Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 16 2013, 08:32 PM   #1
Kirk the Jerk
Rear Admiral

Admiral Jameson

Currently watching 'Too Short A Season' again and forgot how cringeworthy 'old' Jameson was, the acting I mean... Surely it would have been better to have an older actor play old Jameson, his voice makes me cringe at his attempt to sound 'old'. Overly husky and every word overly emphasised.

IMO It would also been more dramatic to see a drastically younger Jameson (different actors) throughout the episode rather than just remove a bit of make-up here and there. I realise it was it was to do with budgets etc. but to me it's quite hard to watch the whole thing play out.
Kirk the Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 11:05 PM   #2
Makarov
Commander

Re: Admiral Jameson

At first I thought he was trying too hard to sound like an old man, but the funny thing is he sounds the same way as a kid too. I think he just tried to be overly expressive in the old-man makeup with his gestures.

I actually liked his acting as the younger version when he's ordering Picard around.

I don't know which old man voice is worse, Jameson or Mark Twain...
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 11:09 PM   #3
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Samuel Clemens was definitely worse. At least Jameson was a caricature of a fictional character.
Old September 17 2013, 02:24 AM   #4
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

That episode would have been so much better in its original form - where the old admiral was Kirk, come to see the effects of what he did from "A Private Little War." Shatner would have been just the right age.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 08:15 AM   #5
Dukhat
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
That episode would have been so much better in its original form - where the old admiral was Kirk, come to see the effects of what he did from "A Private Little War." Shatner would have been just the right age.
That's the first I've heard of that. Source?
Old September 17 2013, 09:16 AM   #6
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I'd be interested in that too. It certainly would've changed a lot. If nothing else it would have saved us from Generations.
Old September 17 2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Tiberius
Commodore

But how would they get young Kirk?
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 01:36 PM   #8
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

^ That's an interesting question. Today, they could potentially de-age him using CGI technologies, a la Tron Legacy. But in 1987? That wouldn't have been an option. Not sure how they would have managed that.

As interesting as it might have been to see Kirk, this was way too early in the run of TNG to go there. The brief cameo by McCoy in Farpoint was touching and well-done, but anything more than that would have been a distraction. The TNG crew needed time to stand on their own two feet first. Additionally, the story as written would have outraged many fans of Kirk and TOS.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 03:06 PM   #9
R. Star
Rear Admiral

They probably wouldn't have bothered with the whole deaging think, especially if they're tying back to a private little war.
Old September 17 2013, 04:48 PM   #10
Kirk the Jerk
Rear Admiral

Would it have been smart to let such an iconic figure like Captain Kirk die in season 1 though? Although it would have cemented the fact it was a brand new show and wanted to set itself aside from TOS.
Kirk the Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 06:13 PM   #11
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Again, who said anything about him dying? If the original script was calling for Kirk and the muzzle loader planet, it obviously was envisioning something very different than the whole aging thing we got.
Old September 17 2013, 06:57 PM   #12
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I think that rumor has been found to be not true.
Old September 18 2013, 07:29 PM   #13
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Admiral Jameson sounds like a splenid Irish Whiskey.
Old September 20 2013, 06:16 PM   #14
Praetor
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Supposedly that was the original pitch for the episode, but the writing team didn't want to go there. I started a thread about this not that long ago.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 06:28 PM   #15
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Praetor wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Supposedly that was the original pitch for the episode, but the writing team didn't want to go there. I started a thread about this not that long ago.
Yeah.

But I've been going through some of my TNG books (including the Compendium) and can't find it mentioned anywhere.