New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old February 13 2014, 09:04 PM   #76
Jedi Ben
Lieutenant

Re: Star Trek: Section 31: Disavowed - Dec. 2014?

Thanks to this thread I've gone and bagged both Sorrows of Empire and Rise Like Lions!
Jedi Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 11:40 PM   #77
Skywalker
Admiral

My copy of Rise Like Lions came in today. Huzzah!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2014, 12:00 AM   #78
Jedi Ben
Lieutenant

Until I looked at it, I wasn't aware Rise Like Lions had links to The Soul Key! And RLL was done 2011, well after the time jump forward - gives me reason to suspect that, somehow, the Ascendants story will get completed.
Jedi Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2014, 12:50 AM   #79
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

^ All the Mirror Universe stories published since the Glass Empires anthology have been connected through shared continuity. In fact, Rise Like Lions was written not only as direct sequel to the expanded version of The Sorrows of Empire and the subsequent tales in Obsidian Alliances, it also was plotted to tie off dangling story threads from nearly a dozen short stories in the last MU anthology, Shards and Shadows.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 12:57 AM   #80
Lord Lunacy
Commander

David Mack wrote: View Post
^ All the Mirror Universe stories published since the Glass Empires anthology have been connected through shared continuity. In fact, Rise Like Lions was written not only as direct sequel to the expanded version of The Sorrows of Empire and the subsequent tales in Obsidian Alliances, it also was plotted to tie off dangling story threads from nearly a dozen short stories in the last MU anthology, Shards and Shadows.
I'm there for anything Section 31, but until Disavowed is released, you've given me a nice list of books to hold me over.
Old March 20 2014, 05:11 AM   #81
ITCH
Ensign

For those waiting for the next David Mack's bestseller, I just found the blurb of SECTION 31 — Disavowed on his website!! Check it out!!

http://www.infinitydog.com/book_disavowed.html
ITCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 05:37 AM   #82
Clark Terrell
Lieutenant Commander

ITCH wrote: View Post
For those waiting for the next David Mack's bestseller, I just found the blurb of SECTION 31 — Disavowed on his website!! Check it out!!

Fascinating. That does explain the title somewhat.
Clark Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 06:57 AM   #83
Skywalker
Admiral

Nice! Bashir, Section 31 and David Mack sounds like a winning combination. I can't wait to read it.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 01:18 PM   #84
ITCH
Ensign

How I wish U. McCormack “Home Again” were the happy ending for Bashir's career...

I’ve been mourning his career since “Ceremony” like it was my own!! He came to DS9 as a Lt. junior grade and it took CENTURIES for him to get promoted to Commander (in the meantime Nog spent years on DS9, went to the Academy and he is suddenly Lt. Commander!!)

I know what Bashir did is considered treason and bla bla bla but c’mon!!! Starfleet cut Kirk a LOT of slack and EVERYBODY on “Peaceable” came out at the end squeaky clean in spite of what they did against their “Commander in Chief”…

After what Bashir did in Ceremony and assuming he and Sarina bring down S31, what else he has to do to be accepted back in Starfleet?!?! Give his left nut? Both of them? Thrown a liver into the deal maybe??
ITCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 07:45 PM   #85
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

Patience, grasshopper.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 08:24 PM   #86
Relayer1
Commodore

Mr Mack, I was reading the new Voyager novel on the bus yesterday. As we got off, the guy opposite me who had been reading The Hunger Games asked me about Trek novels as he is a fan of the show but hasn't tried Treklit. We had a chat and I left him with a suggestion that he starts with Destiny.

It's OK, you can buy me a pint next time you're in England...

Old March 20 2014, 09:01 PM   #87
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

They come in pints???
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 09:28 PM   #88
Paper Moon
Commander

How I wish U. McCormack “Home Again” were the happy ending for Bashir's career...

I’ve been mourning his career since “Ceremony” like it was my own!! He came to DS9 as a Lt. junior grade and it took CENTURIES for him to get promoted to Commander (in the meantime Nog spent years on DS9, went to the Academy and he is suddenly Lt. Commander!!)

