RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,717
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 586
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 8 2013, 11:27 AM   #46
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Haven Season 4 (Spoilers)

I'm still watching religiously, too, but I'm really engaged by the whole thing. I was kind of upset when Sheriff Carter turned out to be a bad guy, but I'm amazed at how well he plays that role-- talk about a character you love to hate.

The mysteries they've set up are very intriguing, and they keep giving us more information without answering anything. That's fine as long as they don't pull a Lost on us. It seems that William and Audrey are mad scientists or sorcerers from another dimension who decided to torment Haven for their own amusement-- due to the time differential, this has been going on for centuries. Agent Howard seems to represent another faction, maybe that world's law enforcement. Who knows? But I can't wait to find out.

As far as the other characters' seeming lack of curiosity, that's a fair point. But, on the other hand, these people are already steeped in weirdness, and their main priority is dealing with an escalating crisis.

The ratings, as far as I know, are stable compared to last year. Given that and Sciffy's history, I'm fairly confident that we'll get one more year. They may be setting up this year's finale to work as a series finale just in case, but I'm cautiously optimistic.
Old December 8 2013, 05:55 PM   #47
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

All fair points.

I think I'm worried about them going Lost on us. The more convoluted the mythology gets, the harder it is to weave it all back together into a coherent narrative.

If Agent Howard was a cop (or some such authority) from their world/dimension/whatever, then why was he Jennifer's adoption agent? And then now they just casually throw in the fact that Dave was adopted too? Hmm...

I do like how creepy and evil Sheriff Carter is. Excellent considering how effortlessly good he was in Eureka. But I think it's going on too long. JMHO.

Hopefully we'll get a solid finale before the long wait until next season.
ďThere is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.Ē - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2013, 10:57 PM   #48
propita
Rear Admiral

1001001 wrote: View Post
propita wrote: View Post
I'm still watching, but really disliking whatever they've done. I like Duke's gf, that was fine. But the whole William thing....no matter how much I like the actor, and it's obvious he's trying to make something of the role, if the role and plot are so badly written, how much can he save it?
I agree, but we don't even know what's really going on. They've stretched this thing out so long...what is the deal? I asked earlier, what are they? Aliens? Pranksters from another dimension? Mischievous Gods? The lack of curiosity on the part of the other characters seems really strange to me.

I am still enjoying the series, don't get me wrong. I'm really hoping this all has a payoff.
I said I was watching, I didnít say I was enjoying.

Duke and his gf are more interesting to me than any of the others. Thatís kinda not good for the show. I mean, Duke IS a primary character, but...he shouldnít be the main reason to watch. Iím not watching for his looks, but because right now, heís the most interesting--and thatís not the main plot line.

How sad that the writers lost their way. Youíd think that show creators would have a general outline of the primary plot, the primary characters, what must happen, what must not happen (what must not happen to a character or what they must not say/do because itíll screw the primary plot).
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 04:40 AM   #49
Velocity
Rear Admiral

I really expected Audrey to put her hand on William at the end. Give HIM a trouble. I wonder if that is possible. Of course, she would be giving one to herself too...
Old December 9 2013, 05:34 AM   #50
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

They are immune and clearly not human.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2013, 10:24 AM   #51
RJDiogenes

They are definitely Human, since Audrey had a child with Nathan, but they are also immune-- they have to touch the Trouble Balls to use them.
Old December 9 2013, 10:41 PM   #52
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Flesh suits.

Do I really have to say that they are clearly extra dimensional beings?

Old December 9 2013, 11:35 PM   #53
Aragorn
Admiral

1001001 wrote: View Post
I'm still watching, but really disliking whatever they've done. I like Duke's gf, that was fine. But the whole William thing....no matter how much I like the actor, and it's obvious he's trying to make something of the role, if the role and plot are so badly written, how much can he save it?
I agree, but we don't even know what's really going on. They've stretched this thing out so long...what is the deal? I asked earlier, what are they? Aliens? Pranksters from another dimension? Mischievous Gods? The lack of curiosity on the part of the other characters seems really strange to me.

I am still enjoying the series, don't get me wrong. I'm really hoping this all has a payoff.
I said I was watching, I didnít say I was enjoying.

Duke and his gf are more interesting to me than any of the others. Thatís kinda not good for the show. I mean, Duke IS a primary character, but...he shouldnít be the main reason to watch. Iím not watching for his looks, but because right now, heís the most interesting--and thatís not the main plot line.

How sad that the writers lost their way. Youíd think that show creators would have a general outline of the primary plot, the primary characters, what must happen, what must not happen (what must not happen to a character or what they must not say/do because itíll screw the primary plot).
The writing on Haven has always been mediocre to poor. It's the chemistry of the three leads that keeps the show afloat. How they react to the troubles is interesting, but the troubles themselves are putrid.
Aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2013, 01:40 AM   #54
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

They should have dropped the troubles in the third episode, and continued on as a massively successful romantic melodrama.

Old December 10 2013, 10:27 AM   #55
RJDiogenes

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Flesh suits.

Do I really have to say that they are clearly extra dimensional beings?
Flesh suits don't have chromosomes. Humans have simply been migrating back and forth between the dimensions, and there are civilizations on both sides. Hopefully. Otherwise it would be pretty stupid.
Old December 10 2013, 05:10 PM   #56
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Why do you think flesh suits don't have chromosomes?

Hers does, otherwise making babies would be quite difficult.

Old December 10 2013, 05:16 PM   #57
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I long ago decided that HAVEN operates on dream-logic. Expecting it to make sense of it is just asking for for Trouble . . . .
Old December 10 2013, 11:54 PM   #58
propita
Rear Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I long ago decided that HAVEN operates on dream-logic. Expecting it to make sense of it is just asking for for Trouble . . . .
I see what you did there.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 10:38 AM   #59
RJDiogenes

I guess my Trouble is that I expect Haven to at least make more sense than V: The Series.
Old December 11 2013, 05:43 PM   #60
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

So William isn't there for our water?