TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 16 2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Ben Maxwell
Ensign

Trek already cured death

One of the big complains I am seeing is that Khan's blood cures death. Well by the time TNG rolled around, Death had already been cured. In the Neutral Zone Beverly resurrects 3 frozen humans stored in a satellete.

"Data," Picard says, "They were ALREADY Dead!"
Ben Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 04:20 PM   #2
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Re: Trek already cured death

Ben Maxwell wrote: View Post
One of the big complains I am seeing is that Khan's blood cures death. Well by the time TNG rolled around, Death had already been cured. In the Neutral Zone Beverly resurrects 3 frozen humans stored in a satellete.

Really? Did it work every time? If I remember correctly, cryonics was described as an unreliable technology that the three people, frozen at the point of death, happened to be able to benefit from where so many had not. What was real even today is that it is possible to revive someone after clinical death, but that does not preclude the need to treat the injuries and diseases that they have. Kirk, on the other hand, was brought back to life in spite of massive radiation exposure, which would affect every system simulaneously. That's far more complex and widespread than the diseases that killed the three people who died in the 20th century (a clot, booze, heart disease). Presumably, those diseases would not have killed anyone in the 24th century. Massive radiation exposure would still be deadly.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 04:21 PM   #3
Lord Prancer The 5th
Rear Admiral

Location: Mach5 doesn't like sand. It's coarse and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

I vaguely remember death being curable in Voyager as well...
Old September 16 2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Christopher
Writer

Heck, there have been many cures for death that got ignored because they would've changed the status quo too much. Transporters can reverse aging, and should be able to heal injuries as well. (Beam an injured person directly to sickbay? Okay, why not just tweak the transporter pattern so they materialize without the injury? Then you wouldn't even need sickbay.) DS9's first season gave us a trifecta: quick-cloning in "A Man Alone," the ability to download one's mind into a new body in "The Passenger," and death-repairing nanotech in "Battle Lines." Among the three of those, death could've been conquered altogether. The Federation should've already had immortality and the fountain of youth long before they discovered the Ba'ku's magic ring radiation.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 05:35 PM   #5
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Mach5 wrote: View Post
Just off the top of my head, Seven used her nanoprobes to bring Neelix back to life once.
Old September 16 2013, 05:41 PM   #6
SantaSpock
Fleet Captain

View SantaSpock's Twitter Profile

I think I remember in TNG at least on one occasion Picard beaming up the recently dead and seeing what Beverley could do about it. The implication was on some occasions that Beverley could revive them.

Nomad revived Scotty from the dead in TOS too.
SantaSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 05:46 PM   #7
Ln X
Fleet Captain

Wouldn't it be cool if from now on McCoy's diagnosis for freshly dead people would be 'he has a mild case of death'.

Super regenerative blood? I've got no problems whatsoever with that because it is one of several miracle cures out there in the Trek universe. In Voyager applying modified Borg nanoprobes can undo cellular decay several hours after the patient has died.

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 05:52 PM   #8
Christopher
Writer

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
I think I remember in TNG at least on one occasion Picard beaming up the recently dead and seeing what Beverley could do about it. The implication was on some occasions that Beverley could revive them.
That was "Code of Honor."

In fact, our current definition of death is different from the past definition, because modern medical science allows reviving people later in the process than was once considered possible, at least when the conditions are right. Death isn't an on-off switch, but a gradual change of biological state, and as medicine improves, we gain the ability to halt and reverse the change further along in the process. So what looks like incurable death to a culture at a lower level of medical science can be reversible near-death to a more medically advanced one. That was the intent behind "Code of Honor" and "The Neutral Zone" -- they assumed this process that's already underway would continue to advance into the future. (Although I do feel "Zone" made it far too easy, showing Beverly completely curing all three corpsicles in a matter of minutes.)

Old September 16 2013, 06:52 PM   #9
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Mach5 wrote: View Post
Just off the top of my head, Seven used her nanoprobes to bring Neelix back to life once.
But only for that specific cell damage and that specific time frame. It wasn't a cure for everything.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 07:22 PM   #10
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Ben Maxwell wrote: View Post

By the time TNG rolled around?

How about in TOS, Season 1 - McCoy dead, is alive again by end of episode (cured off-camera by unnamed alien medical repairs which are probably not magic.)

Season 2 - Scotty dead, is cured by Nomad (method not specified, but dialogue strongly suggests not magic.)

Season 3 - Maybe Chekov only thought he was dead, but it was convincing to the others. Still, he got over it (cure uncertain, as death uncertain. Possibly magic.)

Death has never been an insurmountable obstacle in Star Trek, when the narrative called for things to be otherwise. Khan's augment blood, as a means to cure death by acute radiation poisoning? Psh, not really a problem.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 07:27 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer

^Not to mention the incredibly advanced medicine of the Fabrini and the Eymorgs' ancestors. Starfleet had access to both sets of medical databases, so you'd think their medical technology would've taken a quantum leap forward in the ensuing years.

Old September 16 2013, 07:30 PM   #12
M'Sharak

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Not to mention the incredibly advanced medicine of the Fabrini and the Eymorgs' ancestors. Starfleet had access to both sets of medical databases, so you'd think their medical technology would've taken a quantum leap forward in the ensuing years.
You'd think so, but those records are apparently still tied up in some cavernous warehouse at Starfleet Medical, where their Top Men are Working On It Now.
Old September 16 2013, 07:35 PM   #13
Kevman7987
Captain

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
...where their Top Men are Working On It Now.
"Who?!"
Old September 16 2013, 07:38 PM   #14
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
But only for that specific cell damage and that specific time frame. It wasn't a cure for everything.
The only reason it wasn't a cure for everything is because the writers' didn't want it to be a cure for everything. Plus, I must of missed the part of the movie where Khan's blood was used to cure everything.
Old September 16 2013, 07:52 PM   #15
M'Sharak

Kevman7987 wrote: View Post
M'Sharak wrote: View Post
...where their Top Men are Working On It Now.
"Who?!"
"Top... men."