Meaney In Talks For McGuinness Role
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Stewart And Son To Act Together

Quinto: If I Wasn’t An Actor…

Star Trek Beyond Update

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old August 10 2013, 02:22 AM   #1
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron
Laser vision correction

Just out of curiosity, has anyone on the board used and had good results? I had my eyes examined not too long ago and they're pretty healthy for my age, but it was an option the doctor brought up as a possibility. I've worn glasses for years for myopia, but the thought has occasionally crossed my mind. I'd mainly like to hear more.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 03:30 AM   #2
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Re: Laser vision correction

A few years ago a friend had it done and it worked for him. I'm not as brave, but contacts get expensive and glasses are a bother.

Unfortunately, every time I even consider it, I'm reminded of this Simpsons clip.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 03:59 AM   #3
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

no, my laser vision is dead acurate
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 03:59 AM   #4
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

shivkala wrote: View Post
A few years ago a friend had it done and it worked for him. I'm not as brave, but contacts get expensive and glasses are a bother.

Unfortunately, every time I even consider it, I'm reminded of this Simpsons clip.
Had it done in 2002, no problems.
Old August 10 2013, 10:24 AM   #5
marksound
Fleet Captain

Is there a chance you might develop cataracts in the near future? When I was having cataract surgery last year I was told that it was more difficult to get an accurate measurement for a new synthetic lens on patients with previous laser correction.

Just something to discuss with your eye doc.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 12:41 PM   #6
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Ever played Dead Space 2?
Old August 10 2013, 05:10 PM   #7
Naira
Rear Admiral

Most of my friends are very happy after doing it. Many of them say, however, that their eyes are much more sensitive to the sunlight and they have to wear sunglasses more often (not very convinient when you live in Greece).
Old August 10 2013, 08:12 PM   #8
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile

Unicron wrote: View Post
Just out of curiosity, has anyone on the board used and had good results? I had my eyes examined not too long ago and they're pretty healthy for my age, but it was an option the doctor brought up as a possibility. I've worn glasses for years for myopia, but the thought has occasionally crossed my mind. I'd mainly like to hear more.
I haven't had it done but my sister-in-law has and she loves it.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 09:39 PM   #9
propita
Rear Admiral

I'm a coward. Won't do it. I may have a future macular degeneration issue, so it might not be a good idea even if I were brave. And I'm already light-sensitive, so that's another problem.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2013, 10:51 PM   #10
iguana_tonante
Admiral

My partner had it done a few years ago, she's very happy with it. The surgery went smooth, and the recovery wasn't too long or annoying (just a few days on mild painkillers and sunglasses).

I am terrified of anything touching my eyes (I can't even wear contact lenses), but I like how I look in glasses, so thankfully it's not an issue.
Old August 10 2013, 11:02 PM   #11
marksound
Fleet Captain

propita wrote: View Post
I'm a coward. Won't do it. I may have a future macular degeneration issue, so it might not be a good idea even if I were brave. And I'm already light-sensitive, so that's another problem.
I'll tell you, I'm not a guy who shies away from needles or any kind of surgery and stuff, but I was really nervous about the cataract surgery. I need to be able to see, and though I knew it was necessary to save my vision I didn't like the idea of a guy with a knife cutting on my eyes.

The prep for the surgery was ok. I had to take my shirt off and put on a gown, then a cap, and they put in an IV for whatever that was. In a while we walked to the OR, and after I got on the table they tucked me in with a funnel and hose under my chin so if I woke up puking it would go in a bucket and not all over the place.

They injected something into my IV to knock me out, and the surgeon came in. As I was blacking out he tried to make a little small talk. I felt the scalpel putting pressure on my eye, and then it was over. I woke up, and the nurse walked me back to the prep area where my wife was waiting.

As we walked out I joked with the nurse about a wheelchair, and getting some Mexican food. I stayed awake for the ride home, but when we got home I went to sleep for 3 or 4 hours.

Three weeks later it was a near exact repeat of the first time.

My eye doc says that in the spring he'll zap the new lenses with a laser to get rid of any new buildup. That should be a one time thing.

So I'd expect that LASIK would be a piece of cake compared to that.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 12:52 AM   #12
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

Naira wrote: View Post
Most of my friends are very happy after doing it. Many of them say, however, that their eyes are much more sensitive to the sunlight and they have to wear sunglasses more often (not very convinient when you live in Greece).
I've read that's a potential side effect. I've found it helpful to always have transitional lenses on my glasses, since I've worn them for many years.

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Is there a chance you might develop cataracts in the near future? When I was having cataract surgery last year I was told that it was more difficult to get an accurate measurement for a new synthetic lens on patients with previous laser correction.

Just something to discuss with your eye doc.
Thankfully, I'm way too young to worry about cataracts at this point.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 03:06 AM   #13
Kitty Worrier
Rear Admiral

My eye doctor keeps brining it up to me each year, but I am too much of a wuss to do that. Sorry, I'll stick with glasses and contacts. I've memorized the layout of my home so I can navigate at night without them.
Kitty Worrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 05:22 AM   #14
R. Star
Rear Admiral

It's been something I've also been meaning to do, but have just never got around to. Heck I've had glasses as long as I can remember so it's not even a liability to me. Contacts just sucked... I hated how they dried my eyes out every day and I wanted to gouge them out. The contacts anyways.
Old August 11 2013, 09:54 AM   #15
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Yeah, I've worn glasses since 2nd grade, so it's like they're part of me and how I look. I've never had any interest in contacts or having lasers shot into my eyes. I suppose I'd consider it if my vision got a lot worse, but I'm happy to be a four eyes.