To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 15 2013, 05:13 AM   #166
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Re: Sleepy Hollow (Spoilers)

They ought to skip the opening narrative: "My name is Ichabod Crane, blah, blah." There's already an opening credit, which is sufficient. Watching now ...
Old October 15 2013, 05:17 AM   #167
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I said that about Burn Notice and they kept on putting the same opening narration in front of every episode season after season. They even included it in the series finale. Overkill!
Old October 15 2013, 06:05 AM   #168
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Good episode overall. How was Abbie not infected with the blight when Ichabod and others were? The two of them even went into Roanoke to visit the colonists, who were also infected but not endangered due to the holy water. But eventually, Abbie figured it out when she realized it was the water that helped the colonists. The only explanation I can think of is that Abbie needed to have faith and was therefore instrumental in preventing the Pestilence horseman from coming to Sleepy Hollow.

Last edited by Gryffindorian; October 15 2013 at 06:24 AM.
Gryffindorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 07:02 AM   #169
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Crane was infected when he came in contact with the boy in the beginning, not when they went to Roanoke. Abbie never got as close.

This episode was a little of a let down. I think they need to give the characters a chance to breathe and have a little down time.
Old October 15 2013, 07:56 AM   #170
Borgminister

I must say, very good production and direction. Script pretty darned good too... love the Middle English or whatever... better than the attempt at German. Yes, it does matter if you deign to go to foreign language land.

3 week hiatus, then it returns with Almost Human. Crossing fingers!
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 10:22 AM   #171
Lonemagpie
Writer

sojourner wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
First episode aired in the UK last night - it was pretty decent.
I'm curious what kind of reaction it will get over there with it depicting the British forces as demon worshiping/end of days bringing bad guys. Though they do seem to be trying to side step it with the Hessians a bit.
We're used to Hollywood hiring Brits to play decent villains, so I expect people will see it as an extension of that, if they even bother to give it a moment's thought. Which i doubt anyone will.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 05:41 PM   #172
Forbin
Admiral

I was actually understanding the Middle English without the subtitles for a few minutes there.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 06:11 PM   #173
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Avada Kedavra wrote: View Post
They ought to skip the opening narrative: "My name is Ichabod Crane, blah, blah." There's already an opening credit, which is sufficient. Watching now ...
To be fair, every episode is conceivably someone's first, and the credit sequence, although lovely and atmospheric, doesn't even begin to explain the extremely high-concept premise of the series.

Heck, I know at least person who missed the first ep but decided to check out the second because he'd heard good things about the premiere. He would've been completely lost without that opening spiel . . . .
Old October 15 2013, 07:01 PM   #174
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
I was actually understanding the Middle English without the subtitles for a few minutes there.
"Where do ye dwelleth?"

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 07:43 PM   #175
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Avada Kedavra wrote: View Post
To be fair, every episode is conceivably someone's first, and the credit sequence, although lovely and atmospheric, doesn't even begin to explain the extremely high-concept premise of the series.

Heck, I know at least person who missed the first ep but decided to check out the second because he'd heard good things about the premiere. He would've been completely lost without that opening spiel . . . .
It's kind of like, well, EXACTLY like, the old intro on Dr. Who with Amy narrating... Long time fans were annoyed but since the show was just really starting to pick up steam here in the states, it made sense to have it there to bring people up to speed.
Old October 15 2013, 07:51 PM   #176
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

And it's not like this is new. Every episode of Gilligan's Island began with "Sit right back and you''ll hear a tale," recounting how the Minnow got marooned in the first place. Ditto for "Charlie's Angels," "The Avengers," and any number of long-running shows.

In fact, I dimly recall a series that began every episode by explaining about the five-year-mission of a certain Starship Enterprise . . .

Now you can argue that it's redundant to have an introduction AND a stylized credits sequence. Maybe they need to combine the two somehow . . . .
Old October 15 2013, 08:47 PM   #177
Forbin
Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
"Where do ye dwelleth?"
Neweth Jerseyeth!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 08:51 PM   #178
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Which is funny, because i was able to, somehow, hear through the German influences on that language, which made it sound more German at moments than the actual German last week.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 09:14 PM   #179
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Secret order of Templars?

Are we going into "Assassins Creed" territory now?

John Noble in a few weeks!
Old October 15 2013, 09:49 PM   #180
Beagleman
Captain

Crimelord_Insidious wrote: View Post
Which is funny, because i was able to, somehow, hear through the German influences on that language, which made it sound more German at moments than the actual German last week.
Just came here to post the same thing. I'm German and understood the Middle-English better than some of the German last week!
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote