Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 17 2013, 05:16 PM   #16
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Re: Fast & Furious 7 - Lucas Black retuns to franchise

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I haven't seen TD. Is there any way Han's death there could turn out not to have been real - like Michelle Rodriguez' character?
Very doubtful.. Han was in the car when it crashed, we see him still in the car when it comes to a stop and then it blows up. No realistic way of him slipping out to the side or such and any theory one might have had is gone after the post credit scene of FF6 with Statham being the one who killed Han.

I can't wait to see the gang going out for revenge.. Han was family and we all know how Dom treats family
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 05:23 PM   #17
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Shame that. Ah well.
Old September 17 2013, 05:33 PM   #18
Relayer1
Commodore

I'm not a massive fan of the series (though I've seen and enjoyed the first and fourth movies) but the way they've basically managed to reunite almost everyone who's ever appeared in a F&F movie over the last few years amazes and impresses me.

Haven't seen TD but I thought Black was excellent as a child in the under-rated and short-lived tv show American Gothic.
I'd avoided all of the films until this year as I'm not a petrol head. I've now seen them all and I'm amazed at how the standard 'hit, sequel without all of the cast, third film with none of the cast' progression was turned around and the third film retconned into later continuity.

It deserves to succeed just for that...
Old September 17 2013, 05:37 PM   #19
Relayer1
Commodore

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
I haven't seen TD. Is there any way Han's death there could turn out not to have been real - like Michelle Rodriguez' character?
Very doubtful.. Han was in the car when it crashed, we see him still in the car when it comes to a stop and then it blows up. No realistic way of him slipping out to the side or such and any theory one might have had is gone after the post credit scene of FF6 with Statham being the one who killed Han.

I can't wait to see the gang going out for revenge.. Han was family and we all know how Dom treats family
Han's in 'Better Luck Tomorrow' as well if you want to see more of the character. Same actor, same director, same name - it's sort of unofficial though.
Old September 17 2013, 05:55 PM   #20
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
I'm not a massive fan of the series (though I've seen and enjoyed the first and fourth movies) but the way they've basically managed to reunite almost everyone who's ever appeared in a F&F movie over the last few years amazes and impresses me.

Haven't seen TD but I thought Black was excellent as a child in the under-rated and short-lived tv show American Gothic.
I'd avoided all of the films until this year as I'm not a petrol head. I've now seen them all and I'm amazed at how the standard 'hit, sequel without all of the cast, third film with none of the cast' progression was turned around and the third film retconned into later continuity.

It deserves to succeed just for that...
Yeah, even as at best a casual fan of the movies, I do find myself rooting for them, the way they've gone about it and gotten even more popular as the series has gone on.

I think it's also interesting that it features such a mixed race ensemble cast - Walker and now Black are the minority white guys. Quite unusual for a big blockbuster franchise.
Old September 17 2013, 07:42 PM   #21
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I'll be curious to see Lucas Black return as he's essentially the Jar Jar Binks of this franchise. It's fun to knock on him apparently.
I own the first 4 films and enjoy them. They really are more or less remakes of Italian Job and Oceans 11 now than simple heist films by "local" thugs, which is how the first few are really framed. So it'll be interesting to see what template they use next for the upcoming Fast 7.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 10:46 PM   #22
sojourner
Admiral

Oooh, great idea if this goes to 11 movies

Ocean's 11 gets Fast and Furious.

The ultimate team up!
Old September 18 2013, 11:45 AM   #23
FreezeC77
Commodore

Re: Fast & Furious 7 - Lucas Black returns to franchise

I get that Tokyo Drift takes place after Fast and Furious 6 chronologically, but that makes me wonder. Exactly what year is it in the F&F universe? Tokyo Drift has 2006/2007 cars in it. So does that mean the last few movies all featured car models that were built prior to that year? Or is Tokyo Drift supposed to be regarded as having taken place in 2013/2014 and just used older cars?
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 01:39 PM   #24
Relayer1
Commodore

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
I get that Tokyo Drift takes place after Fast and Furious 6 chronologically, but that makes me wonder. Exactly what year is it in the F&F universe? Tokyo Drift has 2006/2007 cars in it. So does that mean the last few movies all featured car models that were built prior to that year? Or is Tokyo Drift supposed to be regarded as having taken place in 2013/2014 and just used older cars?
I can't tell one car from another (down to utter lack of interest) but I did notice everyone had flip phones in Tokyo Drift.
Old September 18 2013, 03:49 PM   #25
Gaith
Rear Admiral

You realize this is the same franchise in which an American Diplomatic Security Service agent pulls a gun on a high-ranking Spanish military officer on his own base and doesn't get jailed or even fired, yes? Let's not overthink things, here.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 04:05 PM   #26
Dream
Admiral

The Fast and Furious series obviously takes place in an ALTERNATE universe. That is the only explanation for why so many action scenes ignore the laws of physics and gravity!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 04:50 PM   #27
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

When you watch the first Fast film take a good look at the computers they are designing the cars engine specs on. The tech/gear head loads a 5" "floppy" disc into the computer. Granted it is 2001 but it just shows how long the series has been around in real time vs what is the "movie length of time".
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 10:53 PM   #28
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
When you watch the first Fast film take a good look at the computers they are designing the cars engine specs on. The tech/gear head loads a 5" "floppy" disc into the computer. Granted it is 2001 but it just shows how long the series has been around in real time vs what is the "movie length of time".
It's a 3,5 inch disk

*runs away before being stoned for wiseassery*

Yeah.. i'd not look too closely at internal consistency or chronology in the movies. As long as the core aspects are there and done well i couldn't care less about tech dates and wether or not they fit into the timeline or that older movies in the franchise don't fit with newer ones for some technical details.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 11:20 AM   #29
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Then there's also the issue of how much Lucas now looks than he did in TD but I tend to go along with FPAlpha's attitude about details.
Old October 23 2013, 03:57 PM   #30
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Over at Slate a while back, Matthew Yglesias provided the valuable service of examing the series' moral and philosophical implications. Though it plays with the trope of the ludicrously academic examination of low culture, I say entirely unironically that's it's a great read:

The Fast, the Furious, and the Long-Term Erosion of American Social and Economic Institutions

Like any reasonable person, I watch the Fast and the Furious film franchise primarily for its insights into moral philosophy and political economy. At a fundamental level, the franchise is about what Harvard philosopher Christine Korsgaard identifies in The Sources of Normativity as the "intractable conflicts" that arise from our conflicting practical identities. As moral actors we are, first and foremost, human and subject to impersonal moral obligations. But in this neo-Kantian, human-centered framework we face the unavoidable reality that as humans we are each beautiful unique snowflakes with our own particular lives and particular obligations to particular people. To simply ignore our concrete obligations to one another in the face of abstract obligations to humanity would, itself, be inhuman.

[...]

In a world where the system increasingly seems to be rigged, it's natural to turn to the Dominic Torettos of the world as heroes. Yet Dom, for all his hard work, ingenuity, and undeniable skill doesn't really do anything useful or productive. He's a nice guy who's loyal to his friends and family. He lives by a code. And his outlook is increasingly appealing in an increasingly unequal America. But it's ultimately destructive of the social institutions needed to generate prosperity. And yet at a time when elites long ago stopped caring whether the gains of economic growth would be widely shared, and in recent years seem to have turned their backs on the unemployed altogether, then these are the heroes we'll turn to.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote