Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 19 2013, 05:24 PM   #106
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: No More Wrath of Khan Homages

umichigan wrote: View Post
anh165 wrote: View Post
umichigan wrote: View Post

That's not a fair assessment IMHO. Abrams and the writers would have more credibility with me if they developed some original material for our traditional characters. It's the alternate timeline that sticks in my craw. Pre-TOS material could've been terrific on its own. Take the characters through the academy and their initial sojourns into space. Pike could've been the vehicle to tie it all together. Instead, we have to destroy 2 fundamental cultures (and their homes), kill off Kirk's father and ruin his childhood, in essence changing all the core events that created the Kirk and crew that we know AND have come to love. As I wrote in an earlier post, all Abrams has done is to turn everything upside down and call it art. Are you telling me that all of the character destruction was necessary to make Trek accessible to newer audiences? Rubbish.
What is shocking is you have a single minded idea of how Trek should be and that Paramount, Abrams, the writing staff should change the direction they took which made millions and entertained a much wider audience in order to please the minority.

Besides I find your alternative ideas of characterisation very typical of 1990's Trek obsession of self-indulgence and constant canon self reference.
The sure sign of a weak argument is when one of the participants resorts to a personal attack. Furthermore, your appeal to evidence by pointing out that millions were entertained, etc. is a classic straw man fallacy.
If you honestly believe that there has been a personal attack, then the thing for you to do would be to use the Notify Moderator button to bring attention to it, not to call it out in-thread.

I'd question the validity of the claim, though. If one endeavors to make a point by using language such as "X would have more credibility with me if... " and "it's Y that sticks in my craw," is it really a personal attack if the person responding to that language opines that "you have a single minded idea of how Z should be"?

I'm not so sure.

anh165 could probably stand to dial it back a notch himself, but I'd like you to try to keep this a friendly discussion and leave the "stern debate-class lecture" shtick for debate class. That tactic is one which has badly worn out its welcome here of late.
Old September 20 2013, 12:56 AM   #107
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

umichigan wrote:
Instead, we have to destroy 2 fundamental cultures (and their homes)
Of course, only one was destroyed in each timeline. ( And in the Prime timeline case it's only the capital of an empire that was destroyed, so the culture itself presumably lives on. )
Old September 20 2013, 01:16 AM   #108
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Set Harth wrote: View Post
umichigan wrote:
Of course, only one was destroyed in each timeline. ( And in the Prime timeline case it's only the capital of an empire that was destroyed, so the culture itself presumably lives on. )
Well, actually no cultures have been destroyed.

Romulus and Vulcan were/are storytelling tools, nothing more.
Old September 20 2013, 12:12 PM   #109
Yanks
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
umichigan wrote:
Well, actually no cultures have been destroyed.

Romulus and Vulcan were/are storytelling tools, nothing more.
Yeah. Only Nero's family was stupid enough to be on Romulus when the Sun went supernova... no warning there...

Lots of Vulcans and the Katric Arc made it off and are on "new Vulcan".