RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,875
Posts: 5,329,022
Members: 24,556
Currently online: 610
Newest member: EvyR55

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 16 2013, 02:33 AM   #106
SeerSGB
Admiral
 
SeerSGB's Avatar
 
Location: Tennessee
Re: STID's plot holes unrivaled?

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
OK I liked STID so I'm not being a hater but I really can't understand the whole business of the 72 missiles.
1. Why would Marcus (if he knew) let the 72 other augments (possibly valuable weapons) out of his hands into Kirks? There's just too much chance IMO that Kirk isn't going to fire all 72 missiles, that Kirk's ship will be captured by the Klingons, that Khan will get access. I'm not even saying this in hindsight.
2.Targetting - presumably these 'special' long range missiles are being used because basically the Enterprise is going to be light years away from their target. Then how are they going to aim? How can they be sure that Khan will be hit? Were they just going to hit the backside of the planet and hope for the best?
3. When Kirk told Khan that he was going to try to capture him (why oh why would you do that?) did he just broadcastit to the entire planet. Bombard every radio station or what - can they broadcast to the wind?

I'd appreciate any real or fanboy explanations.
The rest of the 'plotholes' I can live with.
Marcus probably wasn't overly picky about targetting. Remember, his whole goal was to piss off the Klingons enough to get a war out of them.
__________________
- SeerSGB -
Good men don't need rules, The Doctor (A Good Man Goes To War)
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 03:42 AM   #107
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey Falls
Re: STID's plot holes unrivaled?

When Kirk told Khan that he was going to try to capture him (why oh why would you do that?) did he just broadcastit to the entire planet. Bombard every radio station or what - can they broadcast to the wind?
They said it was a targeted transmission, for whatever that's worth.
__________________
"In the future... do I make it?"
"No."
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 03:47 AM   #108
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself
 
Awesome Possum's Avatar
 
Location: Someplace Shiny
View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum
Re: STID's plot holes unrivaled?

ITT: People who don't know what plot holes are and didn't pay attention to the movie.
__________________
"Libertarianism is a good idea on paper, until you look at it."
Greg Proops, The Smartest Man in the World
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 03:56 AM   #109
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
Re: STID's plot holes unrivaled?

Except weren't the fuel cells replaced by the cryotubes? How could the torpedoes gone anywhere?
__________________
* * *
"If you wanted to get a good meeting... just go in and
say 'darker, grittier, sexier' and whatever."
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 07:00 AM   #110
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain
 
CommishSleer's Avatar
 
Location: Way back of nowhere
View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: STID's plot holes unrivaled?

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Marcus probably wasn't overly picky about targetting. Remember, his whole goal was to piss off the Klingons enough to get a war out of them.
I just don't get that Marcus would think a man who violated the Prime Directive to save a pre-Warp planet is going to fire indiscriminantly at a planet. Them going in disguise in Mudd's shuttle shows that they realised there was a possibility of Klingons being there.


So is Marcus thinking Kirk's just so much a hothead he'll follow bad orders blindly.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 07:01 AM   #111
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain
 
CommishSleer's Avatar
 
Location: Way back of nowhere
View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: STID's plot holes unrivaled?

Sorry Double Post
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 10:19 AM   #112
Mountie1988
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: STID's plot holes unrivaled?

Maurice wrote: View Post
Except weren't the fuel cells replaced by the cryotubes? How could the torpedoes gone anywhere?
Momentum. But that would have taken years.
Mountie1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 10:21 AM   #113
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: STID's plot holes unrivaled?

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
That whole sequence is Khan grasping at straws, and that's after you include all the assumptions on his part.

Beaming Kirk up and water boarding (or whatever) him for the rest of his life would be a far worse fate. Not to mention an endless source of joy for Khan himself.
I don't know. Seemed like a poetic revenge to me.
__________________
And that's my opinion.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 10:39 AM   #114
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: STID's plot holes unrivaled?

Ln X wrote: View Post
Three cheers also for Abram's apologists!
Abrams didn't write the screenplay, but thanks for confirming your bias.

I and quite a few fans are ahead of the curve you see, we know where this trainwreck is going and we understand why Star Trek is -- at this moment -- creatively bankrupt.


You need to get over the thought that you know better than everybody else, I think.

Ln X wrote: View Post
The first group appears rather happy with what is a rather average, at best, movie.
No, that is you PROJECTING your opinion onto others.

Ln X wrote: View Post
I have seen all the Trek films and I'm making general comparisons. I've got the story synopsis on Memory Alpha to check some of the finer nuances and Trek Core to watch particular scenes we are all discussing about.
Oh, my.

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Oh, I dunno, forgetting that you have 70 odd magic blood men sitting right there whilst you risk life and limb chasing after Khan is pretty spectacular.
We've been over this before, Shazam. Do you read other people's posts ?
__________________
And that's my opinion.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 12:28 PM   #115
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: STID's plot holes unrivaled?