I know what Bashir did is considered treason and bla bla bla but c’mon!!! Starfleet cut Kirk a LOT of slack and EVERYBODY on “Peaceable” came out at the end squeaky clean in spite of what they did against their “Commander in Chief”…

After what Bashir did in Ceremony and assuming he and Sarina bring down S31, what else he has to do to be accepted back in Starfleet?!?! Give his left nut? Both of them? Thrown a liver into the deal maybe??
(Small aside: apparently McCormack's new novel is in fact named The Missing.)

You know, I love Bashir. One of my favorite characters. David Mack has done great stuff with him in the last few years.

But I gotta say: I was pissed off when he appeared in The Poisoned Chalice and Peaceable Kingdoms. In my opinion, it diluted the effect of A Ceremony of Losses. Bashir committed treason of the highest order. Whether he was right or wrong to do so, he knew that he would almost certainly be locked up forever if he were caught. And the story ends with him in exactly that position– locked up, apparently forever.

And he should have stayed there. Full stop. He should have been as gone as he would be if he were dead. Deader than Duffy. He should have disappeared forever.

Because that's exactly what would have happened. Chelsea Manning disappeared (possibility for parole in 8 years notwithstanding). Edward Snowden would probably disappear if he came back to the States. And, from an in-universe perspective, what Bashir did was more egregious.

He went up against the biggest power in the Quadrant, and he got caught. He didn't win, he lost. And he knew what the consequences would be. And that should've been that. The cost of saving the Andorians should've been Bashir's de facto existence, not just his career.

I dunno. Honestly, this "reset" bothers me much more than the events of The Eternal Tide or The Persistence of Memory, partly because it limits the allegorical meaning of the story.

Of course, this was, I think, the fundamental problem with The Fall. They put the characters into a situation very similar to the real-world problems faced by Americans and Western Europeans today– being faced with corrupt, self-serving leaders, whose short-sighted policies are going to doom civilization, and who are so firmly ensconced in power that it's very difficult to conceive of a way to overcome them.

But instead of telling a difficult story in which our characters work through the challenges of these circumstances, in a way that would be at all believable from a real-world context, we got something that wasn't much better than a child's comic book superhero story. No engagement of the legitimate issues at hand. No acknowledgement of the stark, long-term real-world consequences of actions such as Bashir's and Dax's.

They set us up for the most currently relevant TrekLit stories ever– and they extricated themselves in some of the least realistic fashions imaginable.

That all said, I'm sure that Disavowed will bring us a great story, continuing a fantastic arc for a great character. And within the specific context of Bashir's narrative, The Fall works. But in the overall context of The Fall, his story ends up being a major stumbling block.

Does look like it'll be a great story. Also, that blurb isn't the only source of information on that page... but be forewarned of potentially major spoilers!
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 09:32 PM   #89
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

^Seems a bit premature since, right now, Bashir is still locked up. Nothing's been "reset" yet, nor do we know that it will be, unless I missed something.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2014, 10:15 PM   #90
Paper Moon
Commander

DonIago wrote: View Post
^Seems a bit premature since, right now, Bashir is still locked up. Nothing's been "reset" yet, nor do we know that it will be, unless I missed something.
That's fair, but he was still able to leave during The Poisoned Chalice. He was able to continue to participate in the events that occurred during that story, and that really bugs me.

And now he's locked up, yes, but with reasonable expectation of a fair trial, and the plausible possibility that he will get a pardon.

Yes, given the incredible events which occurred in-universe, the current situation makes sense. But I wish they had conceived the whole story differently. Having Bashir be an active player after his initial incarceration guts the ending of A Ceremony of Losses, in my opinion. The novel ends in a frankly ballsy fashion where it looks like Bashir has basically been removed from the picture, permanently, and that that was the cost of saving the Andorians. But The Poisoned Chalice mitigates that, makes it look like the punch was pulled. That feels like a reset to me.
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote