Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old September 19 2013, 03:07 PM   #16
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Re: "Even the Lies?" "Especially the Lies"

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
When was all this post-modernist non-sense ever helpful?
I don't know exactly what you're referring to.

I would argue that a belief in the absolute "goodness" of an action can be a very dangerous thing in the wrong hands. It never hurts to try and understand other perspectives, whether you ultimately agree with them or not.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 03:22 PM   #17
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Lindley wrote: View Post

I would argue that a belief in the absolute "goodness" of an action can be a very dangerous thing in the wrong hands. It never hurts to try and understand other perspectives, whether you ultimately agree with them or not.
Let me give you a few examples, then:
Science and technology improved the life of billions of humans - including ourselves.
Ethics such as 'slavery is wrong' did the same for millions.

When has post-modernist non-sense:
~'all points of view are valid/justified', ~'scientists are biased/science cannot prove with 100% certainty its conclusions - therefore science is flawed/useless/whatever' + thousands of pages of obtuse text,
ever helped anyone?

BTW, utilitarianism does not claim the absolute 'goodness' of an action. On the contrary, it claims an action may be good or not depending on the situation. And then there's the yin/yang argument (any good deed contains some evil).
As far as I know, some deontologies try to have similar enough views.

Last edited by Edit_XYZ; September 19 2013 at 03:36 PM.
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 03:48 PM   #18
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Let me give you a few examples, then:
Science and technology improved the life of billions of humans - including ourselves.
Ethics such as 'slavery is wrong' did the same for millions.
No argument. That just shows there are some things that are so clearly beneficial that it's not worth the time to distinguish them from absolute goods; it does not, however, prove the existence of absolute goods, and it doesn't provide any useful guidance on questions which are less clear-cut.

~'all points of view are valid/justified', ~'scientists are biased/science cannot prove with 100% certainty its conclusions - therefore science is flawed/useless/whatever' + thousands of pages of obtuse text,
ever helped anyone?
First, I doubt anyone here proposes to support either of those positions. Even if they did, as absolute statements they are highly suspect.

The closest I would argue is that all points of view are worth trying to understand. That doesn't validate them in any way, but you can't oppose *or* support a viewpoint before you understand what's driving it.

The second is simply a logical fallacy. Science isn't trying to prove anything, it's trying to explain things in a way that is predictively useful. But you can't correct someone about this misconception unless you understand their viewpoint first, can you?

BTW, utilitarianism does not claim the absolute 'goodness' of an action. On the contrary, it claims an action may be good or not depending on the situation. And then there's the yin/yang argument (any good deed contains some evil).
As far as I know, some deontologies try to have similar enough views.
The "absolute goodness" bit was not strictly related to utilitarianism; it was more to point out one of the flaws in any framework that claims to provide absolute moral guidelines.
Old September 19 2013, 03:59 PM   #19
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

ever helped anyone?
First, I doubt anyone here proposes to support either of those positions. Even if they did, as absolute statements they are highly suspect.
In this thread alone, R. Star, JarodRussell & co are pretty much there with their ~'good and evil are mere points of view'.

And there's a lot of literature out there (as said, post-modernism) that supports just that.

The closest I would argue is that all points of view are worth trying to understand. That doesn't validate them in any way, but you can't oppose *or* support a viewpoint before you understand what's driving it.

The second is simply a logical fallacy. Science isn't trying to prove anything, it's trying to explain things in a way that is predictively useful. But you can't correct someone about this misconception unless you understand their viewpoint first, can you?
Post-modernists disagree, and support their argument with books-full of obtuse non-sense. Obtuse, I suspect, in order to appear sophisticated and to mask the weakness of their argument (which their critics invariably don't understand).
Old September 19 2013, 04:15 PM   #20
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

In this thread alone, R. Star, JarodRussell & co are pretty much there with their ~'good and evil are mere points of view'.
I don't entirely disagree with them. To argue otherwise assumes some universal morality, and that's a difficult case to make. I won't argue it doesn't exist, but I'm not willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, either.

I do think some things are clearly good and others are clearly evil, but there's plenty of room in between; and it's difficult for anyone to define "clearly" outside of their own cultural context, which is kind of the point.

At best, you could define "good" and "evil" in terms of those social norms common to the entire human race. Our cultural diversity makes even identifying those tricky, but it's theoretically possible.
Old September 19 2013, 04:18 PM   #21
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Define 'universal'.*

And ~'good and evil are mere points of view' is very far from your 'some things are clearly good and others are clearly evil, but there's plenty of room in between'.
No 'clearly' anything.

*PS - I see you speak of the entire human race.
Aliens are included in 'universal' or not, as per your definition?
Forehead trek aliens or alien mentally, as well?
Old September 19 2013, 04:24 PM   #22
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Define 'universal'.

And ~'good and evil are mere points of view' is very far from your 'some things are clearly good and others are clearly evil, but there's plenty of room in between'.
No 'clearly' anything.
I don't think they're inherently different perspectives, they just have different emphases. The one I stated emphasizes that some parts of the state space resemble absolute morality; the one they stated emphasizes that other parts of the state space do not. Both recognize that the state space contains a combination of both types of morality, though.
Old September 19 2013, 04:29 PM   #23
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Define 'universal'.

No 'clearly' anything.
I don't think they're inherently different perspectives, they just have different emphases. The one I stated emphasizes that some parts of the state space resemble absolute morality; the one they stated emphasizes that other parts of the state space do not. Both recognize that the state space contains a combination of both types of morality, though.
One conception denies you can call something 'good' or 'evil' by using objective criteria and another affirms it.
And there are supposed to not be 'different' conceptions - despite you naming them 'perspectives'?
Old September 19 2013, 05:49 PM   #24
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Fine... so how about giving some empirical data on what good and evil is. Since it's an absolute fact as you're suggesting.
Old September 19 2013, 06:45 PM   #25
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

R. Star, you just established you didn't even read the posts you want to respond to.
Old September 19 2013, 06:50 PM   #26
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Because I don't agree with you, it has to be because I didn't read your oh so classy posts? Projection is common for people who can't stand an opposing viewpoint. When your "debating" consists of calling any statement that disagrees with you nonsense and putting words in other people's mouths, don't expect to be taken seriously.
Old September 19 2013, 08:33 PM   #27
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
Because I don't agree with you, it has to be because I didn't read your oh so classy posts? Projection is common for people who can't stand an opposing viewpoint. When your "debating" consists of calling any statement that disagrees with you nonsense and putting words in other people's mouths, don't expect to be taken seriously.
No, R. Star.
You didn't read my posts because I said expressly that good and evil are not absolute.
And what do you come up with?
R. Star wrote: View Post
Fine... so how about giving some empirical data on what good and evil is. Since it's an absolute fact as you're suggesting.
Apparently, it's your debating that consists of putting words into people's mouths - without even reading the posts.
Worry about being taken seriously yourself.
Old September 20 2013, 04:33 PM   #28
Yanks
Fleet Captain

My rankings for DS9's top 10.

You'll note that The Wire is very high. What a great, GREAT episode!! Garak is unparalled in Star Trek!

#1. Trials and Tribble-ations
#2. The Wire
#3. For The Uniform
#4. In The Pale Moonlight
#5. Explorers
#6. The Way of the Warrior
#7. The Visitor
#8. Call To Arms/Sacrifice of Angels
#9. In Purgatory's Shadow
#10. The Search
Old September 20 2013, 04:36 PM   #29
Pavonis
Commodore

How about that Garak character, eh? If that was his real name....
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 06:09 PM   #30
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I heard his real name was Ten Lubak.