Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 16 2013, 02:33 AM   #106
SeerSGB
Admiral

Re: STID's plot holes unrivaled?

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
OK I liked STID so I'm not being a hater but I really can't understand the whole business of the 72 missiles.
1. Why would Marcus (if he knew) let the 72 other augments (possibly valuable weapons) out of his hands into Kirks? There's just too much chance IMO that Kirk isn't going to fire all 72 missiles, that Kirk's ship will be captured by the Klingons, that Khan will get access. I'm not even saying this in hindsight.
2.Targetting - presumably these 'special' long range missiles are being used because basically the Enterprise is going to be light years away from their target. Then how are they going to aim? How can they be sure that Khan will be hit? Were they just going to hit the backside of the planet and hope for the best?
3. When Kirk told Khan that he was going to try to capture him (why oh why would you do that?) did he just broadcastit to the entire planet. Bombard every radio station or what - can they broadcast to the wind?

I'd appreciate any real or fanboy explanations.
The rest of the 'plotholes' I can live with.
Marcus probably wasn't overly picky about targetting. Remember, his whole goal was to piss off the Klingons enough to get a war out of them.
Old September 16 2013, 03:42 AM   #107
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

When Kirk told Khan that he was going to try to capture him (why oh why would you do that?) did he just broadcastit to the entire planet. Bombard every radio station or what - can they broadcast to the wind?
They said it was a targeted transmission, for whatever that's worth.
Old September 16 2013, 03:47 AM   #108
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

ITT: People who don't know what plot holes are and didn't pay attention to the movie.
Old September 16 2013, 03:56 AM   #109
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Except weren't the fuel cells replaced by the cryotubes? How could the torpedoes gone anywhere?
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 07:00 AM   #110
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Marcus probably wasn't overly picky about targetting. Remember, his whole goal was to piss off the Klingons enough to get a war out of them.
I just don't get that Marcus would think a man who violated the Prime Directive to save a pre-Warp planet is going to fire indiscriminantly at a planet. Them going in disguise in Mudd's shuttle shows that they realised there was a possibility of Klingons being there.

So is Marcus thinking Kirk's just so much a hothead he'll follow bad orders blindly.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 07:01 AM   #111
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Sorry Double Post
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 10:19 AM   #112
Mountie1988
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maurice wrote: View Post
Except weren't the fuel cells replaced by the cryotubes? How could the torpedoes gone anywhere?
Momentum. But that would have taken years.
Mountie1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 10:21 AM   #113
Belz...
Fleet Captain

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
That whole sequence is Khan grasping at straws, and that's after you include all the assumptions on his part.

Beaming Kirk up and water boarding (or whatever) him for the rest of his life would be a far worse fate. Not to mention an endless source of joy for Khan himself.
I don't know. Seemed like a poetic revenge to me.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 10:39 AM   #114
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Ln X wrote: View Post
Three cheers also for Abram's apologists!
Abrams didn't write the screenplay, but thanks for confirming your bias.

I and quite a few fans are ahead of the curve you see, we know where this trainwreck is going and we understand why Star Trek is -- at this moment -- creatively bankrupt.

You need to get over the thought that you know better than everybody else, I think.

The first group appears rather happy with what is a rather average, at best, movie.
No, that is you PROJECTING your opinion onto others.

I have seen all the Trek films and I'm making general comparisons. I've got the story synopsis on Memory Alpha to check some of the finer nuances and Trek Core to watch particular scenes we are all discussing about.
Oh, my.

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Oh, I dunno, forgetting that you have 70 odd magic blood men sitting right there whilst you risk life and limb chasing after Khan is pretty spectacular.
We've been over this before, Shazam. Do you read other people's posts ?

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 12:28 PM   #115
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
I'm fairly sure everything in this thread has 'been over before' somewhere on this board.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 12:50 PM   #116
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Didn't the engines cut out after the explosion of the torpedoes, which caused the ship to fall to Earth (not to mention that a shockwave in space would be depleted because of the lack of atmosphere, not creating anywhere near the same force, or that the Enterprise falls in manner contradictory to physics)?
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 01:14 PM   #117
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Bad thoughts wrote: View Post
Didn't the engines cut out after the explosion of the torpedoes, which caused the ship to fall to Earth (not to mention that a shockwave in space would be depleted because of the lack of atmosphere, not creating anywhere near the same force, or that the Enterprise falls in manner contradictory to physics)?
They didn't have engines at that point. Spock says that they couldn't run around the time Kirk decides to team up with Khan and space jump to the ship.
Old September 16 2013, 01:24 PM   #118
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

bullethead wrote: View Post
They didn't have engines at that point. Spock says that they couldn't run around the time Kirk decides to team up with Khan and space jump to the ship.
Spock specifically said they hadn't the power to flee. Not being able to run is not the same thing as having no engines with which to stabilize their orbit. Starships have three types of engines: warp, impulse, and thrusters. (Let's ignore for now that thrusters would require chemical propellant, not a quantum source of power.) The first two might be expected as a tool for retreat, but not the third. Their fall was brought about specifically by the loss of power: what instrument was keeping them afloat at the low altitude of 200,000 km up to that point?
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 01:35 PM   #119
Mountie1988
Lieutenant Junior Grade

bullethead wrote: View Post
Spock specifically said they hadn't the power to flee. Not being able to run is not the same thing as having no engines with which to stabilize their orbit. Starships have three types of engines: warp, impulse, and thrusters. (Let's ignore for now that thrusters would require chemical propellant, not a quantum source of power.) The first two might be expected as a tool for retreat, but not the third. Their fall was brought about specifically by the loss of power: what instrument was keeping them afloat at the low altitude of 200,000 km up to that point?
Driver Coils. (-_-)
Mountie1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 06:30 PM   #120
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Three cheers also for Abram's apologists!
Abrams didn't write the screenplay, but thanks for confirming your bias.
I and quite a few fans are ahead of the curve you see, we know where this trainwreck is going and we understand why Star Trek is -- at this moment -- creatively bankrupt.

You need to get over the thought that you know better than everybody else, I think.
The first group appears rather happy with what is a rather average, at best, movie.
No, that is you PROJECTING your opinion onto others.
I have seen all the Trek films and I'm making general comparisons. I've got the story synopsis on Memory Alpha to check some of the finer nuances and Trek Core to watch particular scenes we are all discussing about.
Oh, my.
None of that needed to be dredged up again, and particularly not for purposes of taking the poster to task. Don't make it personal.

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Oh, I dunno, forgetting that you have 70 odd magic blood men sitting right there whilst you risk life and limb chasing after Khan is pretty spectacular.
Same applies here - it's addressing the poster instead of discussing the movie, and advances the discussion not at all.