Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old September 16 2013, 01:08 PM   #1
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Location: five hundred parsecs from where we are... I mean, were... I mean...
Why does Scotty take Peter Preston to the bridge?

Am I missing something, or is there no in-story reason at all for Scotty to take the critically-injured Peter to the bridge instead of Sickbay?

Did he expect Kirk to pull a Viva Knievel-style faith healing or something?
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 01:30 PM   #2
Smellmet
Commander

Re: Why does Scotty take Peter Preston to the bridge?

The scene when you think about it makes no sense. However I always saw it that Scotty was in shock and in a lot of distress and was looking to kirk to help him, and basically wasn't thinking straight.
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 01:43 PM   #3
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Oh my goodness, I had tried to conveniently forget this scene. IIRC Dr. McCoy was not on the bridge but it gets worse - the turbo lifts weren't operational below C-Deck because of Khan's attack. So how...

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 02:33 PM   #4
Sran
Fleet Captain

People do strange things when they're in shock. Mrs. Kennedy tried to put pieces of her husband's brain back into his skull after he was shot. That doesn't make sense, either. He was dead the moment Oswald's bullet ripped through his skull. But in her distress, the First Lady did the first thing that occurred to her. I'd imagine that's why Scotty did what he did. He knew Peter needed help. He went the first place he could find that help, even if it was the wrong thing to do.

--Sran
Old September 16 2013, 02:37 PM   #5
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Location: five hundred parsecs from where we are... I mean, were... I mean...

Smellmet wrote: View Post
The scene when you think about it makes no sense. However I always saw it that Scotty was in shock and in a lot of distress and was looking to kirk to help him, and basically wasn't thinking straight.
Sran wrote: View Post
People do strange things when they're in shock. Mrs. Kennedy tried to put pieces of her husband's brain back into his skull after he was shot. That doesn't make sense, either. He was dead the moment Oswald's bullet ripped through his skull. But in her distress, the First Lady did the first thing that occurred to her. I'd imagine that's why Scotty did what he did. He knew Peter needed help. He went the first place he could find that help, even if it was the wrong thing to do.

--Sran
^ I guess that makes the most sense, and that must be why I never questioned it when I was younger. Thanks.
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 03:11 PM   #6
CaptPapa
Commander

I don't think there's any good, in-universe explanation - I'd hate to think that the ship's chief engineer would react in that manner under any circumstances. He's had many years of emergencies before this event, and I just don't see him doing what's shown here; even though it's his nephew who's injured.
The obvious real answer is that it's more dramatic then just taking him straight to sickbay. Too bad the writer's opted for this inexcusable plot-ploy - it's even worse than having him hit his head on a bulkhead during the Final Frontier.
Old September 16 2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Sran
Fleet Captain

CaptPapa wrote: View Post
I don't think there's any good, in-universe explanation - I'd hate to think that the ship's chief engineer would react in that manner under any circumstances. He's had many years of emergencies before this event, and I just don't see him doing what's shown here; even though it's his nephew who's injured.
Chief engineer or no, he's human. Kirk fell in the middle of his bridge and started sobbing after he learned David had been killed. He also ran toward the power conduit where Spock was dying even though opening the door would have flooded the entire engineering section with lethal radiation. He was stopped only because Scotty and McCoy held him back. Didn't he have years of experience, too?

What Scotty did may not make sense. But that's the point. People react strangely when they're in shock. When that shock is precipitated by the death of a close friend or family member, any job training or experience goes right out the window.

--Sran
Old September 16 2013, 03:31 PM   #8
Robert Comsol
Commodore

CaptPapa wrote: View Post
The obvious real answer is that it's more dramatic then just taking him straight to sickbay. Too bad the writer's opted for this inexcusable plot-ploy - it's even worse than having him hit his head on a bulkhead during the Final Frontier.
It might have served some "See what you have done, now we all pay the price for your negligence" context in the film.

Of course, Kirk never learned during the film what had really happened to Khan and company on Ceti Alpha V but the character flaw of "Admiral Kirk" during the remainder of the movie is that he doesn't seem to care (which is out of touch with his younger self at the end of "Space Seed", IMHO).

Instead he just provokes Khan into more action, but finally even the great James T. Kirk had to pay a price, i.e. the death of Spock. But even at the beginning of Star Trek III it doesn't seem that Kirk is willing to accept any responsibility for the events in ST III.
Kirk makes this remark about having paid with their "own blood" but it never seems to occur to him that he is partially responsible for that.

Bob
Old September 16 2013, 03:47 PM   #9
Sran
Fleet Captain

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Kirk makes this remark about having paid with their "own blood" but it never seems to occur to him that he is partially responsible for that.
A perfect example of the leadership by arrogance approach that he displays throughout the films, beginning with his behavior in TMP. He accuses Scotty of incompetence by asking why the transporters haven't been fixed and takes him to task for whining about the change in the Enterprise's orders and launch date. He then ousts Captain Decker from command despite knowing nothing about the designs of the refurbished Enterprise, a vessel that Decker played a significant role in both redesigning and rebuilding. The end result is his flying the Enterprise into a wormhole that nearly ends with the ship severely damaged by an asteroid. His mistakes stop only after McCoy calls him out and Spock arrives to help Scott repair the engines.

In TWOK, he assumes command of Enterprise and promptly ignores the warnings of a bridge officer when Reliant doesn't immediately answer hails. The ship is crippled almost beyond repair and several cadets and officers are injured or killed. Kirk never apologizes to Scotty for getting his nephew killed, nor does he apologize to Spock for wrecking his ship. When Spock later sacrifices himself to save the Enterprise, Kirk admits that he "knows nothing," but apparently forgets this lesson by the time of TSFS.

He tells Sarek that he would have sacrificed himself to save Spock, but if that's true, why didn't he try to repair the conduit himself? Granted, it seems as though he didn't realize where Spock had gone until Bones called the bridge. But it's not as though he needed to be on the bridge while the Enterprise was trying to leave the nebula. Sulu could have taken the ship to warp without him, as he'd already given the order ("Get us out of here! Best possible speed!"). Why not atone for his mistakes by not asking another crew member to die in his place? If he'd acted properly following Saavik's warning, Khan would likely have never gotten his hands on Genesis, and perhaps no one would have died.

And what about Terrell, who seemed like a good man caught up in situation he didn't really understand? Did Kirk grieve for his death as he did Spock? If he'd handled things differently, perhaps Terrell would still have been alive at the end of TWOK and could have resumed his career, albeit following a hearing of some sort. Captain Esteban and the Grissom? Would they have died had they not been at Genesis? And so on, and so on.

--Sran
Old September 16 2013, 10:58 PM   #10
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Maybe the movie producers realized they definitely needed a "Kirk saves planet Earth and some whales" excuse by the time of ST IV.

Bob
Old September 16 2013, 11:17 PM   #11
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Oh my goodness, I had tried to conveniently forget this scene. IIRC Dr. McCoy was not on the bridge but it gets worse - the turbo lifts weren't operational below C-Deck because of Khan's attack. So how...
The turbolifts had to have gone offline after Kirk's landing party left (likely a result of the power to them being diverted elsewhere during repairs), otherwise Kirk would have known that before he left.
Old September 16 2013, 11:19 PM   #12
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Maybe Scotty was auditioning for a Starfleet production of "King Lear"?
Old September 16 2013, 11:55 PM   #13
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I always took it as Scotty was showing up to hang Peter around Kirk's neck like an albatross.
Old September 17 2013, 12:07 AM   #14
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

A lame but practical rationalization: The turbolifts were at that point malfunctioning, and would later be taken offline. Scotty got sent to the bridge accidentally, or it was the closest he could get to sickbay.

A less lame, more dramatic rationalization: It was Peter's dying request to be taken to the bridge and/or to see the admiral. Scotty knew the kid didn't have a chance, so he fulfilled it.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 12:23 AM   #15
Workbee
Commander

Or another possible rationalization -- during the attack McCoy got trapped in one of the lifts, or at least diverted to a different deck. Shortly before the attack he was seen on the bridge, I think can be seen entering a turbolift shortly after the firing begins -- presumably headed for sickbay.

Scotty may have brought Peter to sickbay initially. Upon learning that McCoy wasn't there and the staff did not seem to know where he was, elected to take Peter to McCoy's last known location (the bridge) rather than letting him go through the triage process.

Seeing as how there were more injured than there were beds, Scotty may not be acting completely irrationally. Had he left Peter to whatever doctor / nurses were on staff, Peter may have died at the table before McCoy even got to him (or worse, on the floor next to a table). If the cadets did run as Scotty asserts, it is likely that the injured had all gotten to sickbay in advance, meaning that the beds were already full and staff overloaded before Scotty even got Preston out of Engineering. When we finally do see them in sickbay, they are in the main diagnostic room, suggesting that scotty got McCoy, and possibly with influence from Admiral Kirk, to bump Preston to top priority.
Workbee is offline   Reply With Quote