The Next Generation Shower Curtain
By: T'Bonz on May 1

Burton Part of Roots Reboot
By: T'Bonz on May 1

May-June 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 30

Ross To Attend Trek Convention
By: T'Bonz on Apr 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old December 11 2013, 05:02 AM   #301
Christopher
Writer

Re: No female starship captains in the 2250s-60s?

borgboy wrote: View Post
And in all honesty, the segment of fandom that does make homophobic noise anytime there's talk of LGBT inclusion is at least partly responsible for the timid stance ST has had with LGBT characters in the last two or three decades. It's disappointing to see such gutless reactions from the franchise that was so brave and bold in it's racial diversity nearly 50 years ago, making headlines and breaking boundries with the interracial kiss.
I don't think that segment has much clout anymore. I haven't noticed any major uproar over Lost Girl or Orphan Black, for instance. I'm sure there are some who are offended by them, but they don't seem to be a major voice as they once would've been. They're clearly on the wrong side of history, and like I said, the generation coming to maturity now is largely more accepting of diversity. And that's the generation that studios and advertisers will want to appeal to.

So Star Trek may not currently be breaking boundaries, but other shows are. And that'll make it easier for Trek when it finally comes back to television.
Old December 11 2013, 05:13 AM   #302
borgboy
Fleet Captain

I do think there's a lot of truth in that, that society as a whole, not just in media, will continue to shift more towards fairness and equality.

I do think that there will be less upset over "hot lesbians" like you're getting with Lost Girl, but Torchwood was pretty popular too.

I like the optimism that Trek is coming back to television, I hope that happens someday. It's pretty sad how long it's been off tv for, when there was at least one Trek show, often two on at the same time ever since I was a teenager up until after ENT died an early death. I am optimistic that if a new Trek show comes on there will be a gay character. Even if the movies do a gay character, which they should, it's doubtful there will be time to do much with them, not and still have time for Spock and Uhura, and for Kirk to have a love interest and have random threeways. I'd like to be surprised and be proven wrong though.
Old December 11 2013, 05:14 AM   #303
Warped9
Admiral

Factually speaking it's not the first interracial kiss on television or even on Star Trek. It's the first black/white kiss on American television. Shatner kissed Asian France Nuyen earlier in 3rd season in "Elaan Of Troyius." And Cuban Demi Arnez kissed his wife Lucille Ball on their show I Love Lucy years before.
Old December 11 2013, 05:21 AM   #304
Christopher
Writer

^"Elaan" was filmed first, but "Plato's Stepchildren" aired first.
Old December 11 2013, 05:29 AM   #305
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Factually speaking it's not the first interracial kiss on television or even on Star Trek. It's the first black/white kiss on American television. Shatner kissed Asian France Nuyen earlier in 3rd season in "Elaan Of Troyius." And Cuban Demi Arnez kissed his wife Lucille Ball on their show I Love Lucy years before.
All true, but it doesn't chance the importance of the kiss with Kirk and Uhura. That's the one that got the media attention, and whether it makes sense of not, it's the black and white interracial that grabbed people's attention.

To be honest, I never gave France Nuyen's race any thought. I just saw her as an exotic looking woman without even considering the interracial element.
Old December 11 2013, 05:39 AM   #306
Warped9
Admiral

^^ And that's likely how a lot of people saw it.
Old December 11 2013, 10:29 AM   #307
Myko
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
I don't think that segment has much clout anymore. I haven't noticed any major uproar over Lost Girl or Orphan Black, for instance.
I guess the difference is that adding a gay character to an existing show will upset the homophobes already watching it, versus creating a new show with a gay character, which they will have no interest in.
Old December 11 2013, 02:38 PM   #308
Commishsleer
Fleet Captain

View Commishsleer's Twitter Profile

teacake wrote: View Post
I'm not saying it shouldn't be done. I'm speculating as to why it hasn't yet been done.
When I read my relatives FB's I know why it hasn't been done yet. Because a huge chunk of america would die of shock.
I think TPTB think Americans are all delicate and will faint away.
This reminds me of some letter they mentioned in "Making of Star Trek" (I think) where this guy wrote to complain about the Kirk/Uhura kiss. I'm summing it up from memory "You know I don't believe in the mixing of the races but if you've got a beautiful girl in your arms you should kiss her properly."

People get over these things if they're done properly. Like I think they do the bisexual/homosexual thing well in Torchwood. Probably the stuff in 'Lost Girl' and the fan-made Star Trek movie might be too explicit for the general public. Who knows though?

Though, if they had made one of the twins Kirk bedded a boy then that's probably all we'd be talking about and not the rest of the movie
Commishsleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 03:24 PM   #309
Warped9
Admiral

It's all in execution. Star Trek has never been about showing explicit sex. But you can get the point across without being gratuitously graphic.
Old December 11 2013, 05:27 PM   #310
Harvey
Admiral

Elf Spock wrote: View Post
This reminds me of some letter they mentioned in "Making of Star Trek" (I think) where this guy wrote to complain about the Kirk/Uhura kiss.
You must be thinking of another book. The Making of Star Trek was published during the 1968 hiatus, before season three was broadcast.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 09:12 PM   #311
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
This reminds me of some letter they mentioned in "Making of Star Trek" (I think) where this guy wrote to complain about the Kirk/Uhura kiss.
You must be thinking of another book. The Making of Star Trek was published during the 1968 hiatus, before season three was broadcast.
Perhaps he's thinking of Inside Star Trek (the Solow/Justman book) ... I feel hazy on it, but I think there's a reference to a letter sent in by some fan from the South who overcame in some part his own racism after seeing the kiss.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2013, 09:19 PM   #312
Warped9
Admiral

No. I, too, recall that letter being mentioned from way, way back. Could it have been David Gerrold's book The World Of Star Trek?
Old December 11 2013, 11:39 PM   #313
Myko
Captain

I think it's in Shatner's Star Trek Memories.
Old December 12 2013, 12:17 AM   #314
Warped9
Admiral

I'm pretty sure I read it in the '70s.
Old December 12 2013, 06:05 AM   #315
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

No. I, too, recall that letter being mentioned from way, way back. Could it have been David Gerrold's book The World Of Star Trek?
Myko wrote: View Post
I think it's in Shatner's Star Trek Memories.
I'm pretty sure I read it in the '70s.
doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
Perhaps he's thinking of Inside Star Trek (the Solow/Justman book) ... I feel hazy on it, but I think there's a reference to a letter sent in by some fan from the South who overcame in some part his own racism after seeing the kiss.

Ok, I scoured through the Solow/Justman book tonight but couldn't find any mention of the quote I was thinking of, so I took the interwebz and I found the comment I was thinking of, which Wikipedia is attributing it to Nichelle Nichols' autobiography, Nichelle Nichols, Beyond Uhura: Star Trek and Other Memories pp. 196-197:

There were, however, few contemporary records of any complaints commenting on the scene. Nichelle Nichols observes that "Plato's Stepchildren" which first aired in November 1968 "received a huge response. We received one of the largest batches of fan mail ever, all of it very positive, with many addressed to me from girls wondering how it felt to kiss Captain Kirk, and many to him from guys wondering the same thing about me. However, almost no one found the kiss offensive" except from a single mildly negative letter from one white Southerner who wrote: "I am totally opposed to the mixing of the races. However, any time a red-blooded American boy like Captain Kirk gets a beautiful dame in his arms that looks like Uhura, he ain't gonna fight it."
I don't know if this is what the rest of you were thinking about, but this is exactly the quote I was remembering.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote