CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 20 2013, 09:45 PM   #106
billcosby
Commodore

Re: Boardwalk Empire - Season 4 Discussion Thread

Oh, shit! The Pinkertons. There's a curve ball.
Either they are writing her out or she's got an ever bigger role coming.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 04:01 AM   #107
Warped9
Admiral

Gillian is toast. But I was really hoping Richard would make it. Bummer.

Good on Narcisse, but I had hoped for something nastier for him. Too bad about Chalky's daughter. And now Chalky is out in the wilderness where his buddy Louis Gossett Jr. was.
Old November 25 2013, 04:11 AM   #108
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, shame on Richard. He was one of my favourite characters. And yeah, I agree about Narcisse. I think he got away too easily. Also, that was quite a fight between Eli and the agent.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 04:22 AM   #109
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Good that Eli is now in Chicago, although living here I really never consider myself "outwest" I am sure that Narcisse will end up playing a role next season. Torrio's hit was accurate enough for me as well. Not a bad season ender as things go but Not a lot left dangling for next season.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 05:03 AM   #110
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Speaking of Eli, maybe he'll become part of Capone's gang? Seems that they were telegraphing that.
Old November 25 2013, 09:33 AM   #111
Capt. Vulcan
Vice Admiral

Eh, I was not satisfied with the ending on many fronts. After all this set-up it sort of just ends in a jumbled mess.

Harrow was one of my favorite characters, did they really need to make him kill an innocent before going out? Just thinking about how much anguish he must have felt in his final moments knowing that he killed the wrong person. Another great Eli/Nucky showdown but then the son kind of just drops in and it all falls apart. Now Nucky is sending him to Cicero and is coincidentally being picked up by Mueller. Chalky confronts Nucky but it gets resolved off screen. Chalky and Narcisse get a showdown, but then not really. They talk for a bit but Chalky is probably stalling Narcisse to set up the shot. But then it gets interrupted in the end with the shot anyways. It almost feels like they set this all up because they thought Chalky would be a more interesting character without his family. All that set up with Gillian and the pinkerton and we get a two minute trial that gets resolved with Gillian going to jail for contempt and Harrow asking Nucky for the location of Jimmy's body. The assassination attempt was good, but then that thread ends with a scene with Torrio just telling Capone to take everything. Nucky gets picked up by the feds, the next we see him he's just chatting with his nephew.

It almost feels like they decided to go a completely different direction and as a result just ended the storylines as quickly as possible while getting the characters wherever they're supposed to be for next season.
Old November 25 2013, 11:14 AM   #112
Gov Karnstein
Admiral

Torrio and Capone went down pretty much as seen. As for the rest, this does feel like half way through a season finale. Too many plots were going on this season which could have been left alone. Richard, Gillian, and Tommy could have been dropped completely at the end of three, or finished up in a tidy knot in the first few episodes rather than this and given more play to the other stories. Margaret was completely wasted and may as well not have been here. I hope that gets better used next year. And Chalky and Narcisse need a real and final show down.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Karnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 07:11 PM   #113
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

As my friend said over on Facebook this morning:

GOD SPEED Richard Harrow, you strange, misunderstood, lovable freak weirdo. The original YOLO.

Last edited by doubleohfive; November 26 2013 at 02:14 AM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 07:43 PM   #114
lurok
Commodore

Richard's fate was predictable, but still welled up a little . I was just wondering if we'd ever seen actor's pre-war face when that last beautiful shot in dream came up.

Pretty much bummed out by series now and had small fantasy it might well be time to bid adieu to loved ones (Nucky retires to Cuba, Margaret settles down in NY) and next season a spin-off series focussed principally on Chicago, where the three remaining best characters are now.
Old November 25 2013, 07:50 PM   #115
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, too much was going on this season, and as a result, they had to deal with closing a lot of plot threads this finale, which while OK in general, made it feel rather uneven and unsatisfying since everything had to be done rather quickly. Would have made more sense to close some of them in earlier episodes. In general, I didn't find this season as engaging as the last.
Old November 25 2013, 08:06 PM   #116
Warped9
Admiral

Well Gillian gets royally screwed. With Jimmy's body now on hand that establishes he didn't die in her bath tub. It'll likely be the chair (or whatever) for her.

It'll have to be explained why and how Nucky was going about his business and not going to cuba after he was picked up at the train station. And I hope Chalky isn't gone for good.
Old November 25 2013, 09:39 PM   #117
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

I'm sorry to see Richard go.
I enjoyed series 3 final a lot more than series 4.
There was too much going on it did not really seem like a series final.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 09:55 PM   #118
billcosby
Commodore

Christ, I thought there was one more episode this season after this!! Fuckity-fuck-fuk.
I can't share my opinions... gotta watch it one more time, this time as a season finale.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 09:03 AM   #119
Warped9
Admiral

So from what I can gather Chalky and Narcisse aren't done with each other yet for Season 5. Gillian isn't done yet either. And Margaret will be coming back.
Old November 26 2013, 02:50 PM   #120
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

How many of the cast remain in Atlantic City now? Assuming Gillian is going to prison and wont be in season 5, that leaves Nucky, Willy, and Mickey. More major characters are now in NYC or Chicago individually than in Atlantic City. Weird.

Richard's death is one of those situations where it sucks to be right. That being said...

Capt. Vulcan wrote: View Post
Harrow was one of my favorite characters, did they really need to make him kill an innocent before going out? Just thinking about how much anguish he must have felt in his final moments knowing that he killed the wrong person.
I actually think that was the only ending Richard deserved. I think he was a fantastic character, probably my favourite on the show, but he was a killer for hire with the blood of many men on his soul. It doesn't matter that he didn't like that life, those crimes can't be excused that easily. Letting him get away with it to start a new life would have been cheap, as would letting him die some heroic sacrifice. Richard died alone with the deaths of all those he killed weighting heavily on his conscience, and that was a perfectly fitting end to an amazing character.