RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,627
Posts: 5,426,859
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 598
Newest member: Rom

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 18 2013, 12:03 PM   #61
Mach5
Rear Admiral
 
Mach5's Avatar
 
Re: No More Wrath of Khan Homages

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Why can't SOMEONE make a homage to another popular Trek film. Such as TVH.
They wanted to, but Adele wasn't available.
__________________
"Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines."
― Bertrand Russell
Mach5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 12:13 PM   #62
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: No More Wrath of Khan Homages

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Yanks wrote: View Post
..and we're all supposed to line up and praise this thing because it made money...
I praise it because both the critics and public at large thought it was the best blockbuster of the summer
So you only like because other people do?
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 12:24 PM   #63
Yanks
Fleet Captain
 
Yanks's Avatar
 
Location: NX01 Bridge
Re: No More Wrath of Khan Homages

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Yanks wrote: View Post
..and we're all supposed to line up and praise this thing because it made money...
I praise it because both the critics and public at large thought it was the best blockbuster of the summer. Any monetary considerations are icing on the cake.
Hmmm.... I like or dislike something because I like or dislike it. I don't really care what "the critics" say.
__________________
We have to learn again that science without contact with experiments is an enterprise which is likely to go completely astray into imaginary conjecture.”
- Evolution of the Solar System, NASA 1976, H. Alfvén & G, Arrhenius, p. 257.
Yanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 12:39 PM   #64
Mach5
Rear Admiral
 
Mach5's Avatar
 
Re: No More Wrath of Khan Homages

Yanks wrote: View Post
Hmmm.... I like or dislike something because I like or dislike it. I don't really care what "the critics" say.
I read reviews because I appreciate different perspectives, but I too like to make up my own mind. Just like I made my mind about Bridesmaids 45 minutes in when I decided that this critically acclaimed pile of unfunny already killed too many of my brain cells and pressed the stop button.
__________________
"Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines."
― Bertrand Russell
Mach5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 01:16 PM   #65
umichigan
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Re: No More Wrath of Khan Homages

In the past I've spoken up on this forum regarding my disdain for Abrams and his whole reboot concept. I continue to fail when attempting to find any real talent there, on the contrary, I continue to see more and more hype. The guy lacks originality. Roddenberry, for all his faults, created Star Trek out of fresh ideas built on previous success (putting the popular westerns of the time in a new venue). Abrams has NO new ideas, just rehash of the old (even the lens flares are old, it's just that most directors attempted to avoid camera aberrations that exposed the medium to the audience, breaking the third wall as it were). He turns canon on its head, that's all. That doesn't take talent for anything other than the ability to manipulate the expectations of others. When perusing the comments of this thread it's deja vu all over again, "how can we redo movie whatever?" "How can we use the Klingons, Borg, Dominion, Phineas and Ferb?" "Maybe Sulu should have a crush on Chekov." etc. I'll be impressed with Abrams if he ever develops a truly original idea regarding Trek. It can happen. Q, the Borg, DS9 are all examples of original and good ideas that developed into canon. When Abrams or any of the writers can find a way to bring new life to Trek without resurrecting characters or concepts then they can be said to have made a truly original contribution.
Thus ended the rant...
__________________
"Some drink from the fountain of knowledge; others just gargle."
Also, I am reminded of the immortal words of Socrates who said, "I drank what?"
umichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 01:18 PM   #66
Mach5
Rear Admiral
 
Mach5's Avatar
 
Re: No More Wrath of Khan Homages

umichigan wrote: View Post
Roddenberry, for all his faults, created Star Trek out of fresh ideas
You've never seen Forbidden Planet, have you? Or read Hornblower for that matter.
__________________
"Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines."
― Bertrand Russell
Mach5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 01:30 PM   #67
umichigan
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Re: No More Wrath of Khan Homages

Mach5 wrote: View Post
umichigan wrote: View Post
Roddenberry, for all his faults, created Star Trek out of fresh ideas
You've never seen Forbidden Planet, have you? Or read Hornblower for that matter.
Don't take quotes out of context for the convenience of your argument. What did I write IMMEDIATELY after what you hand picked for your response?
__________________
"Some drink from the fountain of knowledge; others just gargle."
Also, I am reminded of the immortal words of Socrates who said, "I drank what?"
umichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 01:34 PM   #68
Mach5
Rear Admiral
 
Mach5's Avatar
 
Re: No More Wrath of Khan Homages

umichigan wrote: View Post
What did I write IMMEDIATELY after what you hand picked for your response?
Something about westerns.
__________________
"Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines."
― Bertrand Russell
Mach5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 01:38 PM   #69
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: No More Wrath of Khan Homages

umichigan wrote: View Post
Mach5 wrote: View Post
umichigan wrote: View Post
Roddenberry, for all his faults, created Star Trek out of fresh ideas
You've never seen Forbidden Planet, have you? Or read Hornblower for that matter.
Don't take quotes out of context for the convenience of your argument. What did I write IMMEDIATELY after what you hand picked for your response?
Someone needs to go watch Forbidden Planet.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 02:15 PM   #70
umichigan
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Re: No More Wrath of Khan Homages

BillJ wrote: View Post
umichigan wrote: View Post
Mach5 wrote: View Post
You've never seen Forbidden Planet, have you? Or read Hornblower for that matter.
Don't take quotes out of context for the convenience of your argument. What did I write IMMEDIATELY after what you hand picked for your response?
Someone needs to go watch Forbidden Planet.
Been there, done that, currently using the t-shirt to wash my car.
__________________
"Some drink from the fountain of knowledge; others just gargle."
Also, I am reminded of the immortal words of Socrates who said, "I drank what?"
umichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 02:58 PM   #71
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: No More Wrath of Khan Homages

umichigan wrote: View Post

Been there, done that, currently using the t-shirt to wash my car.
The safest thing to say is that Roddenberry didn't create Star Trek in a vacuum.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 03:16 PM   #72
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: No More Wrath of Khan Homages

BillJ wrote: View Post
umichigan wrote: View Post

Been there, done that, currently using the t-shirt to wash my car.
The safest thing to say is that Roddenberry didn't create Star Trek in a vacuum.
Or maybe a vaccuum is exactly where he created it. He sucked up a little Forbidden Planet, a little Horatio Hornblower, a little bit of Westerns and threw in skimpy outfits on alien babes
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 03:18 PM   #73
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: No More Wrath of Khan Homages

Sindatur wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
umichigan wrote: View Post

Been there, done that, currently using the t-shirt to wash my car.
The safest thing to say is that Roddenberry didn't create Star Trek in a vacuum.
Or maybe a vaccuum is exactly where he created it. He sucked up a little Forbidden Planet, a little Horatio Hornblower, a little bit of Westerns and threw in skimpy outfits on alien babes
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 03:22 PM   #74
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: No More Wrath of Khan Homages

umichigan wrote: View Post
In the past I've spoken up on this forum regarding my disdain for Abrams and his whole reboot concept. I continue to fail when attempting to find any real talent there, on the contrary, I continue to see more and more hype. The guy lacks originality. Roddenberry, for all his faults, created Star Trek out of fresh ideas built on previous success (putting the popular westerns of the time in a new venue). Abrams has NO new ideas, just rehash of the old (even the lens flares are old, it's just that most directors attempted to avoid camera aberrations that exposed the medium to the audience, breaking the third wall as it were). He turns canon on its head, that's all. That doesn't take talent for anything other than the ability to manipulate the expectations of others. When perusing the comments of this thread it's deja vu all over again, "how can we redo movie whatever?" "How can we use the Klingons, Borg, Dominion, Phineas and Ferb?" "Maybe Sulu should have a crush on Chekov." etc. I'll be impressed with Abrams if he ever develops a truly original idea regarding Trek. It can happen. Q, the Borg, DS9 are all examples of original and good ideas that developed into canon. When Abrams or any of the writers can find a way to bring new life to Trek without resurrecting characters or concepts then they can be said to have made a truly original contribution.
Thus ended the rant...
Wait, Roddenberry was king of recycling. The Motion Picture was a remake of The Changling, Riker and Troi were refried Decker and Illia, Q was Trelane and the second episode of TNG was a blantant remake of a TOS episode.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 03:30 PM   #75
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: No More Wrath of Khan Homages

Roddenberry did it out of artistic integrity. Abrams does it because he's a hack.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.