Belz... wrote: View Post
We've been over this before, Shazam. Do you read other people's posts ?
I'm fairly sure everything in this thread has 'been over before' somewhere on this board.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 12:50 PM   #116
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Disguised as Reb Bad Thoughts
Re: STID's plot holes unrivaled?

Didn't the engines cut out after the explosion of the torpedoes, which caused the ship to fall to Earth (not to mention that a shockwave in space would be depleted because of the lack of atmosphere, not creating anywhere near the same force, or that the Enterprise falls in manner contradictory to physics)?
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 01:14 PM   #117
bullethead
Fleet Captain
 
bullethead's Avatar
 
Re: STID's plot holes unrivaled?

Bad thoughts wrote: View Post
Didn't the engines cut out after the explosion of the torpedoes, which caused the ship to fall to Earth (not to mention that a shockwave in space would be depleted because of the lack of atmosphere, not creating anywhere near the same force, or that the Enterprise falls in manner contradictory to physics)?
They didn't have engines at that point. Spock says that they couldn't run around the time Kirk decides to team up with Khan and space jump to the ship.
__________________
A business man and engineer discuss how to launch a communications satellite in the 1960s:
Biz Dev Guy: Your communications satellite has to be the size, shape, and weight of a hydrogen bomb.
bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 01:24 PM   #118
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Disguised as Reb Bad Thoughts
Re: STID's plot holes unrivaled?

bullethead wrote: View Post
Bad thoughts wrote: View Post
Didn't the engines cut out after the explosion of the torpedoes, which caused the ship to fall to Earth (not to mention that a shockwave in space would be depleted because of the lack of atmosphere, not creating anywhere near the same force, or that the Enterprise falls in manner contradictory to physics)?
They didn't have engines at that point. Spock says that they couldn't run around the time Kirk decides to team up with Khan and space jump to the ship.
Spock specifically said they hadn't the power to flee. Not being able to run is not the same thing as having no engines with which to stabilize their orbit. Starships have three types of engines: warp, impulse, and thrusters. (Let's ignore for now that thrusters would require chemical propellant, not a quantum source of power.) The first two might be expected as a tool for retreat, but not the third. Their fall was brought about specifically by the loss of power: what instrument was keeping them afloat at the low altitude of 200,000 km up to that point?
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 01:35 PM   #119
Mountie1988
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: STID's plot holes unrivaled?

Bad thoughts wrote: View Post
bullethead wrote: View Post
Bad thoughts wrote: View Post
Didn't the engines cut out after the explosion of the torpedoes, which caused the ship to fall to Earth (not to mention that a shockwave in space would be depleted because of the lack of atmosphere, not creating anywhere near the same force, or that the Enterprise falls in manner contradictory to physics)?
They didn't have engines at that point. Spock says that they couldn't run around the time Kirk decides to team up with Khan and space jump to the ship.
Spock specifically said they hadn't the power to flee. Not being able to run is not the same thing as having no engines with which to stabilize their orbit. Starships have three types of engines: warp, impulse, and thrusters. (Let's ignore for now that thrusters would require chemical propellant, not a quantum source of power.) The first two might be expected as a tool for retreat, but not the third. Their fall was brought about specifically by the loss of power: what instrument was keeping them afloat at the low altitude of 200,000 km up to that point?
Driver Coils. (-_-)
Mountie1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 06:30 PM   #120
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: STID's plot holes unrivaled?

Belz... wrote: View Post
Ln X wrote: View Post
Three cheers also for Abram's apologists!
Abrams didn't write the screenplay, but thanks for confirming your bias.
Ln X wrote: View Post
I and quite a few fans are ahead of the curve you see, we know where this trainwreck is going and we understand why Star Trek is -- at this moment -- creatively bankrupt.

You need to get over the thought that you know better than everybody else, I think.
Ln X wrote: View Post
The first group appears rather happy with what is a rather average, at best, movie.
No, that is you PROJECTING your opinion onto others.
Ln X wrote: View Post
I have seen all the Trek films and I'm making general comparisons. I've got the story synopsis on Memory Alpha to check some of the finer nuances and Trek Core to watch particular scenes we are all discussing about.
Oh, my.
None of that needed to be dredged up again, and particularly not for purposes of taking the poster to task. Don't make it personal.

Belz... wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post
Oh, I dunno, forgetting that you have 70 odd magic blood men sitting right there whilst you risk life and limb chasing after Khan is pretty spectacular.
We've been over this before, Shazam. Do you read other people's posts ?
Same applies here - it's addressing the poster instead of discussing the movie, and advances the discussion not at all.
__________________
Dinosaurs are just really, really big chickens.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.