Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 17 2013, 03:03 AM   #16
Christopher
Writer

Re: The Worlds End movie

I happened to catch Hot Fuzz on BBC America just a week or two before I saw TWE, but I've only seen Shaun in its entirety once and that was at least a number of months ago. I remember finding it very clever, but I don't like zombie movies much so I doubt it'll ever be a favorite. At some point, though, I am going to want to watch all three in succession.

It's interesting how they're all in different genres, but they all have a common theme (and this is a bit of a spoiler for Hot Fuzz) of the protagonists being surrounded by the enemy, having to fight against the whole community. And although only two of them have paranormal elements, I guess they do all count as horror of one form or another -- supernatural horror for SotD, slasher horror for HF, and science fiction horror for TWE.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 07:07 AM   #17
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Not to mention the Cornetto connection, which is easy to miss in World's End.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 07:42 AM   #18
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

Snick27 wrote: View Post
Domestic: $23,986,000 58.7%
+ Foreign: $16,900,000 41.3%
=Worldwide: $40,886,000

Production Budget: $20 million

Ending part with Gary in the bars with his new gang made me feel Gary didn't grow up and was still trying to live in the past.

Movie was very funny and to me a lot better than any of the Hangover movies.
Shame more people don't go see this, as on a Saturday night only 4 other people where in the theater and a older couple was there too but walked out about 15 mins into the movie.
I couldn't catch it on opening night like I wanted to, so I had to wait a week.THE MOVIE THEATER I FAVOR COULDN'T BE BOTHERED TO RUN TWE FOR A FULL WEEK, BUT COULD SHOW THAT F*CKING ONE DIRECTION MOVIE ON 3 SCREENS! Needless to say, I won't be returning to that theater. >.>
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 06:58 PM   #19
crookeddy
Fleet Captain

Snick27 wrote: View Post
Domestic: $23,986,000 58.7%
+ Foreign: $16,900,000 41.3%
=Worldwide: $40,886,000

Production Budget: $20 million

Ending part with Gary in the bars with his new gang made me feel Gary didn't grow up and was still trying to live in the past.

Movie was very funny and to me a lot better than any of the Hangover movies.
Shame more people don't go see this, as on a Saturday night only 4 other people where in the theater and a older couple was there too but walked out about 15 mins into the movie.
I saw it in hipsterville (Silverlake, Los Angeles) in a super packed large movie theater that I've never seen sold out before (not even for Avengers). It was an amazing experience...
crookeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 01:28 PM   #20
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

I saw it last night and liked it a lot. My (admittedly quite small) theater was completely sold out and the crowd was clearly having a blast.

Perhaps the greatest thing about The World's End is that its first third, which features just the barest hint of the sci-fi elements, is so brilliant in its nuanced and hilarious portrayal of the movie's protagonists that I wouldn't have minded to just continue watching *that* movie. But that doesn't mean I liked the movie it becomes after the sudden genre shift any less. There are lots of cool visuals, excellent fight and chase scenes, and yet, the brilliantly acted characters and their inner lives never fade into the background. The World's End is a poignant coming of middle age story, an inventive sci-fi yarn, and an utterly hilarious comedy all in one, and can easily stand toe-to-toe with its two Cornetto Trilogy predecessors.

9/10

Last edited by AvBaur; September 21 2013 at 01:48 PM.
AvBaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 01:57 AM   #21
Snick27
Captain

Update:

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic: $25,309,000 58.7%
+ Foreign: $17,800,000 41.3%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= Worldwide: $43,109,000