
Gryff Gryngle wrote: View Post
I need to rewatch Monday's episode again. I was on the phone for most of the time and didn't really pay much attention. But it appears Ichabod's son was given up for adoption. At some point, he fell to the hands of a cruel man who was beating him with a whip. And there was a coven of witches that buried him alive when he was older(?). What a tragic life ...
Am I the only one who thought that Ichabod's son, though buried, was placed in some sort of magical suspended animation and could have been revived in the future?

Okay, so maybe I am the only one.

The four didn't say they killed him, they said they stopped his heart. They didn't intend to put him to sleep, given their treatment of his mother over her preserving Ichabod. But given that he is a powerful witch, I think it's likely he can be revived.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper

Last edited by Vendikarr; December 13 2013 at 02:27 AM.
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2013, 12:36 AM   #309
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

So he is still alive.
Old December 13 2013, 01:08 AM   #310
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
No, that was directly implied by the show.

Kewl!
Old December 13 2013, 02:48 AM   #311
propita
Rear Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
I too was bored to tears by the Captain's family soap opera. That's not the kind of scene I watch this show for.
Normally I hate that stuff, too. But this was providing some background for him and gave some extra info. He’s not one of the witnesses; he can step away from this. His talk with the priest(?) gave info that he’s a man of faith, or was. And the fact that he’s willing to continue with Ichabod/Abby shows his strength of character. His errors in his marriage shows that he’s flawed, but is willing to continue despite his flaws. His apology to his ex shows that he’s realized and accepted responsibility for his mistakes, isn’t blaming her, and actually sounded like a goodbye, in a way.

The scene with the priest also counterposed the scene with the possessed hot chocolate vendor. It also showed that the “evil” is aware of him. And his daughter. You can tell there’s going to be a choice: fight evil or protect daughter.

Unless his daughter takes a prominent role (which I think she will, but hopefully not too much), this was sufficient to round out his background.

I do like him with Abby’s sister; the characters interact well and there’s enough chemistry between them.

I noticed that Ichabod is the only white main character. I like how that was done without making a big show of it. Well, now John Noble is recurring, and the sister is more recurring than main.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 03:41 AM   #312
JD
Admiral

I didn't even notice what you pointed out about the racial makeup of the cast. Very cool.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2013, 03:57 AM   #313
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Yeah, an Equal Opportunity cast. Don't forget Katrina, Crane's wife.
Old December 16 2013, 05:23 AM   #314
propita
Rear Admiral

Oops! Did forget her. Though, again, she's closer to recurring than on screen in every episode, right?

Still enjoying the show, though.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2013, 05:32 AM   #315
Christopher
Writer

Katia Winter (Katrina) is one of the four regulars listed in the main titles, even though she hasn't been in every episode and has tended to play a secondary role. So whether she qualifies as a "main character" is, I suppose, dependent on how you define that term.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote